SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who should replace TM?

neophox

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

True. Not saying Mowbray is Guardiola , bu even he struggle in his first season at city 

We just have a huge desire for the club to do well this season 

Absolutely and I genuinely believe that Mowbray has the same desire. I wish a few of the managers before him, had the same passion, as there is no questioning that.

If Mowbray does get potted, be it now, or later in the season, the outcome is entirely inevitable. It's written in the stars. And here's how it'll happen...

Venus will get potted alongside Mowbray, leaving fan-favourite, Dunny, to take over as caretaker. The club will receive managerial applications over the course of a month, and take their own sweet time to choose which of the chaff is the "outstanding candidate" (shudder). Meanwhile, Dunny will have picked up some reasonable results over the course of the month, keeping us in touch with the play-offs. As the managerial search continues in the same way that it always has under Venkys - inaction, dithering, infighting, and most importantly, a crap set of candidates to choose from, the club will eventually come to the inevitable conclusion, and the only conclusion that I will ever see them come to - "Might as well give it to Dunny".

The end.

Actually, it's not the end of anything, because Venkys or not, Mowbray's games in hand are just about saving his neck from having the (attending) fans turn on him.

I understand that he has his hands tied behind his back, that he is a good guy and very passionate about football. Of course, he is not purposely trying to lose football matches. However, the constant tinkering, the many different formations he has used, he doesnt know his best team, the fact that he obviously cannot motivate the team and even lets them decide if they want to play or not. He bigs up every opponent before we play them and then lays out the excuses when we get beaten. 

His own target was top two with 80 goals scored. We are well off course of this at this point in time. Sticking with him is basically accepting that we will be in League 1 next season. You can bet he wont get the backing he did this season next time around and there will be players out of the door. It will essentially become the Championship all over again where we slowly slip down the league until we find ourselves in Division 4. Getting up THIS season is imperative.

Just now, Phil T said:

Mowbray's games in hand are just about saving his neck from having the (attending) fans turn on him.

There is something about TM I like or should I say I dont dislike the man personally ( unlike K**N - Coyle etc ) So Id rather he hold his hands up and quit before he starts to get the cauldron of hate from those fans.

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I understand that he has his hands tied behind his back, that he is a good guy and very passionate about football. Of course, he is not purposely trying to lose football matches. However, the constant tinkering, the many different formations he has used, he doesnt know his best team, the fact that he obviously cannot motivate the team and even lets them decide if they want to play or not. He bigs up every opponent before we play them and then lays out the excuses when we get beaten. 

His own target was top two with 80 goals scored. We are well off course of this at this point in time. Sticking with him is basically accepting that we will be in League 1 next season. You can bet he wont get the backing he did this season next time around and there will be players out of the door. It will essentially become the Championship all over again where we slowly slip down the league until we find ourselves in Division 4. Getting up THIS season is imperative.

I'm not sure how his hands are tied. He has (by League One standards) had a fortune to spend. He even said he had money left at the end of the window. He has by far the biggest budget and was allowed to keep the only players of value left.

The issue of the Indians ownership and Mowbrays record are, to my mind completely separate as he has been given (or so it appears) what he asked for.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I wonder if it would be any different, if he was working, under a proper structure? Perhaps the two firms of accountants realised that we had too many people at the top, got rid of a few and now Mowbray is trying to perform miracles. If any of us on here, suddenly had to do our own job and that of an absent colleague for a while, would the quality of our work suffer?

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I'm not sure how his hands are tied. He has (by League One standards) had a fortune to spend. He even said he had money left at the end of the window. He has by far the biggest budget and was allowed to keep the only players of value left.

The issue of the Indians ownership and Mowbrays record are, to my mind completely separate as he has been given (or so it appears) what he asked for.

I just meant hands tied having to try and work under these clown owners and the difficulties that must bring. But yeah, my point exactly - there really are no excuses for what has been served up on the pitch. People say we need to gel despite wigan bringing in more new players than us, having a new manager with less time to prepare - We finished above them last season and have kept our better players, spent more than anyone else and have the largest wage bill - so how are they so far ahead of us all of a sudden in a league below?

Just now, roverstdt said:

I would actually look at the following guys. 

Tisdale

Bowyer

Coleman

Hill

Jackett

I'd rather have Dunny or Johnson over any of that lot! I'm with @J*B on the dream appointment, though. Hakan Sukur would be immense.

