BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

40 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Guess the wink at the end didn't work hey...

1. He played for England at international level, meaning he performed at premier league level consistently enough to be called up and play three times.

2. Yes he did play 5 games but contributed enough to win a premier league medal.

3. He moved for 25 million because of City? Well he signed for Sunderland for 10 million too... Javi Garcia is/was an excellent footballer (googled to check his whereabouts, he is at Real Betis, playing consistently for a team that finished 6th last year).

I agree Stuart he has been poo since, no doubt. My point is that he has been an elite player who is currently on 27. Having seen him play on numerous occasions for Everton, he always looked like a Rolls Royce footballer, Jason Lowe has never been or ever will be! 

If Tony can get 50 per cent of Rodwell this season then that is someone who will be more than good enough to get into this team and play at championship level, all for a low wage, end of the season deal.

Playing for England these days has become almost meaningless. Just look at some of the puddings who've pulled on the shirt over the last few decades. Then you think Howard Kendall never got near a cap.

Be interesting to follow this one. Suspect he is Smallwoods replacement IF TM can get him interested whilst also covering CB if injuries pile up.

Could be a total waste of a shirt but could be an inspired signing. Casual fans know his name from the premier league, with TM and a psychologist he could improve our first 11 or at worst our bench.

Fingers crossed

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In two weeks we’ve gone from Brereton on £8m to no strikers and bringing in a free / damaged CB cover.

If it hadn’t been for Rothwell then this would have been a stinker of a window.

It’s all well and good ‘relaxing’ or ‘trusting Tony’ but it’s becoming a bit of a cop out.

If we don’t sign anyone the #trusttony movement will blame the market and say he was “right to not bow down to Forest and risk FFP”. If we spend £8m plus add ons, it’ll still be the market and it will be “a great deal - given the sell on”.

“Stinker” of a window when you potentially add quite a lot of quality, renew a few contracts key to our near future and keep our best players? Might not get all our choices, but “stinker”... I think the lady doth protest a little much personally. Still a week left too.

I can never get my head round how you group people, fans and viewpoints together, but this one is quite concerning.. you suggesting you don’t “trust” Tony or his decisions? There’s no “happy clapping, tony trusting, unicorn believing” super fan group you know? It’s just a fan has an opinion and states it? Why do you always have to put people who disagree with you in a box, and then label them something? The blue and white glasses for example...

We remember you thought he was a poor choice and you’ll post anything to justify that 18 months later, even after the success he’s been.

Itll take a lot to forget how quickly you asked for the “gaze” to return on him after the Charlton game (less than a week after promotion). 

I'm getting weary of this " Trust Tony " stuff. I don't trust anyone not to make mistakes in their life , working or personal. I'm on mistake number 357 at the moment.  He's a human being, he's fallible just like everybody else. So if I think he's getting it wrong I'll say so . If I'm wrong I'll be on mistake number 358.

• Like 4

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16598651.tony-mowbray-speaks-about-new-rovers-signing-jack-rodwell/

‘Mowbray urges Rodwell to take his chance ‘

”He’s a good enough footballer and he has to show us, show our supporters and show people that he cares”

”We’ve given him an opportunity and it’s down to him to grab it”

Hardly a positive signing.

It’s entirely possible that his terminal problems at Sunderland stemmed from being asked to drop his wages post-relegation and maybe being frozen out if/when he refused. However, we are starting from a minus position and hoping that we can turn him back somewhere close to the footballer he was 21. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and he’s missed an awful lot of football. This is definitely a stop gap for Rovers and last chance saloon for Rodwell. He cannot make an immediate impact on the first XI, has no potential sell-on (burnt out at 27 and only a short term deal - thankfully), he appears to have little mental strength, no real experience in this division and contributed about as much to his PL winners medal as he did to Sunderland’s relegation.

It’s all well and good taking a punt but it’s the kind of gamble-signing a club with very little money makes rather than one with £6-8m in the budget.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16598651.tony-mowbray-speaks-about-new-rovers-signing-jack-rodwell/

‘Mowbray urges Rodwell to take his chance ‘

”He’s a good enough footballer and he has to show us, show our supporters and show people that he cares”

”We’ve given him an opportunity and it’s down to him to grab it”

Hardly a positive signing.

