BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Aynsley Pears appreciation thread.

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Pears is improving without a doubt and is streets ahead of the Swedish lad who is one of the main reasons we are in relegation trouble. He still only 25 - young for a goalkeeper, and his game is beginning to mature.

I'd like to see him more dominant in the 6-yard box from crosses and corners - several times last night he should have come out to catch or punch the ball away but stayed on his line. 

I agree with this summary particularly the second paragraph. He stays rooted to his line from corners and that just invites problems. 

We already knew he's  a good shot stopper, but I'd like to see him go 10 games before throwing a ball into his own net before I'm even near satisfied. As things stand we still desperately need a safe pair of hands for next season. 

Edited by Commondore
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, alcd said:

Perhaps this thread can be closed down after today's all too typical feeble flap in the air in the build-up to the first goal?

Pears has played really well recently, and I hoped his club-best showing against Newcastle would spur him onto some confident keeping and new heights. Then I watched the goals from yesterday and realised I was being too optimistic.

I'm confused by his showing yesterday tbh, as I've long felt he's a confidence player, so I'm not sure why after impressing on national (and international) TV he played like he's been leaking 4 a game. Hopefully just a blip, because if we get the Pears of yesteryear again we are as good as relegated.

I do think he was fouled for that first goal though and likely would have saved it otherwise. But the flap was pathetic and he moved in the wrong direction for the second goal, which really wasn't aimed far from his starting position.

Edited by bluebruce

Pears is a reasonable number 2, in that he's young enough to be on the bench and still have 10-15 years of a career left as a GK nowhere near his best years. An ok shot stopper but not someone who a centre half would trust..

He should be nowhere near a number 1 slot. Alas, GK has never been a priority under this rabble. Like centre halves aren't. 

He will always have a mistake,  because he shouldn't be at this level week in week out.

Kean, Walton, Steele (still shit), Pears, Wahlstadt,  Leutwiler, all number 2s at best , but that's at clubs who don't just go for cheapest will do

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

This thread hasn’t aged well

Pears has that one game in 10 where he looks like prime Buffon, but in the other 9 he ranges from a steady championship keeper to a Sunday League bench player. Unfortunately, the latter almost always comes up in key matches where we're expected to do well, like yesterday.

Was barely qualified to be on the bench when we signed him and should never have been a number 1 at this level. Whoever made the decision to keep him in (JDT or otherwise) last season needs to give their head a wobble.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Pears has that one game in 10 where he looks like prime Buffon, but in the other 9 he ranges from a steady championship keeper to a Sunday League bench player. Unfortunately, the latter almost always comes up in key matches where we're expected to do well, like yesterday.

Was barely qualified to be on the bench when we signed him and should never have been a number 1 at this level. Whoever made the decision to keep him in (JDT or otherwise) last season needs to give their head a wobble.

Buffon one match, Buffoon the next.

• Like 4

Repeated mistakes and poor in general is the real issue and it'll happen again that's why he remains in the spotlight.

This isn't a Tim Flowers or Paul Robinson isolated incident in a top level god knows how many games difference.  Calamity James and Joe Hart in between regular bloopers produced world class performances there is no comparison.

Yes still early in his career and he's never getting to those levels but a team like us cannot afford TWO such poor keepers.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Viktor Johansson, who's been among the best keepers in the league for two seasons running despite playing for a hopeless Rotherham side, has a £750.000 relegation release clause... 

I'd be all over that, but so will half the league sadly.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Viktor Johansson, who's been among the best keepers in the league for two seasons running despite playing for a hopeless Rotherham side, has a £750.000 relegation release clause... 

Outstanding in the game at Ewood

He'd be first on my list if we manage to stay up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Englands number 1 (Admitted to creating the divot himself by the way)

I was right behind that one - it was a total freak. It was in a game that didn't matter that much either.

The Pears one is on another level for what it means.

I would have thought the club would have maybe waited slightly on this too, come on Admin, the comments are, well, as you can imagine...

Anyway, Happy Birthday Aynsley Pears. Hope you manage to enjoy your day. However bad we feel as fans, blimey, imagine what it's been like for him. Poor bloke.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.58.17.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

That’s probably £750,000 more than our transfer budget will be. 

It wont apply as his release clause is for Rotherham being relegated which they have been, so why would he come to a League 1 Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 1