BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 2/3/24

After the Lord Mayor's Show?

Will John Eustace be proven a genius giving his two complete midfields 60 minutes each against Newcastle affirming and inspiring them or will all the players be totally drained physically or emotionally?

This is not quite a must not lose but it is an opportunity to move sharpish towards the 50 points total. We don't want to be regretting a rubbish loss when the following results come in:

Millwall v Watford

Rotherham v Sheffield Wednesday

Stoke v Middlesbrough

Brum and Plymouth are entertaining Southampton and Ipswich while QPR go to Leicester- stranger things have happened than those three strugglers winning..

So fingers crossed for a second South Wales clean sheet. A more inspired performance than Cardiff would be a greatly appreciated bonus. Swansea are a bit of a nothing team but they can be dangerous and produce the goods as we know all too well from their visit to Ewood in October. Timely revenge required.

• Like 1

As good as Tuesday was it will count for nothing come 3 o'clock on Saturday. Their form over the last six games has yielded exactly the same as ours, six points but they have three defeats in that as opposed to our two. They have scored less and conceded more but significantly they have lost their last four home league matches. I guess the approach from Rovers will be similar to the Cardiff match where we keep the game tight and compact and frustrate the home players and crowd. A gradual opening up and changes to personnel and formation could be part of the game plan. The three at the back has worked well so far and is a system which suits our centre , and the wing backs and midfield players seem comfortable too.

Hopefully we can nick it and it's certainty within our capability to do so. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

As good as Tuesday was it will count for nothing come 3 o'clock on Saturday. Their form over the last six games has yielded exactly the same as ours, six points but they have three defeats in that as opposed to our two. They have scored less and conceded more but significantly they have lost their last four home league matches. I guess the approach from Rovers will be similar to the Cardiff match where we keep the game tight and compact and frustrate the home players and crowd. A gradual opening up and changes to personnel and formation could be part of the game plan. The three at the back has worked well so far and is a system which suits our centre , and the wing backs and midfield players seem comfortable too.

Hopefully we can nick it and it's certainty within our capability to do so. 

I think Eustace has had a quick look at the squad and decided to play in ways that add to our strengths. Imagine that ! Three centre backs because we are quite well off for centre backs, especially when Carter returns. We also have the lad from Crewe and the kid from Liverpool. Two wing backs because our normal full backs, Brittain and Pickering aren’t the world’s best defenders but they can put a good ball in. If Hedges was fit he could play out on the left again. A passing player and a tackler in central midfield and two busy attacking players in Sammi and Dolan playing off a lone striker in Gally ( when he’s fit of course. ) 

It makes sense to me. We just need to get a run of games out of them so they can build up an understanding of the expected patterns of play.

It makes sense to me 

• Like 3

It will be my first visit to Swansea on Saturday, train leaves Preston at 6:00am and meeting up with some friends from across the Severn bridge.

I’m not expecting the same levels of intensity as Tuesday and I expect Eustace to make a few changes.

O’Riordan in for McFadzean and Telalovic for Gallagher would be my guesses.

• Like 1

• K-Hod pinned this topic

Sounds from Eustace like Gallagher and Tronstad will be fit which is a big boost. I have to say to be honest I am expecting us to start playing well and start winning now. We know how the Championship works - snakes and ladders with the death spirals and winning streaks. I think we should be getting back on the horse and putting a run together. Maybe I am being naive, but I've seen enough from the way we are playing to be optimistic about it. 

I still probably go 352 despite the 343 working so well against Newcastle because we need to be able to rotate our three decent forwards. We will run them into the ground if we play all three every game, and we run out of legs in the last 30 mins where bringing on one of them fresh would really help us.

Team I would pick (think Eustace will probably stick 343) : 

Pears

Hyam    McFadz   Wharton

Brittain     Tronstad   Buckley   Moran    Pickering

Gallagher    Szmodics

Subs : Bring on Dolan, Chrisene, Ayeri, Markanday for more legs as the game wears on.

