BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Nixon’s attempt at covering his tracks after saying we’d only be getting loans:

‘BLACKBURN. Venkys have had some profitable months ... so boosted Mowbray spending fund enough to do Armstrong deal’

Talks shite. They will spend more than 3m on another player yet. The only reason this has taken so long is Mowbray wanting to pay performance related add ons and Newcastle wanted the money upfront.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sharpe saying he was given the impression earlier in the summer that a centre midfielder would be the big money signing so he reckons McGinn could be one to watch

That makes interesting. At least it's funny to see the Celtic fans riled up like this

https://thecelticstar.com/bunch-bs-john-mcginn-three-options-open-hibs/

1 minute ago, Tormund said:

Yes please McGinn, better than all of our centre midfielders. Doesn’t matter how many we have, if you can improve on them then you should go for it. 2.5/3 million would be a great bit of business

Surely, we are going to have to ship one or two midfielders  out as well.

I remember Appleton going on about the total imbalance of the squad. But we knew the skulduggery behind that.situation.

We are desperately short in other areas imv..

• Like 2

I know the transfer window ends on Thursday, but am I correct in assuming that deals that not done by then can be structured as loans with buy at the end? Which means we can basicly buy players untill the end of the month

2 minutes ago, briansol said:

I know the transfer window ends on Thursday, but am I correct in assuming that deals that not done by then can be structured as loans with buy at the end? Which means we can basicly buy players untill the end of the month

Yeah but I'm hoping we will get the majority of our buisness done before next game.

We need some quality brought in.We dropped points yesterday as we didn't have enough quality to bring on.These players will need time to bed in 

if RS got the impression that a midfielder would be aour big money signing, it kinda shows that TM knows we are weak in that area despite being well stocked. I guess he like others have thought, is that Smallwood is great in L1 but is not quite up for it in the Championship. Add to that the one good performance in ten from Evans and it is quite clear we need more quality there. 

Running around a lot and harassing their players will get you far in L1 but we need people in their that can play a bit as well for the Championship. We have four forwards in front of them, so need someone behind that can contribute to getting them in decent areas. 

• Like 5

Just now, JacknOry said:

if RS got the impression that a midfielder would be aour big money signing, it kinda shows that TM knows we are weak in that area despite being well stocked. I guess he like others have thought, is that Smallwood is great in L1 but is not quite up for it in the Championship. Add to that the one good performance in ten from Evans and it is quite clear we need more quality there. 

Running around a lot and harassing their players will get you far in L1 but we need people in their that can play a bit as well for the Championship. We have four forwards in front of them, so need someone behind that can contribute to getting them in decent areas. 

From a scout report (Sunderland page)

Brendan Rodgers: "the type of player you love as a manager" citing him as the "driving force" in the middle for Hibs, whilst lauding his passing ability and ability to get into the box.

A very skillful central midfielder, he has great passing ability without losing any tenacity in the tackle - attributes Sunderland have lacked for quite some time.

49 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Our problem is we have plenty of midfielders...but are any of them actually good enough? 

Whittingham disappointing -legs gone?

Travis -promising but untested

Davenport - as above

Smallwood - good bench player at this level.

Evans - rarely delivers often injured.

None of them are box to box either. 

Would be good to get some quality in there -but we can say that about all areas of the pitch.

Interesting that Sharpe reckons that Armstrong isn't the striker replacement for Graham and we are still after one. Seems to think that the Armstrong deal was too good to pass on.

Travis can be box to box. Davenport is more of deep playmaker. 

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

Talks shite. They will spend more than 3m on another player yet. The only reason this has taken so long is Mowbray wanting to pay performance related add ons and Newcastle wanted the money upfront.

So we will spend another 3 mil another player? Any idea who? Will this be a striker one? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

15 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Surely, we are going to have to ship one or two midfielders  out as well.

I remember Appleton going on about the total imbalance of the squad. But we knew the skulduggery behind that.situation.

We are desperately short in other areas imv..

100% agree with other areas being a priority but at the same time McGinn would undoubtedly improve our first 11.

Il be honest I have my doubts about Smallwood and Evans.At times yesterday they couldn't get a hold on the game at all 

Some of Mowbray's deals have been a bit odd though.Downing wasn't in the 18 yesterday and Mowbray wants to bring in another centre half, that suggests to me Mowbray doesn't think Downing is good enough so then why did he sign him on a permanent deal?He should have been thanked for his service and been sent back after his loan ended 

Davenport is another strange enough one if the McGinn rumours are true, no doubt is he highly rated and I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the signing but we already have a highly thought of youngster in Travis on the bench for that role do you really need two?

Maybe we have more money than I expected and we will strengthen all areas but hopefully we will see the like of caddis and Gladwin depart before the window closes too 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

100% agree with other areas being a priority but at the same time McGinn would undoubtedly improve our first 11.

Il be honest I have my doubts about Smallwood and Evans.At times yesterday they couldn't get a hold on the game at all 

Some of Mowbray's deals have been a bit odd though.Downing wasn't in the 18 yesterday and Mowbray wants to bring in another centre half, that suggests to me Mowbray doesn't think Downing is good enough so then why did he sign him on a permanent deal?He should have been thanked for his service and been sent back after his loan ended 

Davenport is another strange enough one if the McGinn rumours are true, no doubt is he highly rated and I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the signing but we already have a highly thought of youngster in Travis on the bench for that role do you really need two?

Maybe we have more money than I expected and we will strengthen all areas but hopefully we will see the like of caddis and Gladwin depart before the window closes too 

Think Davenport will be in ahead of one of the two as soon as he shakes off this niggle. Like you said, the two yesterday could not get a hold on the game at all - the game passed them by. Something needs to change in there and we need to ship a few out.

Still, a striker and a winger is equally as important. Still lots of work to do on this squad.

14 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I am surprised Mowbray didnt try to offload more of our deadwood. Maybe no clubs were interested in the likes of Wittingham, Gladwin etc 

I’d be very surprised if anyone wanted to take Gladwin off us. 

Gets injured putting his boots on.

Come on Venkys, Waggott and Mowbray, as this transfer window to date has been extremely poor to date and the seasons started ....change it into a positive please !

Edited by JAL
  • Like 3

I think Rovers will try and get Peter Whittingham, Ben Gladwin, Joe Nuttall, Willem Tomlinson, Sam Hart and Andy Fisher out on loan if they secure all the positions they want to.

A box-to-box midfielder, striker, secondary striker, backup keeper and CB seem to be primary targets at the moment but can't help but feel we are still light a pacey winger.

The next 4 days are going to be very busy and interesting! It will be further interesting to see which players/positions Mowbray decides to get in on loan and whether those players will have a fee agreed to make the move permanent should we succeed at the end of the season.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Travis can be box to box. Davenport is more of deep playmaker. 

So we will spend another 3 mil another player? Any idea who? Will this be a striker one? 

It changes all the time but i think this week we will sign Gallagher (4m), Armstrong (2m), a winger on loan (probably from City) and a back up centre back (still want Bauer).