BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

Good win last night, from a really good performance. For me everyone played well and did they part but as for the standouts:

Downing - Both him and Sir Charles had a good game and he looks an improvement on the shaky Ward. I thought aerially he wasn't very strong but that could be because he was up against a big lummox up front. Crucially, from last night anyway, he knows when to play it and when to lump it. I like that. Two games and two clean sheets.

Antonsson - MOM on the night and for me also. Looked great out on the left, the full back couldn't cope with his feet, pace or movement. He couldn't get near him all game practically, dropping into pockets of space. Never stopped running and he knew the full back had nothing for him. To cap it off he popped up with a goal.

Samuel and Bennett (First half in particular) - The centre halves had no answer to Samuel's work rate and movement, should have scored a couple though. Bennett as usual put 100% in and had the measure of their full back, managing to put a couple good balls into the box. Offers good protection for Caddis.

Chapman - Now this lad is exciting to watch. I don't want to say he's too good for this level as I haven't seen him play 90 minutes so far (in League One) but if he can replicate his play over a full game then he's certainly too good. Fearless, a young player with lots of confidence. 

What struck me last night is, for what is the first time in a long while, we actually had runners that ran beyond the striker and into the box! They didnt have an answer for it. Dack was buzzing around nicely and will score goals for us if he keeps getting into the box. Smallwood worked hard and threw some nice tackles in as per.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After last night I'm more convinced that getting in behind the opposition defence will be key in most games this season. Most of our chances in the first half came from Bennett on the right getting beyond the full back. Antonsson also did this on several occasions. That is why I really don't think Conway should be in the team as he invariably comes infield too often.

Dack was enjoyable to watch last night in a position where he can hurt the opposition with his close control and quick feet. One incident aside Mulgrew and Downing looked a better centre back pairing than of late. Downing keeps it simple which is exactly what is required.

Just now, arbitro said:

After last night I'm more convinced that getting in behind the opposition defence will be key in most games this season. Most of our chances in the first half came from Bennett on the right getting beyond the full back. Antonsson also did this on several occasions. That is why I really don't think Conway should be in the team as he invariably comes infield too often.

Dack was enjoyable to watch last night in a position where he can hurt the opposition with his close control and quick feet. One incident aside Mulgrew and Downing looked a better centre back pairing than of late. Downing keeps it simple which is exactly what is required.

I played at the back and the difference in degree of difficulty when you're trying to stay close to the guy you're marking when you've been turned around and you're back tracking towards your own goal is massive.

When play is always in front of you and you can see both the ball and the player you're marking defending is much easier.

Watch any compilation of goals and see how many come from wide players getting around the side of teams and turning the defence around.

The thought that went through my mind when I first saw Dack play  was - a poor man's Rodney Marsh. That's still plenty good enough for this division though.

As somebody else said Chapman s the new Stuart Ripley.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

excellent win tonight. should have been more goals tonight. 

first half we created loads of chances and should have been at least 3 nil up. The formation worked tonight, and Antonsson on left, Dack in number 10 and Bennett on right with Samuel up front worked and we got plenty of chances through them. Antonsson was outstanding all game and should have had hat trick tonight. had the beaten of Rotherham right back all game. Dack show why he is talented player and should be starting. 

Rotherham were poor first half, but improved second half but felt Rovers didn't come out like our first half performance. But we had enough chances second half to have score 3 or 4 more goals., 

Downing should be started every game until Lenihan is back. 

Very enjoyable evening tonight. more of the same on Saturday please 

On the evidence of last night you where right about Antonnson playing left,thought he had a good game.Excellent movement and a nice goal.Was impressed

Fantastic performance, really incredibly pleased. 

Few critics about missed chances and should have been winning by a huge score lines, the reality of it is, that every team misses chances and hopefully if it was mm the other way it would have bounced in off the post etc. 

Great win, cracking performance, lets keep it going! 

This is a new side, a relatively young side finding its way in a new division and its not going to happen overnight.

I think I was the only poster who thought we played ok at Shrewsbury, against a side that had taken 22 points from a possible 24 and we could have won that game, we only seemed 1/2 passes away from opening them up time and time again, but a draw was a fair result. 

Last night it sounds like we missed a hatful, but its very encouraging that we created so many chances, clean sheet, another 3 points in the bag and handily placed in the league. 

Onwards and upwards.

31 minutes ago, Gav said:

This is a new side, a relatively young side finding its way in a new division and its not going to happen overnight.

I think I was the only poster who thought we played ok at Shrewsbury, against a side that had taken 22 points from a possible 24 and we could have won that game, we only seemed 1/2 passes away from opening them up time and time again, but a draw was a fair result. 

