BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Loved Fred, but he wasn't as good as Flowers or Jones.

Worst I have seen are Barton and Fettis. Steele deserves a dishonourable mention though

Elvy wasn't that good imo ,just around for a long time.

35 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Very worrying. Lets hope it's not the same knee injury that Hanley had last yr. 

Or the same "back strain" that Samba had before his departure or the "tight groin " just before Marshall departed or the "my head's not right" just before Duffy left or the "hamstring strain" suffered by Hoilett as he ran down his contract. Still it might be nothing....

2 minutes ago, alcd said:

Or the same "back strain" that Samba had before his departure or the "tight groin " just before Marshall departed or the "my head's not right" just before Duffy left or the "hamstring strain" suffered by Hoilett as he ran down his contract. Still it might be nothing....

Nothing beats the classic when poor Ryan Nelsen was close to death. It sets the (never to be surpassed) bench-mark for these;

“He's in a bad way. I've just been to see him. He's in traction. We need experienced players in the team and I can't wait to get him back, but I doubt he'll be let out before the end of the season."

4 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Nothing beats the classic when poor Ryan Nelsen was close to death. It sets the (never to be surpassed) bench-mark for these;

“He's in a bad way. I've just been to see him. He's in traction. We need experienced players in the team and I can't wait to get him back, but I doubt he'll be let out before the end of the season."

Quote from a snake! 

55 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are having a go at me for assuming Nuttall is a guaranteed thing but doing the same with Wharton yourself. Take it easy. Gladwin can play up front.

You really are quite pretentious for someone that is so terribly wrong. TM isn't wrong in saying there's room for another striker, there is, but I highly doubt he looks at our defensive side and thinks it's job done. I would put my house on it moves are being made for a centre half and/or a left back.

The "may get injured theory", as you so eloquently put it, isn't a 'theory'. It's truth. We have 6 centre halves (incl. Williams and Nyambe) - for the final time this number includes a player with 2 senior apps for us, a player with 13 apps in 2 years and a 31 year old with injury problems. That leaves us with 3 - two of which aren't natural centre halves and one of them unnatural centre halves has played less than 30 senior apps.............at right back.

I don't know whether it's more pride than sheer ignorance with you that you are still denying we need a centre back. It won't take anything away from you if you just admit you are wrong - we've all been there. Last season I praised some of Coyle's recruitment: I was wrong. We aren't experts and can't always be right, if at all but likewise you can't possibly deny the facts put in front of you.

I don't think we need a centre half with the options we have already. I would prioritise the budget on  a striker, new keeper and possibly a pacey winger. 

3 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

I know. Why don't we just TM do the job the way HE sees it, and stop clogging the transfers thread with my cock is bigger than your cock airtheft?

I don't care what you fexperts think, it is just hot air and it gets in the way of interesting stuff.

That would be the favourite after all that's what he gets paid to do.

36 minutes ago, 47er said:

Elvy wasn't that good imo ,just around for a long time.

Before we got Elvy from Bolton reserves (because of England goalkeeper, Eddie Hopkinson keeping him out) we had Jack Patterson who was reasonable to say the least. Patterson's deputy was Bob Jones who, in my opinion, could be classed with Fettis, Barton and others of the same ilk.

In the 1950s Elvy was a terrific second division goalkeeper. Sometimes he wore a cap and sometimes not. I think he actually wore glasses because of his poor eyesight.  One of the best keepers we've ever had. Came into the Rovers side along with Eddie Quigley, Willie Kelly, Tommy Briggs, and Bobby Langton when we were on our knees at the bottom of the league. We went on to be a top six division 2 side vying for promotion along with Liverpool, Leeds, Leicester and Luton (those ruddy Ls! )

He was succeeded by Harry Leyland from Everton reserves. Harry was OK. At times he was quite ordinary and sometimes messed up.  Next a shot was screaming into the top corner and there was Harry in his green jersey streaking horizontal to make the save of the season.