• Like 5

The players were absolutely up for it in the F.A.Cup where they could showcase their talents(or lack of them)on the world stage against Newcastle.

Different situation against Swansea away. Rather agree with Joeys comments here.

Resting players and using the squad intelligently key.

Perhaps another 2 x 2 in midfield(Buckley & Moran ;then at least Ayari coming on, with Markanday getting another cameo in the Szmodics/Gallagher(??) position. .

Dont want too little size/weight and bite but these lads have earned the game-time for me.

Koumetio one to bring on when we have at least a 3(yes three)goal cushion.

Edited by harryhealless1928
Forgot to complete last sentence.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

After the Lord Mayor's Show?

Will John Eustace be proven a genius giving his two complete midfields 60 minutes each against Newcastle affirming and inspiring them or will all the players be totally drained physically or emotionally?

This is not quite a must not lose but it is an opportunity to move sharpish towards the 50 points total. We don't want to be regretting a rubbish loss when the following results come in:

Millwall v Watford

Rotherham v Sheffield Wednesday

Stoke v Middlesbrough

Brum and Plymouth are entertaining Southampton and Ipswich while QPR go to Leicester- stranger things have happened than those three strugglers winning..

So fingers crossed for a second South Wales clean sheet. A more inspired performance than Cardiff would be a greatly appreciated bonus. Swansea are a bit of a nothing team but they can be dangerous and produce the goods as we know all too well from their visit to Ewood in October. Timely revenge required.

every game going forward now should be of a "must not lose" mentality. Rovers have now set the bar against Newcastle and shown that the are much better than what we have seen all season, so now going forward there will be no excuse for the shit to continue

Would go with team as @joey_big_nose post.

Wont be easy but the lads really should be buzzing after showing just what they are capable of against Newcastle.

The thinking now amongst some sports' scientists is physical tiredness is all in the mind.  So after 3 full days' rest, the lads should run out at Swansea eager, hungry and ready to give it a feckin good go.

My optimism levels have been restored after Tuesday and I'm going for a 3-1 Rovers' win.

32 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Sounds from Eustace like Gallagher and Tronstad will be fit which is a big boost. I have to say to be honest I am expecting us to start playing well and start winning now. We know how the Championship works - snakes and ladders with the death spirals and winning streaks. I think we should be getting back on the horse and putting a run together. Maybe I am being naive, but I've seen enough from the way we are playing to be optimistic about it. 

I still probably go 352 despite the 343 working so well against Newcastle because we need to be able to rotate our three decent forwards. We will run them into the ground if we play all three every game, and we run out of legs in the last 30 mins where bringing on one of them fresh would really help us.

Team I would pick (think Eustace will probably stick 343) : 

Pears

Hyam    McFadz   Wharton

Brittain     Tronstad   Buckley   Moran    Pickering

Gallagher    Szmodics

Subs : Bring on Dolan, Chrisene, Ayeri, Markanday for more legs as the game wears on.

Incidentally on this - I would say based on current form and performance I think that first XI is a decent top half Championship standard... only questions for me are Moran (who was excellent at Newcastle so maybe turning it around) and if I had a choice would prefer JRC to Brittain. Brittain is a fantastic receiver of the ball and can't half put a shift in getting up and down. But he struggles to impact games in my view - his final ball rarely works (Stoke game apart...). But still think they are both better than relegation standard.

The bench is worrying though.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One really interesting aspect of this game is that the referee is Rebecca Welch. I'm certain this is the first time we have had a female referee.

If Rebecca is a grand daughter of Raquel then should be a good watch!

• Like 3

I'd be really surprised to see szmodics available on Saturday and if he is I'd be tempted to home back until the 2nd half. Sounds as though gally might be fit as too with tronstad. I'd maybe consider the big crewe lad if there is some wear in the cbs. 5 outfield players played 120 mins on Tuesday and with the fixture list as it is we've got to careful there.