1 hour ago, pk1875 said:

Mowbray IN for me, the guy is trying to put some much needed structure in place at Ewood, he shouldn't need to but years of neglect means he has to do so. Whilst results haven't been amazing we are sat in a handy place just outside the play offs with a couple of games in hand on others. The fact that we have continually let players contracts just run down and brought in dross means our squad is changed to much from season to season.

Id like to see Mowbray do well and stay around for a few seasons and put in place some resemblance of normality in to the place.

The real problem lies with The Owners, Pacha and Cheston. Any manager would struggle to achieve their full potential working within the circus that is Blackburn Rovers, TM is trying to address these issues as well as run a promotion challenge with a squad that is still gelling. I honestly believe TM is the best manager we have had since Venkys potted Big Sam to bring in the first of Jerome's boys.

I'm baffled by some of our fans, they seem to forget the damage Venkys have done and now look straight at the manager. Yes we are all frustrated and think we should be doing better but lets not forget the real villains in all this. TM is trying to build a structure with the hindrance of a board room that consists of a finance guy, Rob I'll see you in Coart and the mystery man Pacha lurking in the shadows, then onto the cretins in Pune...

It seems many fans think we should walk this league with our squad, but in honesty probably half a dozen sets of fans will think they have the best squads in the league.

totally agree and 100% spot on. really good post and one of the best Ive seen on here in recent months. 

as for the suggestions Ive seen so far, None are outstanding choices or some have never managed at this level. 

Rosler - Never got a team promoted from this league

D.Johnson - no first team manager experience and do anyone ever know if he wants to become a manager

Cowley brothers - no experience at this level. big risk

Ardley - done well at AFC Wimbledon. But don't know a lot about him tbh. 

Hill - Former Rovers player and experience as manager. should have been on the shortlist last season. Not doing well this season

Bowyer - did well here 1st time but would he want to come back and work for Venkys again

Billy Davies - not been an manager over 3 years and couldn't even get the Hearts manager job during the summer. 

Tugay - no experience in England as coach or manager. massive risk and to his reputation 

Roy Keane - no way would he come here and work for Venkys and looks very happy with Martin O'Neil number 2

Grayson - manager at Sunderland

Ainsworth - former player. should have been on the shortlist last summer but wasn't. 

Wilcox - just been appointed Man City academy manager so why would he leave that post and has no first team experience as manager

Someone on the way up.

Johnson ticks that box & has had results at Under 23 level.

Although I don't subscribe to the romantic idea of bringing back former players, I do think Matt Jansen would be a good shout. Learning his trade the hard way and an intelligent guy.

Dunn. Why? If ever there was a case of jobs for the boys, he is it.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

totally agree and 100% spot on. really good post and one of the best Ive seen on here in recent months. 

as for the suggestions Ive seen so far, None are outstanding choices or some have never managed at this level. 

D.Johnson - no first team manager experience and do anyone ever know if he wants to become a manager

Cowley brothers - no experience at this level. big risk

Ardley - done well at AFC Wimbledon. But don't know a lot about him tbh. 

Hill - Former Rovers player and experience as manager. should have been on the shortlist last season. Not doing well this season

Bowyer - did well here 1st time but would he want to come back and work for Venkys again

Billy Davies - not been an manager over 3 years and couldn't even get the Hearts manager job during the summer. 

Tugay - no experience in England as coach or manager. massive risk and to his reputation 

Roy Keane - no way would he come here and work for Venkys and looks very happy with Martin O'Neil number 2

Grayson - manager at Sunderland

Ainsworth - former player. should have been on the shortlist last summer but wasn't. 

Wilcox - just been appointed Man City academy manager so why would he leave that post and has no first team experience as manager

Any of those get appointed and they'll be elevated to God status within minutes of it appearing on Twitter.

25 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Someone on the way up.

Johnson ticks that box & has had results at Under 23 level.

Although I don't subscribe to the romantic idea of bringing back former players, I do think Matt Jansen would be a good shout. Learning his trade the hard way and an intelligent guy.

Dunn. Why? If ever there was a case of jobs for the boys, he is it.

but Johnson or Jansen have no manager experience at this level. 

Jansen is managing Chorley. 

Johnson is an under 23 manager with no experience of coaching or managing at first team level, and why don't even know if he wanted to be first team manager who very happy coaching under 23's level and wish to remain doing this. 

