BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (a) - 26/12/23

Throwing Hilton in is just asking for trouble you could almost expect a rookie who is nowhere near ready to lose a bad goal or two.

Might as well just hope Leo keeps his head and learns from his mistakes it's all part of his development, this is what we'll keep getting when operating the way we now do.

Development squad remember and when they've developed and are any good they'll be gone one by one to pay the bills.

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think we miss JRC for this reason. He’s got a bit of edge to him and has been instrumental in most of the good things we’ve done in the past 12 months.

Agreed. Unfortunately his injury record suggests he isn't somebody we'll be able to rely on for much more than half a season, if we're lucky, though. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roverblue said:

That wasn’t far off our best first 11 yesterday and was a total shambles losing to relegation favourites. The home form is abysmal and has seen us lose 7 already. If the away form now starts to drop we are in massive trouble.

What do you expect when that line up isn’t far off our best eleven?!?!

Did anyone seriously look at that line up and think we’d get a result?

All I hope for when I see that are two things.

Lots of luck.

The owners to fuck off.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Of course not but the point is plenty other people are seeing what some of us see, the gaffer being responsible for the style of football.

To a point he is.

He can only play with the squad at his disposal though. Some fans, rightly and very understandably, are saying we should be less cavalier and far more solid at the back. 

Three points…

where are the hard running, hard tackling experienced midfielders needed to give cover to the back four? Where are the wide midfielders capable of first and foremost giving cover to the full backs for ninety minutes?

How is recruitment achieved? Does Broughton simply scout and bring in the players for JDT - or is the manager given full input and final say on who comes in? I suspect it’s the first option. 

Neither of those two have enough experience of English Championship football for that role. That’s where we are.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

How many Rovers' staff would lose their jobs in such a situation?  

Probably not as many as lost their jobs when we were relegated from Premiership and certainly not as many local businesses that went to wall because of those inept bastards in Pune.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Writing has been on the wall a long time there has always been a push from a few down there to turn us into the modern version of 90's Crewe Alex.

Fancy football coaching players in a certain style that catches the eye of other clubs, regularly sell for not massive money just to pay bills. Then rely on youth, frees etc to replace and develop again whilst doing enough to remain a mid table team on low crowds and low wage bill.

Take cups seriously and have the odd money spinning run and sell the odd big fee player to pay down debts and keep the show on the road.  Not one jot of interest in promotion just aim to avoid relegation and everyone keeps their jobs whilst their little football factory plods on.

Great for a club of that size in a tiny town with max 5k home fans who'll turn up come what may.

Not so good for English footballs tenth most successful team trophy wise with a 31k stadium and 20k+ crowd average potential.

How many “ caught the eye of other clubs “ yesterday ?  Any scouts there would have closed up their iPad at half time and gone home for an early pint.

6 minutes ago, den said:

To a point he is.

He can only play with the squad at his disposal though. Some fans, rightly and very understandably, are saying we should be less cavalier and far more solid at the back. 

Three points…

where are the hard running, hard tackling experienced midfielders needed to give cover to the back four? Where are the wide midfielders capable of first and foremost giving cover to the full backs for ninety minutes?

How is recruitment achieved? Does Broughton simply scout and bring in the players for JDT - or is the manager given full input and final say on who comes in? I suspect it’s the first option. 

Neither of those two have enough experience of English Championship football for that role. That’s where we are.

That’s were the “ fatigue “ thing puzzles me, how can you get fatigued when half the time you’re playing walking football ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

continuing to pick the goalkeeper that continues to make mistakes that cost us goals

Suggests he has no confidence in any of the other keepers on the books I fully expect Pears to walk straight back in the side when fit. We don't have a decent keeper to pick.

21 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Hopefully very few, if any. The club is probably running with a minimal number of staff as it is. They will still needed post admin.

Suhail would go - that would save a big wage allow retention of necessary staff.  Waggott could be replaced with a more effective but less expensive CEO.

5 hours ago, BigBar said:

Keep reading how we are playing the best stuff we have for years and how much people are enjoying the current style of play, not sure about what is currently classed as enjoyable but I certainly don't enjoy:

Conceeding soft goals from keeper errors every week

Full backs getting skint alive regularly

Centre halves looking beyond uncomfortable trying to play it out from the back

Conceeding possession in dangerous areas multiple times a game

Getting bullied by any team with a big of steal about it

Passing for the sake of passing whilst going nowhere

Hesitation to shoot when in very good situations in and around the box

Little or no threat from set pieces

An abysmal record when conceeding first

No plan B

Managers substitutions leading to multiple dropped points and/or defeats

Conceeding the most amount of goals in the last 15 mins of games

The inability to close up shop and put games to bed. It's isn't brave football it's stupid. Wide open til the 95th minute.

Losing every game when there is any sort of pressure riding on it, derby games and playoff places mainly, cup game Vs Sheff U a classic example.

As someone said earlier, enjoyable football is winning football. Not sure why this current manager is getting protected so much, regardless of the current owners etc(we all know they are shite) but some of this managers traits and shortcomings are damning. Very frustrating.

Count me firmly in the "not enjoying this football" category.

Might be the best post I’ve read on here in a while 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

If reports are to be believed the Indian government's restrictions on Venkys could put the same people out of employment.

Or if Venkys woke up tomorrow and decided to completely turn off the ever decreasing trickle they'd be unemployed.

How many people have already lost their jobs since Venkys took over due to ever dwindling income and cost cutters like Waggott running the show?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not for a minute calling for JDT’s head.

He’s up against it being our manager with Venky’s as his bosses, a shit budget, which has been further reduced with all this Indian government nonsense that’s reared its head lately.

But- players not trying yesterday, continuing to pick the goalkeeper that continues to make mistakes that cost us goals and not being pragmatic, when his style of play clearly isn’t working is all on him, I’m afraid.

but was working when we were winning games in October and November? very few people were questioning JDT tactics then?

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It’s the message it sends though- keep messing up without consequences, doesn’t encourage him to stop messing up really….

Or you backed Wahlstedt cos you believe he is right one for the team

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

Probably not as many as lost their jobs when we were relegated from Premiership and certainly not as many local businesses that went to wall because of those inept bastards in Pune.

which local businesses went to wall cos relegation Gav? 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

but was working when we were winning games in October and November? very few people were questioning JDT tactics then?

Or you backed Wahlstedt cos you believe he is right one for the team

which local businesses went to wall cos relegation Gav? 

At least 4 pubs around the ground! Thats without thinking of every other business! 

1 hour ago, booth said:

What do you expect when that line up isn’t far off our best eleven?!?!

Did anyone seriously look at that line up and think we’d get a result?

All I hope for when I see that are two things.

Lots of luck.

The owners to fuck off.

I did, then the game kicked off.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Throwing Hilton in is just asking for trouble you could almost expect a rookie who is nowhere near ready to lose a bad goal or two.

Hilton is 24. Has been on loan in the Scottish premiership. If he is still nowhere near ready effectively third choice and getting no game time I would suggest he needs moving on save a wage and promote Felix Goddard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

Hilton is 24. Has been on loan in the Scottish premiership. If he is still nowhere near ready effectively third choice and getting no game time I would suggest he needs moving on save a wage and promote Felix Goddard

Well you've probably answered it all there so no point throwing him in as if deemed good enough he'd have had a go by now.

But they deemed an 800k fee on Leo to be the better course of action to provide no 2 competition for Pears.