BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Watching Bennett from behind the dugout at York last week. When the players were walking off at half time and the others were getting ready to warm up he was going to every player, shaking hands with them, putting his arm around them, talking to them. Struck me then that he seems to be extremely professional and always ready to support/help his team-mates. Important.

He should be captain for me

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, J*B said:

Theres 3 players I would be actively trying to sell:

1) Steele - if he's out of contract next year and someone is offering 500k we should bite their hands off. At this level we can get competition for Raya on either a free or a loan.

2) Mulgrew - obviously wants out, a great player at Championship level but very injury prone, on a big wage and getting on. Anything near 1.5m and he would be off.

3) Evans - probably on paper our best central midfielder but was missing in action most of last season when we really needed him, yet was fit enough to play for his country. Take the money and run. 

I'd look to replace them with Christian Burgess (Pompy), Gadzhev (free agent, former Coventry) and any goalkeeper.

Why sell your 2 best players....arguably.? Yeah, get rid of wally steele  but the other 2?  I bet Tony doesn't agree with you.

Two simple facts - every player has a price and every player will have his 'head turned' at some point.

If any player is not committed to Rovers then get shut.

Rovers themselves have their part to play.  They simply have to get better at looking after their more valuable assets.  The treatment of Mahoney is a case in point and there were many others before him.

TM can't kick these issues into the long grass.  It is no good waiting until the final days of August.  Be proactive and sort them now, one way or the other.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I hope we keep on rejecting them. I like Bennett, I think he will be incredibly useful this season.

I suspect Mowbray will keep Bennett as he will be a key player this season

58 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Given would be a perfect backup to Raya imo.

agreed

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Theres 3 players I would be actively trying to sell:

1) Steele - if he's out of contract next year and someone is offering 500k we should bite their hands off. At this level we can get competition for Raya on either a free or a loan.

2) Mulgrew - obviously wants out, a great player at Championship level but very injury prone, on a big wage and getting on. Anything near 1.5m and he would be off.

3) Evans - probably on paper our best central midfielder but was missing in action most of last season when we really needed him, yet was fit enough to play for his country. Take the money and run. 

I'd look to replace them with Christian Burgess (Pompy), Gadzhev (free agent, former Coventry) and any goalkeeper.

I agree with getting rid of Steele but I would keep Mulgrew and Evans.

was told yesterday by the same guy where the Given info came from that Mulgrew wants to stay and he reject Leeds in June(I am just passing on the info I was told)

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Two simple facts - every player has a price and every player will have his 'head turned' at some point.

If any player is not committed to Rovers then get shut.

Rovers themselves have their part to play.  They simply have to get better at looking after their more valuable assets.  The treatment of Mahoney is a case in point and there were many others before him.

TM can't kick these issues into the long grass.  It is no good waiting until the final days of August.  Be proactive and sort them now, one way or the other.

So if you walked into the dressing room tomorrow night before the Grimsby game and took it in turns to ask every player in the squad whether they would like a move away if the opportunity arose to go up a league then you would immediately transfer list everyone who did and take steps to get rid of them?

There's a difference between a player actively trying to leave the club and a player who would like to explore a move up a league if the opportunity arose, but would knuckle down and work hard if it didn't materialise. We need to be in the latter category. Without doubt a few would like to look at a move, we have to fight it. Much more chopping and changing to this squad and its goodbye promotion.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I suspect Mowbray will keep Bennett as he will be a key player this season

agreed

I agree with getting rid of Steele but I would keep Mulgrew and Evans.

was told yesterday by the same guy where the Given info came from that Mulgrew wants to stay and he reject Leeds in June(I am just passing on the info I was told)

With all due respect to Ben Benson if your information about Shay Given is correct I would expect/hope that he would essentially become GK coach, stepping in when needed into the 1st team.

Just now, JHRover said:

With all due respect to Ben Benson if your information about Shay Given is correct I would expect/hope that he would essentially become GK coach, stepping in when needed into the 1st team.

Does Given want to be a coach at all? Said on Radio a couple of weeks ago about media work not coaching when asked what he do next if he couldnt find a club. 

Benson should remain 1st team gk coach. Done good work with Raya and Fisher. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Does Given want to be a coach at all? Said on Radio a couple of weeks ago about media work not coaching when asked what he do next if he couldnt find a club. 

Given was temporarily assistant manager to Lambert at Villa a few years ago, which suggests he's either interested in coaching or at least was quite recently. He would be useful to have around the place with his vast experience which we will be lacking in the GK department, especially if Steele departs.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Benson will be 1st team goal keeper coach...he has just signed a new contract and been given a pay rise to warrant his new position

Shay Given was helping out at Macclesfield a couple of weeks ago so it wouldn't be a surprise if he took a coaches role somewhere, I just don't see it being at Rovers

6 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Didn't you here that you aren't allowed to speculate or assume anything on this board!!1 

I wonder if 47er will be on here trying to start an argument with you?

No, seems a very sensible post to me. Assumes nothing about Venkys for a start.

8 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/15430416.Rovers_issue_hands_off_warning_to_QPR_over_their_pursuit_of_Elliott_Bennett/

"Rovers have no intention of selling Bennett, who emerged as a key figure in the second half of last season, and reports suggest that QPR won’t now follow up that interest."

Good do.

Love that! When are we actually going too have something to moan about this summer? Gone far too smooth by our owners standards so far. In Mowbray we trust. :brfc:

Regarding Steele, my understanding was that when we signed him from Boro there was no fee involved, we just agreed to take over his contract terms and conditions I.e. so if he was high wages at Boro, we would have been tied to them. Wouldn't be upset to see him leave.

If so in terms of this thread, then if we sell for £500k then weve made a profit. However, I couldnt care less if we make a profit, because he's not good enough, and secondly it's not like the owners are renowned for putting profit back into the club.

The Bennett reply is a positive step from the club. Hope it's followed through.

Steele was a gamble that didn't really work out that's ghe top and bottom of it. Following on from the remit then they thought they'd get him in relatively cheaply and rebuild his career, put some games and experience into him and hopefully make him worth a few quid.

Quite a few of those paid off money wise but some didn't but to me it was a bit daft trying to fill shoes the size of Robbo's with someone like him but that was what was going on then. Getting book value back into the squad whilst getting rid of others and treading water allowing a team to grow to be sold on as we've seen.

Round two may or may not be underway soon but that's the way it is and hopefully it'll result in promotion at some point.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/15430416.Rovers_issue_hands_off_warning_to_QPR_over_their_pursuit_of_Elliott_Bennett/

"Rovers have no intention of selling Bennett, who emerged as a key figure in the second half of last season, and reports suggest that QPR won’t now follow up that interest."

Good do.

I don't recall a similarly strong rebuttal regarding Lenihan, though I may be mis-speaking. Telling if so. 

If we have aspirations of promotion Bennett simply has to stay. 

Just now, Doaksie said:

I don't recall a similarly strong rebuttal regarding Lenihan, though I may be mis-speaking. Telling if so. 

If we have aspirations of promotion Bennett simply has to stay. 

Think Bennett's abilities and contributions are being vastly overstated on here. Not bothered if he goes or not tbh. For me he's  another who should theoretically be a force at this level but who has been pretty poor during his time here. Even on the odd occasion he scores a worldie he is usually completely anonymous for the rest of the 90 mins and doesnt find the net often enough to be worth gis pace in the side.

Archived