BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 2/3/24

Almost all the teams below and within 4 points of us have, on paper, difficult fixtures today.

Stoke within 4 points of us currently sit in the relegation zone.

Plymouth sitting at 15th can be included in the desperate need for points.

It would boost the survival hopes of all those teams to pick up 3 points today.

A win for us today would be huge but a point would not be a failure.

COYB 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s amazing what Tuesday night has done for confidence - I can’t see us loosing this one for some strange reason.

Id love a win but think a draw is on the cards here - a clean sheet would be Lovely.

Being a Rovers fan has given me great Pleasure at times but a also a very pessimistic view…

I think today will be the day when all the bounces go against us, probably a penalty against and either a worldie or a “fell on his arse and the ball bounced off him to deceive Pears” type.

2-0 Swansea I fear but I hope I’m wrong 

• Like 1

After Tuesday I’m far less worried about our squad depth. Of course it would be great to have a bit more quality and experience, but suddenly Markanday, Ayari, Koumetio and Chrisene all look capable of playing a part, and Moran looks like he’s hitting form again.

Hopefully confidence is high in the squad and they can reach similar levels of Arte et Labore as they did against Newcastle.

• Like 3

It's one of those games where expectations are naturally very high, on the back of a performance to be proud of on Tuesday against much higher quality (on paper) opposition.

Which means we probably need to gird our loins and expect a reverse - unless of course JE has connected deeply enough with his players for them to conjure another cohesive and committed showing. We know that Rovers have often struggled away this season against lower ranked teams, and that key to getting any kind of result is the imperative to score first and defend like the Alamo.

If we put in a Davy Crockett level of energy and take the game to Swansea then there is no reason to fear the outcome. If we concede early and heads go down on the assumption we can claw things back later in the season, we are fecked.

For avoidance of doubt, I'm absolutely desperate for the team to build on the platform we gave ourselves on Tuesday, and to gain more upward momentum away from the anathema of relegation. We know that on the day, practically any team in the division can beat any other, so we need the rub of the green in terms of lucky bounces, passes that come off rather than drift away, a referee who isn't a complete spoon and conditions that suit our style of play (which JE seems to have found in a remarkably short space of time).

More please in terms of the astounding levels of effort.

More please in terms of the staunch resolve in front of goal (both ends).

More please in terms of solid no nonsense use of the ball, with a smattering of the fast movement and tippy-tap on the break to hurt and confound the opposition.

More please of those back-slap high five big grin YEAH moments that showed these players care on Tuesday against the bar-codes.

More please that I, as a Rovers fan, can be proud to be part of, and look back on for years to come.

COYB!!  

• Like 4

Safe trip to the Rovers hordes, who will be making one of the longest trips of the season, lets hope the lads can reward that loyalty with at least a point. 

Swansea 1 Rovers 1

I always think setting out to sit back for a draw is asking for trouble but setting out to protect the 0 but showing some intent at the top end is justified.

If anyone knows what i mean.

Anyway i'd snatch the hand off for a point or three however they might come but still think we need to score first.

• Like 2

This feels like a strangely important game. The players need to show that they can carry the performances shown on Tuesday into a league game, the manager needs to show that the tactics and motivation weren't just for the cameras.

Our squad is thin, so we will inevitably play some of the guys who haven't looked up to it this season, we all know the players I'm talking about - against Newcastle they turned in performances to a man to match a much higher opposition. They need to show that it wasn't a one off.

Feels odd to say but I'd prefer another draw if we look like maintaining that style and quality over a win where we look shaky but manage to make it happen anyway - I think that over the course of the rest of the season we'll get more points that way. Obviously a win in good style is ideal.

A defeat and poor performance could undo all the positivity and be if anything more damaging than usual.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I always think setting out to sit back for a draw is asking for trouble but setting out to protect the 0 but showing some intent at the top end is justified.

If anyone knows what i mean.

Anyway i'd snatch the hand off for a point or three however they might come but still think we need to score first.

Know exactly what you mean, it is a fine balancing act. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Still people wittering on about tired legs 🤣

Haha. Yep these are professional athletes! 

They will be fine. Should be a great game. 1-0 to rovers. We want it more than them

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t get it. Tell players they’re tired and they’ll play like it. 

It’s a bullshit argument. No professional athlete should have tired anything 3 full days after their last exertion. If you’re the wrong side of 40 and spend all week sat at a desk while consuming galllons ale, maybe.  

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

It’s a bullshit argument. No professional athlete should have tired anything 3 full days after their last exertion. If you’re the wrong side of 40 and spend all week sat at a desk while consuming galllons ale, maybe.  

I'm 42 and train 5 or 6 times a week and like an ale too, so there's definitely no excuse for <40 year old pros!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

There is also the use of subs. JE has, since he arrived, used 5, 5, 3, 3, 3 and 5 subs and in the Cup game they were quite early.

Also clubs employ loads of staff to guage players fitness and workload and amend training at an individual level to that players needs.

Managers and coaches have been using the scheduling excuse for decades.