BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (h) - 09/03/2024

27 minutes ago, roverblue said:

We should have been beat by 5-6 goals today. Luckily Plymouth couldn’t finish their dinner.

The formation was all wrong as they seemed to have the run of the flanks all game whilst we had 3 centre half’s marking a single striker. The 3 then kept arguing over who was supposed to be marking him and letting him run through.

Total shambles we are going down and deserve it.

We shouldn't, we should have been 2 up and cruising. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Time to start asking some serious questions of the players now. Big bad JDT is long gone but they are still in victim mindset. Full of excuses, pass the blame, avoid accountability, take the easy way out at every opportunity, defeatist and soft as shite.

That Waggott meeting and that Brittain quote. Jesus what a bunch of spineless gits. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Andy said:

I genuinely couldn't get past the first sentence of that post-match interview:

'The effort the group put in to limit them to very few chances was amazing'

Does he think that the game was played behind closed doors?
We saw Plymouth have about 17 efforts on goal with our own eyes - and they should have been out of sight by HT.

Baffling.

Steve kean is that you?

• Like 5

Absolute bobbins, I'm firmly in a relegation preparedness state. We have today been carved open and generally speaking been pasted by Plymouth in thankfully all but score line. We had the same troubles throughout the game and the manager didn't seem to see them and or act on them, it was an extremely worrying watch. 

Somebody at the club please be kind and lead Mr Eustace by the arm and tell him to call a spade a spade, we've had decades of bullshit and don't take too kindly to it. This post and pre match football cliché lottery is starting to grate massively. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

We shouldn't, we should have been 2 up and cruising. 

Thats easy to say from the Sigurdsson chance but Plymouth had 2 or 3 big chances themselves in that period. 2 one on ones alone when our CBs had no clue from a long ball. 2 up is blinkered looking at our chances alone. We should have been level in my eyes, as every single stat would validate. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It was so obvious to me and those around me that he should come off at half time. 

Euseless

He was run by time and time again (all 3 of them were) but he was the biggest culprit. The fact the change wasn’t made at half shows how much Eustace is just playing negative for draws. 

• Like 1

Where to start. Defence got split multiple times with simple ball down the middle, centre halfs didn't decide once between them and neither anticipated. Struggled to win second balls in all areas of the pitch, Need 2 centre mids trying to mop up the mess, Specially when playing hoof ball. He's tried changing systems and I still can't see what Eustace is trying to achieve. It's like basic Non league tactics

59 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Three games ago I was quite comfortable that we wouldn't to down. That doubt dissipated somewhat after Swansea but after Tuesday and today I'm convinced we will be relegated. The first ten minutes aside Plymouth were streets ahead of us and if I was a fan of theirs I would have been disappointed not to win and win by three or four goals. We started well, scored and Sigurdsson misses an easy chance and for some unfathomable reason the game changed. We must have the slowest three centre halves in living memory so to play a high line against a pacy young team was footballing suicide. Time and time again they got in from either a simple ball over the top, down the sides or in behind. So we get through to half time and expect changes particularly when we see Hedges doing a strenuous warm up at half time. But no, our tactically astute manager doesn't see it the same way as us and that we are once again being overrun in midfield. The second half starts in exactly the same vein and lo and behold a ball over the top of our high line catches us out and McFadzean is off. I honestly don't think that anybody with half a brain cell thought at that point we could win. Then a couple of baffling changes which hindered us even more handed a bigger advantage to Plymouth whose changes we really positive. The inevitable happened and once again was a calamity of errors. I really thought Plymouth would go on to win from there and once again bad finishing and luck saved us. Two players worthy of mention were Szmodics and Ayari. The rest were pretty useless but the biggest criticism from me is for Eustace. I know it's only early in his time here but the omens aren't good, in fact they are poor. He doesn't appear to have and tactical nous or has the ability to change anything. His one dimensional approach is alarming and his touchline demeanour doesn't inspire me. Still he might be happy tonight as, according to him today wasn't a must win game. I'm struggling to get angry right now and my acceptance is almost a fait accompli after the last thirteen years. My disgust is for the owners and their munchkins at Ewood. Hopefully something happens on Tuesday in a court on another continent that hastens their departure.

On the bus home me and my granddaughter looked at the likely line up of League One next season and have already planned some trips. 

Very well summed up and such admiration for the travel and time you put into the club despite these turbulent times 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Thats easy to say from the Sigurdsson chance but Plymouth had 2 or 3 big chances themselves in that period. 2 one on ones alone when our CBs had no clue from a long ball. 2 up is blinkered looking at our chances alone. We should have been level in my eyes, as every single stat would validate. 

Plymouth had missed one chance at that point , their number 9 put the one on one wide. 

