BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/sports/premier-league-transfer-window.html

Some of the most insightful writing is now in the New York Times "on Soccer".

Basically argues technology and technical staff have taken punting out of transfer signings so now only players profiling to meet needs exactly get signed.

Meaning less transfer activity in the Premier League. Money is there but now it is harnessed to scientific assessment so doesn't get thrown around the same way.

At which point I am adding this means

- Less windfall selling in the Championship  

- Less transfer money to merry go round in the Championship

- and quiet windows for everybody because if you sell you cannot be certain of winkling out your targeted replacement from his current club.

Edited by philipl

5 hours ago, AAK said:

Over 3 seasons I thought 27 goals (13 nearly 50% of those goals were in his first 6 months). wasn't a great return for the money we paid, I didn't mean HE was crap, I just think it was a waste of £8 million apart from the first 12 months, mate. I think after he left he scored something like 30 goals in around 110 games, but to be fair he was well into his 30's then. Stuart Pearce said when he had him at city that "he was great to bring off the bench if we needed a goal" - maybe we could have used him more in that way.

That Cole transfer is a good example of what happens in January now. You have to remember the circumstances and timing of the move. (I remembered we were struggling so just looked it up)

We were 3 points off the bottom 3, in a very poor run of form and had just lost consecutive home games to Sunderland and bottom of the league Derby over Christmas.

Grabbi was struggling and Jansen hadnt settled yet in the Prem. As our main strikers, they had only scored only 2 league goals between them all season. The momentum was downward but fortunately the club invested big money in a gamble to fend off the possibility of relegation by bringing in Cole. We eventually survived a won a cup to boot.

The overall stats may look now like it wasn't a great return from £8mill on Cole. However the job he did, and the lift he gave that team to survive that season and set the platform to become a stable premier league team, was worth well more that the £8mill we spent.

Its a prime example of overpaying at this time of year but gambling to ensure the riches of the premier league continue. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I thought you knew anything about football other than what you read or hear I'd respond but as I know you don't I won't bother. Does your seat at Ewood actually face the pitch ?

Bit harsh there Tyrone ..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I thought you knew anything about football other than what you read or hear I'd respond but as I know you don't I won't bother. Does your seat at Ewood actually face the pitch ?

Totally unnecessary comments there. Insult after Insult. Wont be replying anymore

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I can see it now, we get beat off Brentford and all hell breaks loose on here Saturday night saying we have shown no ambition etc , written in the stars 

Exactly. Typical. Look at PhilipL comments 2 weeks about people from Blackburn

People will ignored the 'FACTS'..Newly promoted team, 8th in the league, 4 wins on the bounce. 

18 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

I wonder how he has over 50 games under his belt in the championship and still only 19, someone must have rated him ,I would get him in the u23s and try to get his confidence back .

You know this Brereton thing, I said since day one that in spite of the "smiles" from him his body language showed me he did not want to be here and I think that is part of the problem, a huge part of it.  I wonder.what the other players are making of all this.. Imagine Brad, they paid 10 times more for this waste of space than they did for me.

Really poor do from Rovers, 3 points off play offs and we sit on our hands.  Are we too scared to get promoted.  I always thought Bowyer was, self preservation.

Edited by USABlue

Most of the defence regarding the Brereton deal, predominantly from @Biz and @S8 & Blue is based on buzzwords such as "time" "patience" and "faith" which is fair enough to a certain degree but what have you actually seen in the way of tangible attributes from an admittedly small sample in terms of game time, or had you seen in his time previous to joining, to suggest that with time and patience, that he will/could/might prove to be a positive signing, and justify some of the quotes I have taken from the last few pages:

20 hours ago, sparky12 said:

I Still believe he will end up paying for himself. Agree not the instant impact you would want or expect but he's 19, Nuttall got a few years on him but i see a lot more potential in BB. 

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I do think that if Graham wasn't as undroppable as he is then BB would have contributed quite a bit more, grown into the team more and we wouldn't be so concerned with the numbers.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

I think he wil improve with time, patience and support.

8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I still believe that it will be seen as a shrewd move in time,

Youve all mentioned other players but there was never any doubt that there was something in their armoury to suggest there was something there, some potential, however raw, to build on. Take Armstrong, pre-2018 in the main his form was poor I would argue, he hadnt contributed enough goals or assists, he was poor much more often than he was good, Leeds and Rotherham at home being the exceptions really. But there was always a hope, because he had obvious attributes and potential. He is lightning fast, he has proven in the past that he is a very good finisher, therefore he was persisted with, starting most weeks. Then you move on to Nuttall. I have doubts that he will become a Championship striker, but he has impressed me becoming 2nd choice after seemingly being destined to go out on loan, and he also has something to him. He has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions, and a habit of being ready for tap ins and in the case of Oxford and Millwall away, being in the right place for the ball to rebound off him and go in. Is that a fluke? Perhaps somewhat, but he knows where to be to get goals. Then theres Travis, he has played very few games, but his attributes were obvious instantly, composed on the ball, energetic and tenacious.

