BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

100%.

Mowbray seems down to earth, honest, dedicated, in it for the right reasons and someone you can trust to do what is right for the club.

Of course as a Rovers fan I want us too do well, but I want us to do well even more so for Mowbray, if anyone deserves to get their managerial career back on track it's this guy. He's been a breath of fresh air since he walked through the door. Imagine if we'd have kept hold of Kean in our first season after relegation and got promoted back too the prem, it would have felt really weird and for me would have subdued the celebration of promotion. I'm praying this season is a success for us and for Mowbray because he really does deserve it along with us fans who really deserve something too cheer about too. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We know Mowbray has bid for a CB and has said he wants another striker, who will most likely come on loan. So those are two positions he thinks we aren't properly covered in.

Agreed. Based on last season we have zero strength in depth at the back. Defensive signings don't necessarily foreshadow departures.

9 hours ago, briansol said:

Not sure what you are discussing. Mowbray is looking for at least one or two strikers, and given the bid of Bostwick also a defender. Elliott Ward should be last choice in my opionon and we should strive to get another to complement Lenihan and Mulgrew. Should be a proper centre back that can deal with the physical side of league one, rather than a utility man.  Mulgrew can fill in at left back if we need cover in addition to young Doyle.

This is what I've been trying to get across to BDS. To no avail it seems. We should be able to bring in both a defender and a striker suitable for this level.

10 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

I know. Why don't we just TM do the job the way HE sees it, and stop clogging the transfers thread with my cock is bigger than your cock airtheft?

I don't care what you fexperts think, it is just hot air and it gets in the way of interesting stuff.

I'd say the transfer thread is a reasonable thread to discuss which players we believe we should aim to transfer.

• Backroom

Sunderland fans, Steele will be a good buy at £500k! He's a great backup keeper as he makes the first team keeper feel better about their own abilities. As long as he never gets on the pitch, it's a bargain!

I don't quite get the Steele bashing personally. I don't think he's as bad as a few think. Many of our best goalkeepers had the luxury of a stable organised team in front of them, he's never had that really.

Im more than happy to see Raya given a long term chance like, but I hope he's treat better by our fans if we have the same lack of consistency, or if he makes the expected mistakes of a young keeper.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I don't quite get the Steele bashing personally. I don't think he's as bad as a few think. Many of our best goalkeepers had the luxury of a stable organised team in front of them, he's never had that really.

Im more than happy to see Raya given a long term chance like, but I hope he's treat better by our fans if we have the same lack of consistency, or if he makes the expected mistakes of a young keeper.

I do.  He is a shocking keeper.  A good keeper will save you points during the season.  This lad cost us a lot.  He seems a nice lad but just not good enough.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This is what I've been trying to get across to BDS. To no avail it seems. We should be able to bring in both a defender and a striker suitable for this level.

I'd say the transfer thread is a reasonable thread to discuss which players we believe we should aim to transfer.

I think we just disagreed on where the priority is. I wouldn't say no to another centre half and I am sure you wouldn't say no to a new striker. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Having an unstable defence in front of you is no excuse to consistently let shots that you should save in, to have no command of your area, or to not be able to kick the ball even in the general direction you want it to go. A real bad'un, glad we're getting rid.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Take away his many clangers and we're still in the Championship.

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mulgrew captain with Lenihan vice-captain anyone? 

I think Mulgrew is definitely a leader, but I'd like to see more of an ever-present in the side captain it. So probably Bennett for me, with Lenihan as vice-captain If we could get 35-46 games out of Mulgrew then I would probably favour him - though in all honesty I believe the group as a whole and the individuals in it is far more important than who actually wears the armband.

15 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Having an unstable defence in front of you is no excuse to consistently let shots that you should save in, to have no command of your area, or to not be able to kick the ball even in the general direction you want it to go. A real bad'un, glad we're getting rid.

He has made some cracking saves at times also and my favourite goal by emnes last season was his assist, yet a few had the temerity to suggest it was a slice!

If he played in a team that didn't leak so many chances under a handful of different managers, behind constantly changing defenders, people's perception of him would've been different imo. I admit he lacks consistency in some ways but that's exactly what makes players second or third tier as opposed to top tier I.e. Friedel (who is everyone's recent yardstick at Ewood, and also was world class around 2002/3/4)

People talk about him being worst keeper for rovers, but that's just the typical human nature to make things "the best" or "the worst"... I personally would put Steele light years ahead of "Shakey" Jakey Kean, and he ended up getting a big pay off out of the club also!

I thinks it's important to have a decent back up keeper even at this level as mentioned if Raya takes a knock or makes a cock up and his confidence is dented straight away then we are on the back foot again maybe throwing in a rookie and hoping for the best. Not the way to go about it if promotion is the aim, better safe than sorry.

Archived