BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Take away his many clangers and we're still in the Championship.

..and people accuse me of straw man! 

We'd still be in the premier league if Indians didn't eat chicken..

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we just disagreed on where the priority is. I wouldn't say no to another centre half and I am sure you wouldn't say no to a new striker. 

Nothing wrong with a difference of opinions. If we all thought exactly the same, imagine how boring this site would be!

18 minutes ago, Biz said:

He has made some cracking saves at times also and my favourite goal by emnes last season was his assist, yet a few had the temerity to suggest it was a slice!

If he played in a team that didn't leak so many chances under a handful of different managers, behind constantly changing defenders, people's perception of him would've been different imo. I admit he lacks consistency in some ways but that's exactly what makes players second or third tier as opposed to top tier I.e. Friedel (who is everyone's recent yardstick at Ewood, and also was world class around 2002/3/4)

People talk about him being worst keeper for rovers, but that's just the typical human nature to make things "the best" or "the worst"... I personally would put Steele light years ahead of "Shakey" Jakey Kean, and he ended up getting a big pay off out of the club also!

That assist was brilliant but one kick is bound to go where you want it to go if you have 1000 kicks in a season.

Pickford had a shakey defence in front of him last season, yet he performed well enough to get a £30m move to Everton! A bad defence shouldn't make you look like a bad keeper.

Agreed with that. 

No one is saying 'oh we conceded x number of goals with him playing so he is a bad keeper'. He's being judged on his own performance. Obviously, it was a tough place to shine as a keeper, but he just makes too many errors. 

He's still very young for a keeper and there is every chance that 500,000 will look like a bargain 5 years from now, but I don't think it will impact us now and if 500,000 for Steele means that we don't have to sell one of our more important players, or, heaven forbid, means that we are able to bring in another player who will go into the first 11, then I'm all for it. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Agreed with that. 

No one is saying 'oh we conceded x number of goals with him playing so he is a bad keeper'. He's being judged on his own performance. Obviously, it was a tough place to shine as a keeper, but he just makes too many errors. 

He's still very young for a keeper and there is every chance that 500,000 will look like a bargain 5 years from now, but I don't think it will impact us now and if 500,000 for Steele means that we don't have to sell one of our more important players, or, heaven forbid, means that we are able to bring in another player who will go into the first 11, then I'm all for it. 

Imagine it does. This section of the thread should be archived just in case 

Let's be honest would Steele be good enough to be no 1 in this league for a side chasing a top two spot going off what we've seen ?

Yes he probably would he's an adequate enough keeper for a water treading championship side i think he proved that here and maybe he'll improve again with age and experience although i don't think he'll ever be top drawer.

Our point is though we have a decent younger keeper who'll probably step in and do equally as well straight away so it's time to go with him and get in some cheap good back up. Steele has gone from championship struggler no 1 to potential league 1 no2 to a rookie and that doesn't happen if your a potential great.

Best of luck to him but it's another large wage gone that can be easily replaced by a cheaper one.

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Imagine it does. This section of the thread should be archived just in case 

Don't fear; on here nobody gets away with anything. Someone will always bring up past comments when the time is right for shaming!

Good riddance to Steele.  IMV, a liability who cost us many points, and therefore our Championship status, with his mistakes.

I think Raya is the real deal.  Enormously impressed by all aspects of his game when he established himself as our number one in the latter part of the season.  He's made enormous strides from earlier first team appearances.  He will only get better and my real fear is how long will we be able to hold on to him.

Fisher needs to be given at least half a game at Carlisle and should be played in the mickey mouse cup competitions coming up.  If he shows he's ready then fine, if not, get him out on loan and sign an experienced number two to Raya.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Neil Warnock has officially put Craig Noone on the transfer list. 12 months left on his Cardiff deal. Can play right or left wing. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 12.58.51.png

Not sure where that information came from but I like the symbols used:

Plays the ball off the ground often (with a sword)

Likes to cross (with a sword)

Likes to dribble (onto a sword)

Likes to play long balls (with a sword)

Gets fouled often (by a sword)

Likes to shoot from distance (throws his sword)

Likes to tackle (with a shield)

30 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not sure where that information came from but I like the symbols used:

Plays the ball off the ground often (with a sword)

Likes to cross (with a sword)

Likes to dribble (onto a sword)

Likes to play long balls (with a sword)

Gets fouled often (by a sword)

Likes to shoot from distance (throws his sword)

Likes to tackle (with a shield)

You'd almost think the ones with imagery of a sword are attacking and the ones with a shield are defending, wouldn't you?

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

Doubt it. The tribunal usually sets a fixed fee

I don't think that is quite right. Add ons for a certain number of game, international appearances and sell on clauses are a common feature. A typical one is from our neighbours, when the lost Danny Ings to Liverpool.

The decision was reached by the Professional Football Compensation Committee (PFCC) on Tuesday at a meeting in Manchester attended by officials from both clubs.

The £1.5m in additional payments will be based on appearances, while the tribunal ruled Burnley will also receive 20 per cent from any future sale of the player.

Just now, J*B said:

You'd almost think the ones with imagery of a sword are attacking and the ones with a shield are defending, wouldn't you?

Not in my head J*B.

I see him swinging a sword in a golf style to make a pass/cross, crouching with his shield in front of him like someone out of 300 to tackle some poor sod and throwing his sword at the keeper in order to clear a path through to goal for a shot.

How did you not get that? :rover:

2 minutes ago, renrag said:

Fair enough. I was thinking more of players coming through academies. Perhaps a settlement along the lines WWWM suggests would be the answer, before relying on a tribunal

Hopefully the clubs can agree a fee. I suspect we will be poles apart though and expect it to be sorted by a tribunal.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

When Josh King left I'm sure I read that we had a 20% sell on and that went to tribunal

That didn't end up going to a tribunal. The clubs did agree on a fee, although it was undisclosed. Hopefully there is a sell on clause though.

• Moderation Lead

He had an unbelievable end to the season, did King. I think he won me quite a few matches on his own in my fantasy league head to head!!

Craig Noone is a good suggestion, wouldn't be surprised if he is on our shopping list. Would do very well in league 1.

Steele going for 500k is a real coup. You do have to fear for Sunderland next season, made some really poor signings. 

11 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Craig Noone is a good suggestion, wouldn't be surprised if he is on our shopping list. Would do very well in league 1.

Steele going for 500k is a real coup. You do have to fear for Sunderland next season, made some really poor signings. 

Craig Noone would be class for this league, maybe Whittingham could convince him to come here! Although I do think your Ipswich's and Burton's would probably be interested in him. Never know though. 

Archived