Both would be a massive risk and one not worth it gambling on. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

That is disingenuous and you know it. He left Brentford before getting promoted as he got an offer from Wigan (higher division at the time), he was a massive part in getting Brentford to where they are now (probably the biggest part), and he got Fleetwood (Fleetwood!) to 3rd place last season. Remind me when Mowbray got a team promoted out of this league? Rosler is a 10x better manager than Mowbray, as he has proven throughout his career.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

but Johnson or Jansen have no manager experience at this level. 

Jansen is managing Chorley. 

Johnson is an under 23 manager with no experience of coaching or managing at first team level, and why don't even know if he wanted to be first team manager who very happy coaching under 23's level and wish to remain doing this. 

Both would be a massive risk and one not worth it gambling on. 

So every manager who gets a club promoted from a division has managed in said division before?

As I posted earlier - the last manager to get us out of this division was a rookie.

To reiterate, ideally we want a young, upcoming manager with some tangible success already on his CV.

However, failing that, from the candidate pool we are now realistically choosing from as a League One club, we do not want another washed up has been topping up his pension pot.

4 hours ago, pk1875 said:

Mowbray IN for me, the guy is trying to put some much needed structure in place at Ewood, he shouldn't need to but years of neglect means he has to do so. Whilst results haven't been amazing we are sat in a handy place just outside the play offs with a couple of games in hand on others. The fact that we have continually let players contracts just run down and brought in dross means our squad is changed to much from season to season.

Id like to see Mowbray do well and stay around for a few seasons and put in place some resemblance of normality in to the place.

The real problem lies with The Owners, Pacha and Cheston. Any manager would struggle to achieve their full potential working within the circus that is Blackburn Rovers, TM is trying to address these issues as well as run a promotion challenge with a squad that is still gelling. I honestly believe TM is the best manager we have had since Venkys potted Big Sam to bring in the first of Jerome's boys.

I'm baffled by some of our fans, they seem to forget the damage Venkys have done and now look straight at the manager. Yes we are all frustrated and think we should be doing better but lets not forget the real villains in all this. TM is trying to build a structure with the hindrance of a board room that consists of a finance guy, Rob I'll see you in Coart and the mystery man Pacha lurking in the shadows, then onto the cretins in Pune...

It seems many fans think we should walk this league with our squad, but in honesty probably half a dozen sets of fans will think they have the best squads in the league.

Thank god we still have some posters with the ability to see the bigger picture :tu:

4 hours ago, Leyland-Rover said:

I fear the opposite to the majority on this thread - that sacking will lead to relegation again. 

This is exactly my fear in the sense that (as PK said) the owners sticking their oar in again is more likely to send us further backwards 

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

This is exactly my fear in the sense that (as PK said) the owners sticking their oar in again is more likely to send us further backwards 

I agree.

In my starker moments I think that nothing matters, until the crooked Indians are gone.It is like the pointless pain before a hip replacement, as opposed to the purposeful pain when you are trying to promote movement after the op. Now, it is like we are suffering on the waiting list...and it could go on for a long time!

If one/two of our own owners seem(s) to have actively initiated relegation-possibly twice- then who is to say the drop wouldn't be engineered again?

5 hours ago, pk1875 said:

If I don't get this squad up I'm not much of a  coach - T Mowbray Oct '17.

To answer the question to the topic- no. If the whole topic isn’t bad enough, the people who want him gone are suggesting the likes of Johnson, the two lads at Lincoln and Tugay. None of these have the experience of this league. 

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree.

In my starker moments I think that nothing matters, until the crooked Indians are gone.It is like the pointless pain before a hip replacement, as opposed to the purposeful pain when you are trying to promote movement after the op. Now, it is like we are suffering on the waiting list...and it could go on for a long time!

If one/two of our own owners seem(s) to have actively initiated relegation-possibly twice- then who is to say the drop wouldn't be engineered again?

If we carry on playing the way we have recently you may find out next spring.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

So every manager who gets a club promoted from a division has managed in said division before?

As I posted earlier - the last manager to get us out of this division was a rookie.

To reiterate, ideally we want a young, upcoming manager with some tangible success already on his CV.

However, failing that, from the candidate pool we are now realistically choosing from as a League One club, we do not want another washed up has been topping up his pension pot.

Look at the managers we’ve had which have had no experience of the league we’ve been in though:

Kean- disaster 

Appleton- shambles

Berg- abysmal 

Bowyer- did okay

Kidd- dreadful

Hughes- excellent, but he’d already managed Wales

The cherry on the top though, who had the 2 things you stated as a must above (youth and some success): 

Ince- absolute disaster

Experience, experience, experience is all that those planks in India should look for, based on... experience of their dreadful reign here.  

Archived