It’s entirely possible that his terminal problems at Sunderland stemmed from being asked to drop his wages post-relegation and maybe being frozen out if/when he refused. However, we are starting from a minus position and hoping that we can turn him back somewhere close to the footballer he was 21. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and he’s missed an awful lot of football. This is definitely a stop gap for Rovers and last chance saloon for Rodwell. He cannot make an immediate impact on the first XI, has no potential sell-on (burnt out at 27 and only a short term deal - thankfully), he appears to have little mental strength, no real experience in this division and contributed about as much to his PL winners medal as he did to Sunderland’s relegation.

It’s all well and good taking a punt but it’s the kind of gamble-signing a club with very little money makes rather than one with £6-8m in the budget.

I'm still optimistic it's a gamble that's worth BUT make no mistake, we should have made something of a 'marquee' signing before this.

This is the kind of signing that should've come on deadline day after all other business was sorted.

That doesn't mean I think it's a poor signing, just that it's badly timed. Imo, a decent-money striker signing (say, £4m plus) will turn the Rodwell signing into a more positive looking one.

• Like 3

Bare in mind IF he is a centre mid he's got to be better than Evans - in his best Rovers form ever - Bennett and Rothwell, and potentially have more fight and steel in him than Smallwood to be preferred to him for some games. Personally I don't see that happening.

As a centre back it makes more sense squad wise but has he really even played there? Also bit harsh on Downing given how he performed over last season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'm still optimistic it's a gamble that's worth BUT make no mistake, we should have made something of a 'marquee' signing before this.

This is the kind of signing that should've come on deadline day after all other business was sorted.

That doesn't mean I think it's a poor signing, just that it's badly timed. Imo, a decent-money striker signing (say, £4m plus) will turn the Rodwell signing into a more positive looking one.

My thoughts exactly.  Spend the money, announce some quality permanent signings and then slip this guy in as a no risk option on deadline day.  Looks then like a decent punt - but if it fails, we've brought in x,y and z.  As it stands, it looks like a panic signing as we are incapable of getting anyone through the door.

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Agreed. As a statement of intent about our ambitions, we need to make that ‘marquee signing’  though. I.e. one that fans have heard of, at least a couple of good Championship seasons under his belt, a good 2-3 seasons in front of him AND can contribute to out first team immediately.

Our signings so far have ticked only one of those boxes only - or none - and seem to be to back up our squad.

It’s very possible that Armstrong is already our marquee signing and we are now picking up the best options for what little wages budget we have left. With Whittingham and Caddis departing on deadline day to make room. Maybe both paying for Rodwell’s wage.

I just wish we weren’t being led to believe we have pots of cash “for the right signings” if we haven’t - or if those “right signings” are Joe Biz’s unicorns.

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Agreed. As a statement of intent about our ambitions, we need to make that ‘marquee signing’  though. I.e. one that fans have heard of, at least a couple of good Championship seasons under his belt, a good 2-3 seasons in front of him AND can contribute to out first team immediately.

Our signings so far have ticked only one of those boxes only - or none - and seem to be to back up our squad.

It’s very possible that Armstrong is already our marquee signing and we are now picking up the best options for what little wages budget we have left. With Whittingham and Caddis departing on deadline day to make room. Maybe both paying for Rodwell’s wage.

I just wish we weren’t being led to believe we have pots of cash “for the right signings” if we haven’t - or if those “right signings” are Joe Biz’s unicorns.

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Eh :) 

8 hours ago, Biz said:

“Stinker” of a window when you potentially add quite a lot of quality, renew a few contracts key to our near future and keep our best players? Might not get all our choices, but “stinker”... I think the lady doth protest a little much personally. Still a week left too.

I can never get my head round how you group people, fans and viewpoints together, but this one is quite concerning.. you suggesting you don’t “trust” Tony or his decisions? There’s no “happy clapping, tony trusting, unicorn believing” super fan group you know? It’s just a fan has an opinion and states it? Why do you always have to put people who disagree with you in a box, and then label them something? The blue and white glasses for example...

We remember you thought he was a poor choice and you’ll post anything to justify that 18 months later, even after the success he’s been.

Itll take a lot to forget how quickly you asked for the “gaze” to return on him after the Charlton game (less than a week after promotion). 

You epitomize happyclapping

Edited by roverandout

30 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

If Rodwell can and still wants to play football , he will be a very good player for Blackburn Rovers...

Time will tell , I have my doubts but look at Kevin Davies for Bolton 

"If" and if he hasn't forgotten how.