BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham v Rovers 14th March 2017

27 minutes ago, m1st said:

I take your point, TBTF; all I was trying to do was bring a bit of realism to some of the comments.

Forest & Bristol City are both 6-pointers, imo.  As I have a friend who's a fanatical Forest fan, I'd particularly love it if we beat them.

No I agree- earlier in this thread I was the voice of caution. Much work still to be done but it makes life a little easier if we aren't 4 points from safety at the end of this 5 game horror run.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Athlete said:

That unfortunately is where our problems lie.. Costs.. 

But to be fair to TM he's got them all giving an extra 10/20% 

Yep not his fault but Spurr can't make the Preston 11 and Olsson the Derby bench and Williams ain't anywhere near those two.

He's got to learn to get tighter to his man, stop getting the ball played behind him which is where the crosses then come in from. He drifts far to much inside and the the wrong times which makes me think he's more of a CB than LB whilst attacking and crossing wise seems unnatural to him.

Like I said he's a trier and we certainly need that until the end of the year but i'd like to see him do allot of the above. It's up to him now.

I think Williams is doing OK. Of course I only watch him at Ewood.

Tonight he crossed for Joao to equalise, don't forget.

Real squeaky bum time after our first equaliser; then doom and gloom accepting the inevitable. The southern Fulham commentator assisting the Radio Lancs man kept saying there's still time for Rovers to score all the way through added time and he was proved right at 90+4.  Whoopeee!!

Listening to radio 5 the guys thought rovers had a equaliser in them,oh so different from coil was here.We have picked up 2 draws from difficult places in the space of 4 days.Win on sat and things will be looking rosy.

Then we have the international break which will give TM a chance to see the players on the trianing ground work on tactics etc.I am impressed by Mogga

A most enjoyable game of football.

I have rarely seen Rovers players give so much commitment. They never gave up.  Our fans were phenomenal and deserve the praise for their commitment and incredible noise tonight.

Great ground (one of my all time favourites) and fans who discuss football rather than wind up away fans. FFC is a decent club.

Joao and Mahoney literally frightened Fulham.  What impressive impact substitutions.

In brief a most enjoyable evening. I wa stood next to Graham Jones MP and had drinks after with him and relatives of Jack Straw. Graham was engrossed - a top Rovers fan.

I was at the game and to be honest it was a frustrating game. First half we had occasions and Fulham dominated the game but we just panicked and cleared it to the middle of no where most of the time. I mean we were inviting Fulham on for a goal. Second half it was pretty much the same when Graham went off my Fulham mate stated "I didn't even know Graham was on the field!" which summed up his performance. He just did a lot of running with 1) not being fed the ball 2) not putting pressure on defenders. Joao I never thought I would say this was absolutely fantastic, he actually look hungry to make a point and put pressure. He ran at every defender and threw his weight to get the ball and make things happen. First occasion then Conway got the ball, ran into the box and got tackled at first thought I screamed a penalty, looking back at it I feel like Conway just went for a dive after a little shoulder to shoulder. Penalty was well deserved though and what a final goal. I will say that I think Conway is just such a pain to watch. He does a lot of running but he scares the hell out of me when he has the ball as I feel he just runs in one direction or panics and has no idea what to do with the ball. Mahoney was once again good, and my days he needs to start. Conway needs to benched for me, and I would actually start with Feeney (Never thought i would say that either!), and Mahoney. Joao is pushing for a start as well in my books. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Interesting thought this one Rev.

I'm wondering if Mahoney is being used perfectly at the moment, he certainly seemed happier in his recent interview, he's coming on with 45-30 mins left with time to really change the game rather than a late throw of the dice.

Same with Joao - perhaps he is best suited to a super sub role.

I'd be glad to see both start but can accept why if they don't.

The turnaround has been superb, if we had found a way to beat Cardiff last week it would have been the perfect - win home games, draw away games scenario from Tony's time in charge.

If we get through to this international break undefeated its more than any of us could have hoped for, let's go one better and end the run of 7 games in 3 weeks or so on a win! 

It's a fair point you make. However on balance, you're surely better off having your best and/or in form players on from the start and not have to bring them on for half an hour or less when you're chasing the game.

Until you try it you'll never know I suppose.l

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's a fair point you make. However on balance, you're surely better off having your best and/or in form players on from the start and not have to bring them on for half an hour or less when you're chasing the game.

Until you try it you'll never know I suppose.l

Agreed, the best performers should be on the pitch and I believe Mahoney and Joao have earned it.

On Williams, perhaps he should be used as a cba option next season, with Mulgrew at lb? Or see if Doyle can make the step up in pre-season.

Jim's jottings from Craven Cottage

Pluses:

1. Entertaining game on balmy spring evening, particularly the second half, the team worked very hard and we deserved the draw at least.  Mowbray has got the team playing for him and the big celebrations at the end said everything about the players' desire to succeed. If we carry on playing with the same spirit we'll stay up.

2. The Rovers fans were fantastic - well done to everyone. Fulham's one of the best grounds to visit in the country, and the atmosphere at our end made it even better.

3. Mowbray's substitutions made a huge difference. Fulham could not cope with Jaio (sp?) and Mahoney. Perhaps they've earned a starting place but as "impact" subs they were tremendous.

4. The 2 centre backs, Conway, Lowe, Emnes and Steele all had good games. Steele pulled off a superb block after Williams left his backpass short. Nyambe got better as the game went on.

