BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Just now, Butty said:

Well I guess he can kick the ball and get his hand to the ball occasionally, what more do they want for 500k? Absolute bargain ;)

Don't forget who manages Sunderland. He has a house in Brockhall Village and his son plays for our youth team.

Bound to read this board or know someone who does.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, renrag said:

The most outstanding of many Roger Jones saves which I remember was in the famous 5-2 Plymouth game. I think it was Paul Marriner who stood there unable to believe what he had seen  

Sir Roger Jones - outstanding keeper.

Vince O'keefe was pretty cr@p, but all is forgiven because he was tremendous in the Full Members Cup run 87.

As for John Butcher, I actually remember him catching a cross at home to Bury last game of the promotion season 79/80, the one after went up at Bury, that tells its own story!

40 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Sir Roger Jones - outstanding keeper.

In my lifetime

1 Brad Friedel

2 Fred Else

3 Roger Jones

4 Reg Elvy

5 Tim Flowers

Different eras and different divisions but that's my verdict.

N.B. I never saw Jim Arnold play that I am aware of. The only game I remember between 1978 and 1986 was Shrewsbury Town away when Brotherston scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory.

If Steele goes we should go for Jamal Blackman on loan from Chelsea, 6'6 tall, 23 years old, wants experience. Was at Wycome on loan last season and did very well. Played against us in the youth PL cup final and was flawless.

• Backroom

They would be daft to send Blackman here to play second fiddle to another young lad and we'd be daft to have Raya's development stunted again.

I don't think that one would work for anyone really 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

They would be daft to send Blackman here to play second fiddle to another young lad and we'd be daft to have Raya's development stunted again.

I don't think that one would work for anyone really 

Agreed. Raya has to be first choice, I reckon he could be a top keeper with a bit of game time. An experienced backup (eg. Given) would be brilliant.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Personally would like to sign a hard nut at cb in the Andy Todd mold. Only because we seem a bit soft at the back.

Very much so. A CB that is not afraid to boot a long haired French World Cup winner up the 'Andy Cole'. The Souness era was full of them, and they complimemted that side's flair to perfection in his promotion season and beyond. We've been lacking this far too long. I saw glimpses of it in Hanley, and I think Lenihan is capable of the same. If he stayed. 

On Alan Fettis, I recall a game against Arsenal around the Christmas period (heavy snow), whereby, after catching an Anelka drive, it appeared to force him backwards and over the line. My abiding memory of him for Rovers. Terrible.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

In my lifetime

1 Brad Friedel

2 Fred Else

3 Roger Jones

4 Reg Elvy

5 Tim Flowers

N.B. I never saw Jim Arnold play that I am aware of. The only game I remember between 1978 and 1986 was Shrewsbury Town away when Brotherston scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory.

Loved Fred, but he wasn't as good as Flowers or Jones.

Worst I have seen are Barton and Fettis. Steele deserves a dishonourable mention though

21 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Very much so. A CB that is not afraid to boot a long haired French World Cup winner up the 'Andy Cole'. The Souness era was full of them, and they complimemted that side's flair to perfection in his promotion season and beyond. We've been lacking this far too long. I saw glimpses of it in Hanley, and I think Lenihan is capable of the same. If he stayed. 

On Alan Fettis, I recall a game against Arsenal around the Christmas period (heavy snow), whereby, after catching an Anelka drive, it appeared to force him backwards and over the line. My abiding memory of him for Rovers. Terrible.

It was actually played on April 13th, 1998, but it was indeed snowing.

2 hours ago, bazza said:

In my lifetime

1 Brad Friedel

2 Fred Else

3 Roger Jones

4 Reg Elvy

5 Tim Flowers

Harry Leyland wasn't a bad keeper.

2 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Harry Leyland wasn't a bad keeper.

Agreed. But not as good as my top 5 plus, I suspect, Jim Arnold. We'll put Harry at No7, hey?  Followed quickly by Terry Gennoe.

24 minutes ago, martonrover said:

It was actually played on April 13th, 1998, but it was indeed snowing.

He only made 11 appearances for Rovers, but obtained 25 caps for Northern Ireland so I was blessed more than most on here. As it transpires there's a video online of him attempting a scorpion kick and scoring while up front for Hull, so not all bad. Anyway, enough Fettis talk. I'll be glad if I no longer have to watch Steele flap his way to relegation. 

2 hours ago, bazza said:

In my lifetime

1 Brad Friedel

2 Fred Else

3 Roger Jones

4 Reg Elvy

5 Tim Flowers

Never saw Else or Elvy but I agree with the order of the other 3 ........

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lol at the first comment

On Greer, yes and he was terrible. 

You are including Nutall like he is a guaranteed thing. I bet you hadn't heard of him til we signed him AFTER he was released by Aberdeen. Gladwin isn't a striker. You're using your "may get injured" theory to say we need to sign a centre half ,when we have 6 players who can play there currently, but then tactically ignore the fact that Graham is as injury prone as anyone.

Luckily Mowbray has come out and said a striker is key and it isn't up to fans to decide who we should sign :) 

You are having a go at me for assuming Nuttall is a guaranteed thing but doing the same with Wharton yourself. Take it easy. Gladwin can play up front.

You really are quite pretentious for someone that is so terribly wrong. TM isn't wrong in saying there's room for another striker, there is, but I highly doubt he looks at our defensive side and thinks it's job done. I would put my house on it moves are being made for a centre half and/or a left back.

The "may get injured theory", as you so eloquently put it, isn't a 'theory'. It's truth. We have 6 centre halves (incl. Williams and Nyambe) - for the final time this number includes a player with 2 senior apps for us, a player with 13 apps in 2 years and a 31 year old with injury problems. That leaves us with 3 - two of which aren't natural centre halves and one of them unnatural centre halves has played less than 30 senior apps.............at right back.

I don't know whether it's more pride than sheer ignorance with you that you are still denying we need a centre back. It won't take anything away from you if you just admit you are wrong - we've all been there. Last season I praised some of Coyle's recruitment: I was wrong. We aren't experts and can't always be right, if at all but likewise you can't possibly deny the facts put in front of you.

Archived