BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

Just now, RoverCanada said:

Sorry, my wording conflated a couple things.

Elliot's 'exclusive' report is that GB is staying (at least in the short term), and it's implied he knows that because he had a quick off-the-record chat with GB, presumably when he also found out GB will be doing an post-transfer window interview in a month's time.

Elliot also went through his understanding of the McGuire saga (as I think he's already written before), including that the deal was not pulled mid-flight and that the numbers reported by The Athletic are too high. So, I guessed that he got these slightly more Rovers-friendly details from GB, but that's purely me guessing, and you're right that it doesn't chime with it being an 'off the record' chat.

It's a good episode tbf. They did good!

Also a nice little reference to the 4000 holes pod. Always helpful!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

A few tidbits from Elliot on that podcast. I think he's already written some of this, but more may be coming in future articles:

- Who knows what story/side to believe, but he says he had an 'off-the-record' chat with GB. Elliot rubbishes the story of the initial McGuire deal being cancelled midflight, although reiterates Venky's did suddenly pull the funding for the deal. Says the initial deal was for ~£2.5m*. When Venky's pulled the plug, McGuire flew over anyway to negotiate with Sheff Wed. They couldn't come to an agreement, so his agent came back to GB about a loan-to-buy, with the buy cost increasing to ~£3.5m*.

*I'm probably misremembering the exact figures. Main point is his sources (probably Rovers-linked) are insisting quotes of up to $7.5m are way off.

- GB is staying, at least for the short-term, and was actively chatting with Eustace before/during/after the Stoke game. He'll be speaking to the media about the transfer window during/after the international break in March as he wants to give Eustace some breathing space first. Not sure if SW will speak.

- Elliot didn't seem 100% sure, but he's under the impression Eustuce is a SW pick. Interestingly, he also suggests GB wasn't the one who picked out JDT (so maybe SW made the first contact with JDT?), but GB had a role in bringing him in/finalising it.

I'm probably remembering it wrong but I thought GB said that the club/SW had a shortlist of managers or maybe even interviewed some of them and then he came in, saw the list (rubbished it basically) and put JDT's name forward. 

I'm sure he said or heavily implied that he was the man to bring JDT to the club in one of his interviews.

Edited by davulsukur

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

So Elliot had an off the record chat with GB and then Elliot spoke about what was said in the podcast?Even if what some of us suspect and the money was never there to do any kind of deal he isn't going to say that to Elliot

does anyone believe elliot , he wont have the nads to talk to anyone and ask "proper " questions. He is a copy/paste chap.

9 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Sorry, my wording conflated a couple things.

Elliot's 'exclusive' report is that GB is staying (at least in the short term), and it's implied he knows that because he had a quick off-the-record chat with GB, presumably when he also found out GB will be doing an post-transfer window interview in a month's time.

Elliot also went through his understanding of the McGuire saga (as I think he's already written before), including that the deal was not pulled mid-flight and that the numbers reported by The Athletic are too high. So, I guessed that he got these slightly more Rovers-friendly details from GB, but that's purely me guessing, and you're right that it doesn't chime with it being an 'off the record' chat.

Here's the article itself: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24119456.latest-gregg-broughtons-blackburn-rovers-future/, as we should all support local journalism, etc etc...

41 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm probably remembering it wrong but I thought GB said that the club/SW had a shortlist of managers or maybe even interviewed some of them and then he came in, saw the list (rubbished it basically) and put JDT's name forward. 

I'm sure he said or heavily implied that he was the man to bring JDT to the club in one of his interviews.

I listened to it while churning through some boring work in the late evening, so possible I mixed up the details there too!

• Like 1

It was February 3rd last year when Broughton spoke publicly about the O'Brien and Brierley farce and he accepted full responsibility. This year he won't be speaking until some time in March. That's a long time to concoct a story. He will probably have been to Orlando by then and secured McGuire on a pre contract as some from of appeasement to us.

