BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He's a young lad. It's like relying on Wharton as your first choice Centre-half. Not wise.

We need another keeper in. 500k was the figure bandied about for Steele of course undisclosed so never really know. I'm sure TM will have something up his sleeve in case raya get injured & the young lad doesn't get thrown in. 

9 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Has Westwood played much recently? I know I may be a bit behind the times and he may have gone to crap Richard wright style, but he was once a half decent keeper. Last I heard he went to that grave yard of Sunderland after Coventry, then maybe Sheffield Wednesday.

First choice there. 

Why not go for Ross Turnbull or Jon McLaughain(former Burton keeper)?

• Backroom

Think it's harsh on Raya to dismiss him for being 6 ft tall, when he has great reflexes and has a surprising reach when leaping across the goal.

He also comes for crosses (not sure where Spark got that from) and is a very vocal keeper, which is what we need.

It's his shirt to lose and I don't think he will. BUT I'd still like a more experienced backup keeper to allow Fisher out on loan.

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Think it's harsh on Raya to dismiss him for being 6 ft tall, when he has great reflexes and has a surprising reach when leaping across the goal.

He also comes for crosses (not sure where Spark got that from) and is a very vocal keeper, which is what we need.

It's his shirt to lose and I don't think he will. BUT I'd still like a more experienced backup keeper to allow Fisher out on loan.

His kicking is also 10x better than Steele.

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Imagine it does. This section of the thread should be archived just in case 

What happens next will be interesting. Should we use this 500k for other signings, ill be very surprised. If not, it will have been to recoup some of what we spent and could signal that another outgoing will be needed for the rest.

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

His kicking is also 10x better than Steele.

His kicking was pinpoint, wasn't it? Folk on here were salivating about his 'assist' for Emnes' goal last season. It was impossible to tell them that it was just a fluke.

Amazing how history gets re-written as soon as a player leaves.

1 minute ago, MGPensioner said:

No offence BB but that is rubbish.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Imagine Everton saying oh we can't rely on Rooney coz he's only 17

What is the point of having a CAT 1 Academy if the whole point isn't to bring young players through who ARE good enough to play in our first team for 2 years (then sell them).

None taken:)

Comparing a 17 year old like Rooney, 12 months shy of his first England cap, to Wharton and Fisher is even rubbish-er!

8 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

We've got cash and will have lightened the wage bill for our reserve keeper.

Raya and Fisher are fine, if it doesn't work out loan keepers are always available.

Good bit of business indeed.

That is not as easy as it sounds , IF a club is willing to let a keeper go out on loan once the season has started chances are he would only be their 3rd choice keeper or another young kid , why would you want some bodies 3rd choice as our first choice ??

We all saw Raya last season towards the end and we all saw Steele during the course of the season. We all know who looked the better keeper, we all know who gave the defence confidence and who didn't.

Raya is good enough to be our number one this season in a season we should be aiming to win the league. Until he does something to show he isn't that's fine with me.

We need another striker, we need some pace, we need a left back and we might need a centre half. Can take or leave a back up keeper personally, we've already got one.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15436206._A_dream_come_true_to_sign_for_such_a_massive_club____Jason_Steele_delighted_with_Sunderland_switch/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

"Raya has started just 15 Championship games for Rovers, and the club will now look to source a replacement for Steele as back-up to the 21-year-old"

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Way out there, but how about Victor Valdes?

Should be looking at keepers like Ross Turnbull, Given, Nicky Weaver, Caballero, Myhill. Experienced, good, but potentially 'gettable' keepers.

Nicky Weaver still plays? Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mowbray from Tuesday night “If anyone leaves it will be my decision and done because the money and salary will be used to strengthen other parts of the team.”

He seems to say the right things time and time again, I just hope he isn't made to eat his words by the owners when they get out of the wrong side of the bed one day.

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

What happens next will be interesting. Should we use this 500k for other signings, ill be very surprised. If not, it will have been to recoup some of what we spent and could signal that another outgoing will be needed for the rest.

Mowbrays quotes so far are actually the complete opposite of this 

Just now, Mike E said:

Even more shocking, he's only 38 while Given is 41!

Hahahahahaha give over. I just remember Weaver's flopping hair bouncing all over the place in horrible 90s/2000s goalkeeping kits. I know he had a resurgence at Wednesday a few years back but I thought that was his final bow. 

Bring Nicky here! The hero of Manchester's year 1999. Both clubs had unbelievable seasons that year and this man smashed a penalty in if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/on-this-day-in-1992-alan-shearer-joins-blackburn-rovers

It was 25 years ago today, Big Al taught the world to play...

How times have changed.

Shearer was signed on an initial contract with wages of £10k / week - I remember the shock at the time of many supporters about the size of his wages.  To think how many rubbing rags we've had / still have over the last 12 months being paid significantly in excess of that!!!  The football world has gone mad.

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

How times have changed.

Shearer was signed on an initial contract with wages of £10k / week - I remember the shock at the time of many supporters about the size of his wages.  To think how many rubbing rags we've had / still have over the last 12 months being paid significantly in excess of that!!!  The football world has gone mad.

We sold Le Saux for 5 million. He would be worth 50 million now 

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We sold Le Saux for 5 million. He would be worth 50 million now 

By the same token we bought him for £700,000 (not that many years previously, and from the same club we sold him back to)

3 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

No offence BB but that is rubbish.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Imagine Everton saying oh we can't rely on Rooney coz he's only 17

What is the point of having a CAT 1 Academy if the whole point isn't to bring young players through who ARE good enough to play in our first team for 2 years (then sell them).

I can't remember how old Phil Jones was now, when he came into the first team picture in the premier league. It was obvious from the start, he was good enough, despite his tender years, so fully agreed.

5 minutes ago, lraC said:

I can't remember how old Phil Jones was now, when he came into the first team picture in the premier league. It was obvious from the start, he was good enough, despite his tender years, so fully agreed.

He marked Drogba out of the game. I knew then he was something special. Should have stayed with us for another year. It's a shame what injuries have done to him.

Archived