Two great goalkeepers of the 1950s.  

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Isn't he a bit old now?

Connor Ripley is actually the son of Stuart Ripley. Highly rated goalkeeper with most clean sheets in League One for Oldham.  Although in the last year of contract I doubt we will go for him unless we want to pay at least what we are getting for Steele and make him first choice.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are having a go at me for assuming Nuttall is a guaranteed thing but doing the same with Wharton yourself. Take it easy. Gladwin can play up front.

You really are quite pretentious for someone that is so terribly wrong. TM isn't wrong in saying there's room for another striker, there is, but I highly doubt he looks at our defensive side and thinks it's job done. I would put my house on it moves are being made for a centre half and/or a left back.

The "may get injured theory", as you so eloquently put it, isn't a 'theory'. It's truth. We have 6 centre halves (incl. Williams and Nyambe) - for the final time this number includes a player with 2 senior apps for us, a player with 13 apps in 2 years and a 31 year old with injury problems. That leaves us with 3 - two of which aren't natural centre halves and one of them unnatural centre halves has played less than 30 senior apps.............at right back.

I don't know whether it's more pride than sheer ignorance with you that you are still denying we need a centre back. It won't take anything away from you if you just admit you are wrong - we've all been there. Last season I praised some of Coyle's recruitment: I was wrong. We aren't experts and can't always be right, if at all but likewise you can't possibly deny the facts put in front of you.

Not sure what you are discussing. Mowbray is looking for at least one or two strikers, and given the bid of Bostwick also a defender. Elliott Ward should be last choice in my opionon and we should strive to get another to complement Lenihan and Mulgrew. Should be a proper centre back that can deal with the physical side of league one, rather than a utility man.  Mulgrew can fill in at left back if we need cover in addition to young Doyle.

From Mowbray who spoke to Rich Sharpe after tonight game

TM: "Darragh has a knock on the outside of his knee which is a bit sore. That's not too much of an issue - he has a chance for Friday."

TM: "There's a few people looking at our players & thinking we're vulnerable. My message is loud & clear, we are not vulnerable financially"

Sounds like Mulgrew and Lenihan going nowhere

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

TM: "Darragh has a knock on the outside of his knee which is a bit sore. That's not too much of an issue - he has a chance for Friday."

TM: "There's a few people looking at our players & thinking we're vulnerable. My message is loud & clear, we are not vulnerable financially"

Or 'show us the money'  --  Right way to go about it though.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hope you're right.

It's just amusing that having predicted innocuous 'knocks' prior to sale we are now seeing exactly that. It's not like Venky's Rovers haven't done it many many times before.

19 minutes ago, briansol said:

Connor Ripley is actually the son of Stuart Ripley. Highly rated goalkeeper with most clean sheets in League One for Oldham.  Although in the last year of contract I doubt we will go for him unless we want to pay at least what we are getting for Steele and make him first choice.

Stuart lives at Brockhall doesn't he?

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

To be the honest it must be driving the bloke bonkers repeating the same very thing. Most people absorb information at the very first instance. Apart from going to a tattoo shop & getting it tattooed on his forehead I really don't know what else he can do.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like the cut of his jib.

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I like the cut of his jib.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it makes such a big difference when you actually like the guy that's in charge!

Obviously counts for nothing if we don't show it on the pitch, but having Mowbray in charge is definitely making it easier to like the club at the moment.

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Still amazes me that Venky's somehow managed to hire this man. 

3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

As ridiculous as this sounds, it makes such a big difference when you actually like the guy that's in charge!

Obviously counts for nothing if we don't show it on the pitch, but having Mowbray in charge is definitely making it easier to like the club at the moment.

100%.

Mowbray seems down to earth, honest, dedicated, in it for the right reasons and someone you can trust to do what is right for the club.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope they both stay as they are both critical to us. I'd imagine Tm has asked Mulgrew to captain the team whether he wants it or not is up to him. 

Archived