It doesn't wash with me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was February 3rd last year when Broughton spoke publicly about the O'Brien and Brierley farce and he accepted full responsibility. This year he won't be speaking until some time in March. That's a long time to concoct a story. He will probably have been to Orlando by then and secured McGuire on a pre contract as some from of appeasement to us.

It doesn't wash with me.

I see there has been no announcement that someone has been fired over this.

The silence from the club is deafening. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I see there has been no announcement that someone has been fired over this.

The silence from the club is deafening. 

Thats because they don't want our season ticket money yet.

• Like 3

I think they believe that the managerial change does all the work for them, nothing else to say.

New era, look and listen to Eustace, forget about what happened before.

What January window fiasco?

What £20 million?

Who is Adam Wharton?

Nothing to see here folks, business as usual. Issues addressed.

Another few years on the train for Waggott, Lowe and the rest.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It doesn't wash with me.

They have tried to make out it was a simple case of the wrong button being pressed.

In isolation that perhaps could be believed, but given what happened last year and also no person as yet has been held responsible, it beggars belief.

It remains to be seen how Broughton dresses this up, but I can't see him admitting to it being deliberate sabotage, as that is exactly how it appears to me right now.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

Here's the article itself: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24119456.latest-gregg-broughtons-blackburn-rovers-future/, as we should all support local journalism, etc etc...

I listened to it while churning through some boring work in the late evening, so possible I mixed up the details there too!

Nar, my memory is abysmal. There is a good chance I've remembered incorrectly. 

It was more than 5 minutes ago, so chances are I don't remember it correctly at all.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think they believe that the managerial change does all the work for them, nothing else to say.

What £20 million?

Who is Adam Wharton?

and the average Joe in our ever decreasing attendances will swallow it all whole.

Pathetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

What £20 million?

Who is Adam Wharton?

Waggott, Broughton Lowe and the rest.

3 hours ago, lraC said:

They have tried to make out it was a simple case of the wrong button being pressed.

In isolation that perhaps could be believed, but given what happened last year and also no person as yet has been held responsible, it beggars belief.

It remains to be seen how Broughton dresses this up, but I can't see him admitting to it being deliberate sabotage, as that is exactly how it appears to me right now.

With the head coach change obviously being on the cards in the background for a while and the CEO now seemingly bringing in players over the last head coach and DoFs head it all points to being deliberate.

He won't commit to that kind of signing and the new head coach he's brought in is a fire fighter who'll be prepared to lose more good players in summer and work with 1 shirt button as a budget.

It's all being lined up by Waggot for a further downscale and water treading under him is set to be replaced by annual relegation scraps.

What does he really know about the future financing or is this him and shadowman trying to impress the ownership again with their new model of Rovers.....

• Like 1

Nothing against Eustace, nor am I a fan of the previous model of playing a certain style of football for the sole purpose of flogging players at a profit, however it does seem odd that we've gone from one polar extreme to the other.

You'd have thought a more logical move would have been to get someone in with a not too dissimilar mindset to JDT but with the ability to dig in when necessary.

It could end badly in the short term, however in view of the turmoil surrounding the Club I don't suppose we had too many options. I'm quite surprised Eustace came really, although unfortunately from his initial comments  it seems he's happy to keep his head down and not comment on off field shenanigans, and work under whatever circumstances are thrown at him.

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

With the head coach change obviously being on the cards in the background for a while and the CEO now seemingly bringing in players over the last head coach and DoFs head it all points to being deliberate.

He won't commit to that kind of signing and the new head coach he's brought in is a fire fighter who'll be prepared to lose more good players in summer and work with 1 shirt button as a budget.

It's all being lined up by Waggot for a further downscale and water treading under him is set to be replaced by annual relegation scraps.

What does he really know about the future financing or is this him and shadowman trying to impress the ownership again with their new model of Rovers.....

It's all very good trying to run on tuppence ha'penny and an old Mars bar wrapper but there are only so many relegation scraps any Club  can survive  before they fall through the trap door.