5. The beef salt bagel outside the ground before kick off was delicious.

Minuses:

1. Williams is possibly the worst left back I've seen in a Rovers shirt.  He lacks pace, has no positional sense, and doesn't even get a decent tackle in. Fulham ripped us apart down our left flank in the first half (their No 7 is an excellent player) - they'd clearly identified him as a weakness in the team.

2. Graham looks a busted flush .  He doesn't work hard, doesn't look particularly interested and doesn't add anything to the team. Rovers looked a different side when he went off. He's only 31 so he's not that over the hill, but he looks like he's finished as a player. Is he carrying an injury?

3. We continue to concede relatively "soft" goals. Our defence is young overall and still learning the game but we're going to get tonked one day. Fulham might have scored 2 or 3 before half time.

4. Some fans were to be heard booing Lowe, which is pathetic considering that apart from a few stray passes he barely put a foot wrong.

5. Wolves winning took the gloss off an enjoyable night by the Thames. Football's a great game when a draw can sometimes feel like a win.

• Mike E unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Mercerman said:

A side bound for relegation doesn't turn in six unbeaten performances, playing some decent stuff along the way, on the bounce against some good Championship teams.

If we were performing like Wigan, I would be worried, extremely worried.

We were in 'a precarious state' but all the evidence is that the patient is now off life support and recovering well.

Too late for a bottle of red but a nice cognac will do !

Not to detract from a very welcome and unexpected point. 

We are on life support until mathematically safe.

2 clubs look doomed but the third? 

Huge shout out to our fans- a shame all 9 games left are not away from home. 

7 hours ago, Mercerman said:

You really are unbelievable.

Six games unbeaten under a new manager, confidence flowing and momentum for all to see.

Just why shouldn't the supporters now feel confident and optimistic ?

Saying there is not a snowball's chance in hell of us going down is just dumb, and tempting fate. Let's take one game at a time and worry about that.

The league table gives us a stark reminder not to be over-confident when what we have is a reason to hope. That last kick goal was the difference between it being in our hands and needing favours. That will flip-flop again and again during these last games.

Mowbray is performing miracles and might just keep us up but undoing all that Coyle did will take longer.

The sad thing is that had Mowbray  come in instead of Coil the squad could have been challenging in the top half.

Cheston or whoever appointed Coil needs to answer why that happened when it was obvious to everyone that he was useless.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Its worth saying I thought off the ball Lowe was great last night. He produced tackle after tackle and made many crucial blocks. On the ball his passing was poor, but overall had a decent game.

Exactly as I saw it Joey.

8 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Indeed. A few comments like these warm the cockles:

Gutted is the right word.
We were terrible , outplayed all through the second half, no particular player to blame, lowly Blackburn looked by far the better team.

Thought we were second best after half time & Blackburn would have been unfortunate to lose. I wish they had though

Cairney more than anyone went to pieces. I don't care how talented he is, he is not a captain.

To be fair to Mowbray he got Blackburn playing well but they'll go away wondering how the hell we've got all this praise for playing good football.

On 12/03/2017 at 4:37 PM, Tom said:

Good luck to those going, 3 beers cost me £16 in London on Wednesday!

Denied. You can't pay £5.33* recurring for a beer. 

Fantastic, resolute performance by the whole team.  Joao was an absolute revelation.  Fulham couldn't deal with his direct running and skill on the ball.  He looked a real handful and formed a very dangerous partnership with Emnes.  This was a real team effort with everyone putting in a shift for the cause.  I thought Lowe had a great game in midfield defensively and seemed to cover every blade of grass as did Guthrie.  The difference that Mowbray has made to this team is unbelievable.  We look so organised when we don't have the ball and deny space to the opposition whereas we looked so open under Coyle.  Not out of the woods yet but Mowbray has brought a new sense of optimism to the club.  The support was brilliant - everyone behind the players on the pitch and no negativity coming from anyone.  There is a feel good factor about the place that hasn't been there for years and the atmosphere at games must help the players.  Even if the worst was to happen I believe that Mowbray is the type guy who could finally turn things around.  Well done Senior for bringing Mowbray and Joao to the club - two of the better signings we have made in recent years!

7 hours ago, preston blue said:

A most enjoyable game of football.

I have rarely seen Rovers players give so much commitment. They never gave up.  Our fans were phenomenal and deserve the praise for their commitment and incredible noise tonight.

Great ground (one of my all time favourites) and fans who discuss football rather than wind up away fans. FFC is a decent club.

Joao and Mahoney literally frightened Fulham.  What impressive impact substitutions.

In brief a most enjoyable evening. I wa stood next to Graham Jones MP and had drinks after with him and relatives of Jack Straw. Graham was engrossed - a top Rovers fan.

You drop more names than Steele drops crosses.:)

It must have made it quite a night when Joao knocked in the equalizer:rover:

Went to the cinema last night to watch Logan, so missed all the drama. Which probably helped as I would have gone crazy in those last 10 minutes.

A great result against high flying Fulham. Really expected us to come unstuck here but the work that Mowbray has done in just 6 games is superb.

It goes without saying, we would be well and truly buried by now if Coyle was still in charge.

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You drop more names than Steele drops crosses.:)

It must have made it quite a night when Joao knocked in the equalizer:rover:

Yes, sorry :o

The Rovers fans celebrated like mad. It was a pleasure being there seeing the players and fans giving 100%.

Well done to all.

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Coming back twice away from home against a good Fulham side takes Tim Flowers level of bottle.

Joao-Way the lads!

Don't get too attached to him. He's not staying. Can't wait to get back to Sheffield Wednesday reading the interview he gave after scoring 2 for us.

This is the danger of relying too heavily on loans.

Archived