BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

in the old days when football was fun and TMs Dad was teaching his lad about blood n snot.... there was 1 sub and if your keeper went  off the centre forward went in the nets.

Can anyone name Rovers outfield players who graced our sticks???

don martin

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why do you think there is no money?

why do you think there is ??

have the last 7 years never happened ????...

If you seriously think Venkys will do what is right for Rovers or the fans you're off you're head pal...

if you take a look at their business portfolio you will find football isn't core business ( They're not interested in football never have been and never will be )..........now unless I've suddenly missed something like Bazza was a massive fan in the old second division...do you get my drift ?

1 hour ago, McClarky said:

Didn't he go in goal during a torrential downpour against West Brom 1 Saturday at Ewood?  Don't think he saved a pen, that might be an urban myth.

'Short pants what's the score' to the West Brom fan in the DE wearing Bermuda shorts. Terrace humour at it's finest.

Vague memories of Garner decking Colin West (?) after he went in with studs on Gennoe but maybe not this game, think they both got sent off.

5 hours ago, roverstdt said:

To me the squad is stronger. Look at who left and who we have signed up. 

Out: 

Henley,

Lowe

Stokes

Steele

Greer

Brown

Akpan

Mahoney 

In: 

Gladwin

Dack

Samuel 

Smallwood

Whittingham 

Caddis

Nuttall

Now out of all the players we signed there is not a single one from the above that I would want to have kept over the replacement we have got in so in that respect yes in my eyes the squad in stronger and better than before. 

Back on track. When you sum it up like that its difficult for me to disagree I know the window isn't shut yet difficult to grumble about things as there currently stand. Good post on reflection.

"Agreed but what do we expect being in debt 100million+, too many years of buying players not good enough and giving them high wages, just ask our old friend ARRY Redknapp what happens when you do that, Birmingham will be in the sh*t soon enough."
Feel familar?  Off the Sunderland Forum. We are not alone. Just further along the curve. I think they have one of the lowest budgets in the league for transfers. Like us they are buying to do a job at low cost. 

On another related subject Talksport were going nuts at the literally hundreds of millions going out of the game as City pay off the agents responsible for their mega deals. No Mr 10% anymore. Agents negotiate their own fees just like they negotiate their player fees. 

4 hours ago, meadows said:

The Ipswich game was about 10 days after that WBA game. I actually missed the WBA game on a ride out to the Lakes but no keeper was substituted

It was Vince O'Keefe who got injured v Ipswich, of all things a broken leg. He missed the rest of the season and only played a couple more the following season before moving on. 

Garner had one of his best games for us filling in at left back when somebody got sent off in that 85 FA Cup win at Oxford - presumably Branagan or Basil got sent off & he was absolutely terrific against a very potent Oxford attack of the time, chased, tackled and harried like a dervish  

Lot better footballer and football brain than he was often given credit for - back to goal, holding it up on half way he was brilliant at spreading it out to Windy Miller or Noel wide 

Think it was Jason Dozzell that did him that night, in front of the Darwen End after a 50/50 iirc. Think Dozzell has a son just starting out at Ipswich at the moment.

Mowbray still after 4 new players. Keeper, at least 1 more striker, defender

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15438983._We_need_to_create_more_competition____Rovers_boss_still_looking_for_up_to_four_new_additions/

Ross Turnbull mentioned. It also mentions Conor Ripley but I believe he with sign for Bristol City permanent.

Striker likely to be a loan. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15438983._We_need_to_create_more_competition____Rovers_boss_still_looking_for_up_to_four_new_additions/

Ross Turnbull mentioned. It also mentions Conor Ripley but I believe he with sign for Bristol City permanent.

Where have you heard about the Connor Ripley to Bristol City ? , not doubting you but but would fit something I heard about one of Bristols Keepers ?

32 minutes ago, AJW said:

Where have you heard about the Connor Ripley to Bristol City ? , not doubting you but but would fit something I heard about one of Bristols Keepers ?

Sky sports reporter Pete O'Rouke

And this now

BREAKING: #bristolcity are delighted to confirm the signing of @ripley_connor on a 3 year deal from @Boro ! https://t.co/AGShoXIwyu

9 hours ago, meadows said:

We'll gloss over that. 7-1 at Gay Meadow. 

Remember looking at the pink-print Stop Press column in the Last Sports on Sunday morning

LATE GOALS*

53 mins 3-1 Wood (Shrewsbury) 

64 mins 4-1 Wood (Shrewsbury)

69 mins 5-1 Wood ( Shrewsbury) 

....and so on

Old Alf Wood got 5 that day  

Not sure what the score was when Sir Roger went off injured

*The written report in the centre pages usually wrapped just after half-time with the print deadlines 

I don't actually remember the score when Roger went off but I'm sure he was injured early on but stayed on for a large part of the game. Besides scoring five Wood was the player who smashed Jones which resulted in a facial injury I think. It would probably have been violent conduct today but pretty much anything went then. I know Jones missed the next few games as John Barton deputised.

In 2006 I came across Roger Jones who was the kit man for Swindon Town. A group of non playing young Swindon players were disrespecting him outside the changing room and I tore a strip off them telling them if they were half as good as him they would be in the first team. Roger was humbled but embarrassed by my intervention as these kids didn't have a clue how good he was.

13 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

in the old days when football was fun and TMs Dad was teaching his lad about blood n snot.... there was 1 sub and if your keeper went  off the centre forward went in the nets.

Can anyone name Rovers outfield players who graced our sticks???

Can't remember the opposition but was an Ewood night match (about 30 years ago) when O'Keefe broke his leg and Simon Garner went into goal.  Seem to recall we won as well!

10 hours ago, meadows said:

We'll gloss over that. 7-1 at Gay Meadow. 

Remember looking at the pink-print Stop Press column in the Last Sports on Sunday morning

LATE GOALS*

53 mins 3-1 Wood (Shrewsbury) 

64 mins 4-1 Wood (Shrewsbury)

69 mins 5-1 Wood ( Shrewsbury) 

....and so on

Old Alf Wood got 5 that day  

Not sure what the score was when Sir Roger went off injured

*The written report in the centre pages usually wrapped just after half-time with the print deadlines 

Wood was a real handful at that level and would have been an ideal signing for Rovers back in those days.

38 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't actually remember the score when Roger went off but I'm sure he was injured early on but stayed on for a large part of the game. Besides scoring five Wood was the player who smashed Jones which resulted in a facial injury I think. It would probably have been violent conduct today but pretty much anything went then. I know Jones missed the next few games as John Barton deputised.

In 2006 I came across Roger Jones who was the kit man for Swindon Town. A group of non playing young Swindon players were disrespecting him outside the changing room and I tore a strip off them telling them if they were half as good as him they would be in the first team. Roger was humbled but embarrassed by my intervention as these kids didn't have a clue how good he was.

Shows how times have changed.  Hard to imagine how any modern day PL / Championship player would need to be a 'kit man' 30+ years on.

Sir Roger was a top class act both as a footballer and an individual.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He (Mowbray) added: “With total respect to these young boys we can’t ask them to come in and play 20 or 30 games so we need some players around the squad to beef it up a bit.”

Thankfully he's not going to be relying on the young kids and potentially ruining them.  @MGPensioner was implying yesterday that everyone who comes out of the Academy was Phil Jones or Wayne Rooney  just because we were Cat 1. Common sense has prevailed.

Archived