Shortly after, Siggurdson missed the sitter of all sitters. What would have happened if he hadn't missed that then we'll never know, but they had only had that one chance up until then. 

My thoughts on the game are,

We started the game really well and on the front foot and Szmodics scored a good goal from good play from Ayari, and I thought we would win the game. After Sigurdsson missed that great chance, Plymouth took over the rest of the first half by playing some good passing football and making with real width and playing balls over the top/in between Wharton and McFadzean. We played far too high and allow Hardie to simply run in behind time after time. Plymouth missed a number of great chances and I was relieved to get to half time with us winning. I expect changes to the team cos Wahlstedt looked injured during the first half making a save at the Plymouth player feet. I expect Hedges to come on for McFadzean at half time with us moving to 4-4-2 or stick with 3 at the back with Pickering moving to centre back and Hedges at half time. Plus Michalski coming on for his debut for the Injured Wahlstedt. I was very surprised no changes at half time. 

We started the second half well but then we were too high again and Hardie run in behind and McFadzean fouled him. I don't know how bad it was or whether it was soft but it could have been avoid if if Eustace had sub McFadzean off for Chrisene or Hedges. 

After that it would tough and Plymouth carried on with playing attacking football and making the pitch as big as possible but they couldn't find a goal. Rovers had a couple of half chances but nothing more. When we would the ball back we were too quick to give it back to them. 

Ayari was our best player for me. Szmodics played well. Wahlstedt and Hyam also had decent games. 

Plymouth exploited the wide areas alot and their number 2 Mumba was their best player for me. Also Wharton and McFadzean slowest at turning behind them

So overall, its another point and its 8 points from 8 games since JDT left, and after today's games we are 3 points clear.

Its a big week for Eustace cos he has a full week of training to get his ways and methods he wants and get 3 points at Boro next Saturday we badly need.  I would like us to set either 4-4-1-1 or 3-5-2 next week at Boro. 

P.S. I didn't understand the booing of Ash Phillips or the booing at full time either. 

Also the officials were awful and one of the worst displays I've seen all season. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2

it was very concerning that our back three were holding to high a line and plymouth were simply lobbing it over the top for their front two time and time again,eustace seemingly did`nt notice or could`nt work out what to do which is a damning indicment of him,switch to a back four and sit deeper,even a dodgy ex park player like me could see it,a highly paid coach could`nt though????

how plymouth did`nt come away with a four goal win is divine intervention on our part,we were outplayed,out thought and out fought

• Like 2

It’s happening folks - put your savings on us going down because it’s more or less confirmed for me.

Where are the next points coming from? We’ve well and truely been battered at home to one of the worst teams in the league.

Lack of pace is a massive issue for me and I think one of the key factors to the lack of creativity.

Eustace looks out of his depth which is a shame…He seems like a decent bloke but working with kids and league 1 standard players is only going to end in one result.

We deserve everything we get! FOLD the club.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

The signs were positive for the first 10-15 minutes. They often are. Under JDT and Mowbray we often started home games brightly and with high energy. Many away teams will let us do so. But it is what comes after the 15 minute mark that is such a concern and has been for a long time. We run out of ideas and energy and have little or nothing in reserve to change it.

There's not really any more to be said beyond @arbitros excellent analysis.

The result alone would have been disappointing and damaging enough, but the performance was in my book deeply alarming considering we were at home in a 'must win' game against Plymouth. We were lucky to get anything out of the game. 

My frustrations building again as I am trudging away from my seat, a feeling of disappointment and despair, yet am surrounded by rounds of applause presumably for 'digging in' and holding on to a point. I wonder when the inevitable relegation comes will these people perhaps look on this week with regret or just a shoulder shrug?

For me the Millwall game was dismal, but today was even worse. At least with Millwall we were value for a point and they never looked likely to beat us. Today we were fortunate and on another day would have been comfortably beaten.

• Like 5

Thankfully we didn't lose.

Now it is worry about Huddersfield v West Brom and Brum v Boro and hoping we are still 3 points above the drop when we go to Boro.

Let's see what Eustace manages with a week with the players.

38 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s happening folks - put your savings on us going down because it’s more or less confirmed for me.

Where are the next points coming from. We have well and truely been battered at home to one of the worst teams in the league.

Lack of pace is a massive issue for me and I think one of the key factors to the lack of creativity.

Eustace looks out of his depth which is a shame…He seems like a decent bloke but working with kids and league 1 standard players is only going to end in one result.

League 1 here we come.

I agree with everything you say, although we should have been 2 up and cruising  before Plymouth got on top. 

Been flicking through the match day thread since I got back, and it would appear that if Eustace does actually keep us up after the bollocks he inherited, he will probably deserve a knighthood. 

Edited by M_B
  • Downvote 1

These two home games were billed as season defining games before they took place. And they will prove to be season defining. To very little surprise, we didn't win either of them and played poorly in both. 