I'd go:

Pears

Hyam.   Fadz.   Wharton

Brittain.  Buckley  tronstad Pickering

Markanday   Dolan.           

Gally

Subs: wahlsted, o'riordan, Billy, duru or gilsenan, chrisene, garrett, moran, siggy, telalovic

Don't be surprised if we lose this

Tuesday will have taken alot out of the players. They put in one hell of an effort for 120 minutes and their legs will still be feeling it on Saturday. Then there's the emotional climbdown after losing on penalties

Eustace will have to manage the team carefully and gets his subs right to nurse us through the game. I'd be very happy with a point but I think it'll be:

Swansea 2 Rovers 1

from who got rested tuesday I guess he may go:

pears

hyam mcfadz wharton

britain buckley tronstad pickering 

szmods  dolan
         Gallagher

Chrisen will prob need a rest, mcfadz came off a littler early, dolan buckley both came off early. Gally sound slike he aint too bad, reckon he gets a good hour in this. I also think Moran has got himself up the pecking order after tuesday, he impressed me as ive not been a fan, but the cm role suited him more, i also think it depends who hes in their with as hes a tad lightweight. 

Reaks of a game where I think we need to be winning with 60\70 gone to hold on to some form of point(s). Would not be surprised if we draw, and i would certainly take it. Think we should be aiming for 7 points from next 3 games injuries depending. 

Edited by ruggles1995

3 hours ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Going to be some tired legs out there, would be happy with a point.

The two games after this are huge, anything less than six points there is a failure.

Lets not start making excuses here,we desperately need the points,we need a performance and effort like Tuesday...EVERY game from now till Season end.

25 minutes ago, ElTwis said:

He picked up an injury during a game that needs surgery, that can happen to anyone. I think it's a bit dramatic to be overly critical of the recruitment team here.

It appears this injury is related to the the twice-operated broken fibula. He had played for Sheff Utd for only a few minutes after his second op. It's a wasteful pointless signing that reflects very badly on Broughton and the medical team. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

from who got rested tuesday I guess he may go:

pears

hyam mcfadz wharton

britain buckley tronstad pickering 

szmods  dolan
         Gallagher

Chrisen will prob need a rest, mcfadz came off a littler early, dolan buckley both came off early. Gally sound slike he aint too bad, reckon he gets a good hour in this. I also think Moran has got himself up the pecking order after tuesday, he impressed me as ive not been a fan, but the cm role suited him more, i also think it depends who hes in their with as hes a tad lightweight. 

Reaks of a game where I think we need to be winning with 60\70 gone to hold on to some form of point(s). Would not be surprised if we draw, and i would certainly take it. Think we should be aiming for 7 points from next 3 games injuries depending. 

That would be my team.

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Swansea City (a) - 2/3/24
3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Incidentally on this - I would say based on current form and performance I think that first XI is a decent top half Championship standard... only questions for me are Moran (who was excellent at Newcastle so maybe turning it around) and if I had a choice would prefer JRC to Brittain. Brittain is a fantastic receiver of the ball and can't half put a shift in getting up and down. But he struggles to impact games in my view - his final ball rarely works (Stoke game apart...). But still think they are both better than relegation standard.

The bench is worrying though.

Think that's harsh on Brittain, his vision and delivery is his strongest asset IMO, that pass for Gallagher against PNE was incredible. He's got the 2nd highest assists with 6, 4 in the league and 2 in cups. I think we will see more from him as the season goes on as he's playing as a more traditional FB/WB where he seems most comfortable.

Inverting him as JDT was doing doesn't get the best out of his ability to get up and down. JRC is the man for the inverted role, although that could be a thing of the past under JE. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElTwis said:

He picked up an injury during a game that needs surgery, that can happen to anyone. I think it's a bit dramatic to be overly critical of the recruitment team here.

Don't think the lad has had 90 minutes in the last 12 months after having suffered at least one leg break.

This signing had to be high risk and should have been avoided. 

• Like 1