Last night it sounds like we missed a hatful, but its very encouraging that we created so many chances, clean sheet, another 3 points in the bag and handily placed in the league. 

Onwards and upwards.

Absolutely agree.... 

Credit where it's due; team selection and tactics were spot on by Tony.

I don't think it's difficult, just pick your best side and play people in the right positions rather than worry overly about the opposition. Hope the lesson has been learnt.

This side should be in the top 2, there's still Lenni and Conway to come back in.

Hopefully make it a 7 point week on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When play is always in front of you and you can see both the ball and the player you're marking defending is much easier.

Watch any compilation of goals and see how many come from wide players getting around the side of teams and turning the defence around.

As somebody else said Chapman s the new Stuart Ripley.

In that case I wish he was the new Duggie!

53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Was the Rotherham 'goal' right to be disallowed btw? Looking forward to highlights of this game :)

Linesman indicated the ball had gone out before it came back in again. We were fortunate there because we were nowhere in challenging for the header.

Just watching the highlights on the Internet. What was Raya doing playing that short pass out to a player with his back to play ! Downing ended up having to take one for the team there. Also the lack of protection for goalkeepers compared with the Premier League is ridiculous. Chapman's goal reminded me of the one MPG scored against the dingles, he's strong as well as quick. I still think he's got a bit of tunnel vision though.

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A much better performance than of late.  I thought it was a good team performance which ought to have brought far more than two goals.  Apart from the finishing I thought we gave our best performance of the season in terms of the quality of the football.  We now have a decent run of fixtures to hopefully make progress in terms of League position.  I still think mid-season will be the point at which we make the depth of our squad, particularly with the batch of youngsters coming through, tell against many of the clubs at the top who have much smaller squads.  Another three points on Saturday and it will give us 19 points from 10 games - only 1 point away from the 2 points per game average that is required - a decent start to the season.

I did that equation today too! 2 points average per game is what we should be aiming for, automatic promotion.

Starting to build up a nice goal difference column as well!

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Linesman indicated the ball had gone out before it came back in again. We were fortunate there because we were nowhere in challenging for the header.

Just watching the highlights on the Internet. What was Raya doing playing that short pass out to a player with his back to play ! Downing ended up having to take one for the team there. Also the lack of protection for goalkeepers compared with the Premier League is ridiculous. Chapman's goal reminded me of the one MPG scored against the dingles, he's strong as well as quick. I still think he's got a bit of tunnel vision though.

Thanks for clarifying that- watched it three times now and could see nothing wrong with the goal!

Didn't watch the full game, but just watched the extended highlights now, and ... wow. That must have been some game. It looked like a score of 10-0 wouldn't have even flattered our performance. It looked like the team is finally gelling together and demolishing the opposition.

On the evidence of that, we should be back in contention for promotion in no time. What I think is going to be important for us over the season is the amazing depth of the squad. That starting 11 was easily outplaying Rotherham, but we were in a position to bring players like Chapman, Nyambe, Whittingham and Graham off the bench if needed to as well. That's not to mention the players currently out with injuries (Conway, Lenihan, Gladwin) and also the promising youngsters we have in the U23 squad.

Feeling pretty positive after watching that now!

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I did that equation today too! 2 points average per game is what we should be aiming for, automatic promotion.

Starting to build up a nice goal difference column as well!

I enjoyed the win. Good to see us passing through and actually getting behind the opposition. Very pleased with Downing at the back.

A few worries for me, though.Some of our finishing was so inept-almost criminal LOL. Alf Thornton might have called it profligate! We won't always get so many chances.

There was a period in the 2nd half, where Rotherham were taking control.

I also worry that Samuel and Antonsson seem to be out muscled too frequently, although I felt last night's ref could have been more generous in awarding fouls on both of them.

The main thing is to keep picking up points, while we are not firing properly and while Mowbray settles on his best team and formation.. I do feel Whittingham will end up as a starter before too long.

Much improved performance against a team that don't seem to travel too well.

Only concerns - We don't appear to win too many headers anywhere on the pitch. Some players seem a bit lightweight at times and get knocked off the ball too easily. Finishing also needs to be improved - game should have been put to bed way before the 85th minute - and had the linesman not seen the ball go out of play for their 'disallowed equaliser' then things could have been different.

12 minutes ago, neophox said:

It takes around 10 games in the league for new teams to gel... feel

its our turn to win games now until end of season!! 

I'll believe it when I see it. Been too Venkied around to think we've turned a corner. It always bites you in the ass.

Archived