We're the only team down there that cannot seem to win a game, aside from Rotherham who incidentally we couldn't beat this season; we've won twice in 19 games; we've had absolutely no new manager bounce; injuries to key players; and the toughest run of fixtures out of anyone down there.

I genuinely don't see anyway out of this predicament. We're relying on other teams being worse than us which won't work as we're the second worse team in the league. My only hope is that the championship is a bonkers league and can throw up some crazy results.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

Thankfully we didn't lose.

Now it is worry about Huddersfield v West Brom and Brum v Boro and hoping we are still 3 points above the drop when we go to Boro.

Let's see what Eustace manages with a week with the players.

Hudds will beat West Browm and Brum will beat Boro. We can't blame anyone but ourselves though. Two wins in 19 deserves relegation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So overall, its another point and its 8 points from 8 games since JDT left, and after today's games we are 3 points clear.

No, no, no.

The record of Eusless is 7 very, very winnable games, NO WINS and a measly 5 points.

Think he's a man out of his depth.  Speaks in cliches allied to copious amounts of bullsh1t.

Today showed, IMO, he's tactically useless.

Carry on like this and we'll think Coyle was Pep.

We are in the deepest shyte possible.

Bold action needed - sack him and let Johnson continue with the work he started against Stoke!!!

Harris has 3 wins and 1 draw in 4 matches since returning to Millwall.  That's a new manager bounce - a guy who can motivate and organise his players.  Eusless is too pally, pally - you can see this in interviews the way he refers to players.  I bet the players love him!!!  Like a feckin holiday camp IMO.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

.How can we possibly play so well against Newcastle and turn in that performance today??

Super Sammy Szmodics & Ayari aside, I thought Leo was the only other Rovers player to emerge with any credit  making a few very good saves. It was his best performance in a Rovers shirt to date(Harrogate 0-8 away excepting).

We were so,so lucky not to lose 1-4 agree with  Simon........

But...what on earth is JE talking about? The post match interview was total delusion.

As Merc says, he probably doesnt want to upset the dressing-room.

Guess he also doesnt want to admit he got the tactics all wrong and that performance is on him fair and square for NO half-time changes......

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My thoughts on the game are,

We started the game really well and on the front foot and Szmodics scored a good goal from good play from Ayari, and I thought we would win the game. After Sigurdsson missed that great chance, Plymouth took over the rest of the first half by playing some good passing football and making with real width and playing balls over the top/in between Wharton and McFadzean. We played far too high and allow Hardie to simply run in behind time after time. Plymouth missed a number of great chances and I was relieved to get to half time with us winning. I expect changes to the team cos Wahlstedt looked injured during the first half making a save at the Plymouth player feet. I expect Hedges to come on for McFadzean at half time with us moving to 4-4-2 or stick with 3 at the back with Pickering moving to centre back and Hedges at half time. Plus Michalski coming on for his debut for the Injured Wahlstedt. I was very surprised no changes at half time. 

We started the second half well but then we were too high again and Hardie run in behind and McFadzean fouled him. I don't know how bad it was or whether it was soft but it could have been avoid if if Eustace had sub McFadzean off for Chrisene or Hedges. 

After that it would tough and Plymouth carried on with playing attacking football and making the pitch as big as possible but they couldn't find a goal. Rovers had a couple of half chances but nothing more. When we would the ball back we were too quick to give it back to them. 

Ayari was our best player for me. Szmodics played well. Wahlstedt and Hyam also had decent games. 

Plymouth exploited the wide areas alot and their number 2 Mumba was their best player for me. Also Wharton and McFadzean slowest at turning behind them

Its a big week for Eustace cos he has a full week of training to get his ways and methods he wants and get 3 points at Boro next Saturday we badly need.  I would like us to set either 4-4-1-1 or 3-5-2 next week at Boro. 

P.S. I didn't understand the booing of Ash Phillips or the booing at full time either. 

Also the officials were awful and one of the worst displays I've seen all season. 

I do always admire your positivity but it's very hard to put a positive spin on the situation.

I don't blame Eustace at all, I think he's a good manager but there's no doubt he's had very little impact on results so far. The squad of players he has to work with though is awful so I don't blame him. He's also not had a full week on the training ground yet so it's not his fault. JDT is a very good coach and he couldn't get anything out of this squad either once the games came thick and fast. I completely blame the owners for all of this. 

• Like 1

No issue with booing at full time. Another poor performance and 2 wins in 18 or 19 games, people are pissed off and understandably so.

Booing Phillips, maybe a bit petty. He moved to a big club, he wasnt playing here and he is now playing regularly out on loan on a considerably bigger salary.

The reaction that was difficult to comprehend was the applause to McFadzean after he just cost us so badly. 

• Like 2