BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Not sure what Mowbray had in mind with Whittingham but from the outside it seemed a sensible back up option to Evans considering he's often rested for one thing or another (Sunday will be interesting to see) but then TM tried something completely different with him and it didn't work.  He had a few credible cameos filling in though but i'm not sure he's applied himself the best he could to ever have a chance of a regular place but that's what you get with older guys of that ilk they think status should guarantee them a place not graft, there's no hunger anymore and that doesn't fit this team.

No big deal in the grand scheme of things although we were warned by a few his legs were gone but he didn't cost the earth and he's hardly been Anthony Stokes level of wastrel.

Edited by tomphil

He seems like a good professional and role model too... all in all he probably won't have even cost £1m total so he's not to be classed as a huge failure by whatever stretch.

Could we offload him now and save ourselves a hundred grand or two... It'll probably pay most of Rodwell's wages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Bolton fans said that about Armstrong too when he was there. Came to Rovers, played primarily out wide and banged 10 goals in. I suppose it's about how you are played as opposed to where you play.

And the players you play with

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Maybe it hasn’t worked for him but I think it was a sign of intent at a crucial time in Rovers’ recent history. Who knows who else joined because we had signed such a credible Championship player in L1...

That's one way of looking at it.  My view is that it was a season too far for him. Warnock and Cardiff saw it coming.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's one way of looking at it.  My view is that it was a season too far for him. Warnock and Cardiff saw it coming.

Probably correct. And has proven to be true.

But at the time most were quite happy, possibly even impressed, by Whittingham‘s arrival.

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think they did - they offered him a better paid deal to stay. Think it may have only been one year though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Well, if we are in for a couple more players for Friday, there's no sniff on t'internet.  We seem to have gone dark again.  

Pretty sure we are trying for at least one more deal, or I reckon TM would have said our business was done. However, the lack of noise about it suggests that yes, we have closed off the leaks and also possibly that we aren't feeling too under pressure for more.

Get Chapman in and i think we've had a very good window.

Cant see how anyone can moan about it really, Ok we never got a CB (not counting Rodwell) and i'd of been miffed if we paid £2m for a defender with only 12mth left on his contract. I think we can cope till January

The futures bright in blue n white

Just now, pomster said:

Get Chapman in and i think we've had a very good window.

Cant see how anyone can moan about it really, Ok we never got a CB (not counting Rodwell) and i'd of been miffed if we paid £2m for a defender with only 12mth left on his contract. I think we can cope till January

The futures bright in blue n white

I think considering everything, we’ve had a fantastic window. You can never cover every single eventually and several injuries in one position will always expose us but the manager, directors and owners couldn’t have done much more.

Zero player sales

Exciting potential signed and £10m in fees commited  

Key players contracts extended

Add to this a very solid start and I’d say it’s been near on perfect. The fans have just gotta get down there and back Tony and the lads. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I kind of wonder what kind of homework was done to understand Rodwell’s personality. Who would we have spoken to to get a thumbs up a this stage of his career, his mum?

I find it hard to believe he was someone we had as a long term target. More like one of those agents texting him.

2D846C1E-CCDA-41BB-AB71-1D104EDC085B.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think considering everything, we’ve had a fantastic window. You can never cover every single eventually and several injuries in one position will always expose us but the manager, directors and owners couldn’t have done much more.

Zero player sales

Add to this a very solid start and I’d say it’s been near on perfect. The fans have just gotta get down there and back Tony and the lads. 

Alot easier said than done, the trophy hunters have gone, relagation, and Venky's ill feeling have all taken it's toll. As the saying goes .. Customers are easily lost but hard to find.

Also without wanting to sound rascist, the demographics in and around Blackburn have changed so much in the last 10 years or so. Burnleh a east lancs prem club are only around 17/18k gates

Edited by pomster
  • Like 3

I think the changing demographics are a factor, and that football in general has list its connection with its traditional market (e.g. the recent story about the number of clubs that could play without spectators & still be profit making).

Back on topic - Tuesday was further evidence for me that TM has transformed the culture at the club, and although it was no classic in terms of the quality of football played, the players worked hard as a team. Anyone coming in (including Brereton by the way) will have to adapt or risk not fitting in. It feels good to be a Rover again.ö

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pomster said:

Alot easier said than done, the trophy hunters have gone, relagation, and Venky's ill feeling have all taken it's toll. As the saying goes .. Customers are easily lost but hard to find.

Also without wanting to sound rascist, the demographics in and around Blackburn have changed so much in the last 10 years or so. Burnleh a east lancs prem club are only around 17/18k gates

It's not easy to get new faces through the turnstiles but it's a lot easier than getting the people who've turned their backs on the club to return. Apart from the odd game like the end of season jamboree I would suggest we've lost at least 10,000 fans . I would also suggest that at least two thirds of that 10,000 will never return on a regular basis no matter what. That along with the massive and increasing debt is the true cost of the Chicken Chokers and the reason why I'll never forgive or forget.

• Like 2

From what I recall Craig Bellamy had a poor reputation when he arrived at Ewood. Jack Rodwell may have issues surrounding him but let's give him the benefit of doubt. 

I had forgotten him until my lad reminded me of who he is.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul said:

From what I recall Craig Bellamy had a poor reputation when he arrived at Ewood. Jack Rodwell may have issues surrounding him but let's give him the benefit of doubt. 

I had forgotten him until my lad reminded me of who he is.

I don't think anybody for one minute doubted his determination, will to win and courage out on the pitch. It was his reputation of being the sort of guy that would cause an argument in an empty house that put people off signing him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Zero player sales

I'd change that "zero player sales" to "zero key player sales" as a positive. Retaining Lenihan, Dack and Mulgrew is of course a huge positive. However, I'd like to see us offload Whittingham, Gladwin and maybe Caddis in the last few days. If we can command even the slightest fee it would be a positive. 

Wouldn't mind Travis going on loan to get a full season under his belt either. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Zero player sales

Where do you sit? I never see you commenting on matches, just the transfers.

Edited by blueboy3333

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think anybody for one minute doubted his determination, will to win and courage out on the pitch. It was his reputation of being the sort of guy that would cause an argument in an empty house that put people off signing him.

I appreciate this but my point is a player is arriving with a reputation - my only knowledge of this is words on here - and he should be granted the opportunity to show he's changed, presuming he has.

Tony is, I feel, old school in his thinking if Rodwell has issues Mowbray will be aware of them and believe he can manage the player.