Waggott is probably aware of this but everything he's done since he's been at the Club seems to have been designed to downsize everything. He's probably hoping to eke it all out just long enough until he retires then he can sail off into the sunset never to be seen again with a bank account bursting at the seams and a rotting carcass left behind him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nothing against Eustace, nor am I a fan of the previous model of playing a certain style of football for the sole purpose of flogging players at a profit, however it does seem odd that we've gone from one polar extreme to the other.

You'd have thought a more logical move would have been to get someone in with a not too dissimilar mindset to JDT but with the ability to dig in when necessary.

It could end badly in the short term, however in view of the turmoil surrounding the Club I don't suppose we had too many options. I'm quite surprised Eustace came really, although unfortunately from his initial comments  it seems he's happy to keep his head down and not comment on off field shenanigans, and work under whatever circumstances are thrown at him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let's hope he can achieve that chaddy.

Birmingham supporters appeared to be of the view his style of play was dull to say the least.

Which is OK IF you're getting results playing like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Let's hope he can achieve that chaddy.

Birmingham supporters appeared to be of the view his style of play was dull to say the least.

Which is OK IF you're getting results playing like that.

He played a style according to the players he had. The better quality players he had the, better style he played. 

Last season, his Birmingham team were one of the best team I seen at Ewood. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wish him all the best and I very much hope I am wrong but I'm really not feeling this appointment. Proof will be on the pitch and what happens behind the scenes but he doesn't give me anything to feel excited about, confident about or even interested in. Early days and hopefully I look silly down the line...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's all very good trying to run on tuppence ha'penny and an old Mars bar wrapper but there are only so many relegation scraps any Club  can survive  before they fall through the trap door.

Waggott is probably aware of this but everything he's done since he's been at the Club seems to have been designed to downsize everything. He's probably hoping to eke it all out just long enough until he retires then he can sail off into the sunset never to be seen again with a bank account bursting at the seams and a rotting carcass left behind him.

As was mentioned by philipL Waggot can't manage upwards only downwards that is where every bit of his experience and expertise - if we want to call it that - is.

He was in a similar role at two clubs going rapidly backwards in Charlton and Coventry his whole ethos is that of squeeze what you have and shrink into a more manageable size.  Do we ever believe that he has presented a 3 year plan to the owners to aim for the top 6 ?

Do we ever believe hes gone and said i strongly recommend backing Tony for a striker to push us over the line it's the best chance we have. Or that hes gone to them and said we need to do an ST drive like PNE and Bolton to reboot the crowds and improve all aspects of matchday experience ?

No chance all he does is present his modest targets and cost cutting ideas year on year to plod along. There s no way in hell he didn't know the huge risks of the model being run now even he isn't that thick, did he scream to the owners this will only go one way we'll end up relying on luck ?

Did he balls.

And that is a continuing major issue at Rovers the lack of a Blackburn based and Blackburn focused board of directors. Suhail is the owners puppet and he is Suhails puppet and a cosy little number they are both on i assume.

• Like 8

Really hoping Eustice does well but the fact he's Waggotts man unfairly taints him. I really liked JDT. Flawed tactics at times, yes, however he gave me a connection to Rovers. He wanted what was best for the club from top to bottom. Eustice has to do his talking on the pitch as I can feel the fans turning on the club in a far more volatile way if he doesn't. It's very risky business if you end up being seen as a puppet. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

This tells us a lot of information. 

If you watch this after watching the  video with the academy a lot will make sense.

He isn't here to coach a style per session he is here to man manage players hence talking up Buckley and Travis who clearly cost a lot of wages and didn't suit jdt style. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets them back on the good books and the club sells them.

As post above says, 

Really hoping Eustice does well but the fact he's Waggotts man unfairly taints him. I really liked JDT

Proof in the pudding will be in how we play rather than soundbites in interviews.

He has a reputation for pragmatic, direct football and we certainly played long ball on Tuesday, it ws horrendous to watch. Its all about results but I think he needs to find a balance as he gets used to the players because aimless punts wont work. 

• Like 2