All I ask is, what is Brereton good at, what are his raw attributes that can be moulded into a 7m striker at any point during his Rovers career, or even a competent one?

Theres also some desperation in trying to make it seem like people expect too much, too soon. Danny Graham has been our best player this season for me, all (well all but one) appreciate how good hes been, therefore Brereton could only realistically be expected to be pushing Graham as much as he can, desperately trying (when he comes on he doesnt scream of a young lad desperate to impress, ducking out of headers and "pressing" half arsed) to impress, impacting when he can, being first in line when Graham is injured or tired. Modest expectations for a 7m striker with over 50 appearances in the Championship, dont you think? His lack of game time is somewhat self inflicted too, he has shown nothing when he has been on the pitch and thus fallen further down the pecking order.

Theres seemingly also a need to make the 7m price tag seem like a burden but in some ways I think its beneficial, without it, would anyone be suggesting that he has potential with time?! And would he make every matchday squad on merit without the circumstances surrounding his arrival?

Also @Biz youve again pleaded for the enormous price tag to be ignored but that isnt realistic and it isnt balanced. The signing of Dack from Gillingham for a 6 figure amount is universally seen as a masterstroke. Mowbray has also received plenty of praise for picking up Rodwell off the scrapheap on a free following the recent run of form. You cant praise Mowbray for excellent, shrewd signings and not judge the most expensive signing based on his cost, it doesnt work like that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I can see it now, we get beat off Brentford and all hell breaks loose on here Saturday night saying we have shown no ambition etc , written in the stars 

When you have money to spend during the window but decide not to because you believe you have the right squad / set-up then you need that squad to deliver, otherwise brings pressure. It’ll be even worse if we lose Graham or another defender to injury for any length of time. All of a sudden we are back to looking make shift. If we had no money, if we hadn’t spent big on one player, then it would be a completely different proposition.

It always bemuses me that there are those who question the manager and then those who question the motives of fans who question the manager. Just stick with making good arguments about what Mowbray is doing well and it makes for better discussion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Why ? He had been in Leeds all day to sign. Medical passed. Licking his lips at the thought of sipping a nice Chateux nuef du pap and ends up with Vimto. 

Dissing Vimto? invented by a Blackburn chap. Sacrilege on a Rovers forum, burn him

• Like 4

2 hours ago, philipl said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/sports/premier-league-transfer-window.html

Some of the most insightful writing is now in the New York Times "on Soccer".

Basically argues technology and technical staff have taken punting out of transfer signings so now only players profiling to meet needs exactly get signed.

Meaning less transfer activity in the Premier League. Money is there but now it is harnessed to scientific assessment so doesn't get thrown around the same way.

At which point I am adding this means

- Less windfall selling in the Championship  

- Less transfer money to merry go round in the Championship

- and quiet windows for everybody because if you sell you cannot be certain of winkling out your targeted replacement from his current club.

But then possibly driving the prices of the few who fit good profiles even higher because there won't be many but many will covet them ?

Can't win either way.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

But then possibly driving the prices of the few who fit good profiles even higher because there won't be many but many will covet them ?

Can't win either way.

The issue is volume- sure there is money so silly prices can be forced for the few going to the Prem.

But the deal flow is strangled.

Championship to Premier League deals amounted to just 4 this window:

Mepham, Crouch, Bacuna, Sako

Two of which are Prem League players returning to the Prem from recently relegated clubs. 

5 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I would also back Chapman to have more of an impact during the run in than I would Brereton.

But you only think that because you hate Brereton? So essentially you change your views to suit your argument. You are a fickle little scamp. 

No-one hates Brereton,that's a silly comment.

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

The issue is volume- sure there is money so silly prices can be forced for the few going to the Prem.

But the deal flow is strangled.

Championship to Premier League deals amounted to just 4 this window:

Mepham, Crouch, Bacuna, Sako

Two of which are Prem League players returning to the Prem from recently relegated clubs. 

I expect the loan with for a fee and loan to buy market will gather pace in the next season or two as the agents look for a new revenue stream mid season after the panic buy/sell market has dried up.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Most of the defence regarding the Brereton deal, predominantly from @Biz and @S8 & Blue is based on buzzwords such as "time" "patience" and "faith" which is fair enough to a certain degree but what have you actually seen in the way of tangible attributes from an admittedly small sample in terms of game time, or had you seen in his time previous to joining, to suggest that with time and patience, that he will/could/might prove to be a positive signing, and justify some of the quotes I have taken from the last few pages:

Youve all mentioned other players but there was never any doubt that there was something in their armoury to suggest there was something there, some potential, however raw, to build on. Take Armstrong, pre-2018 in the main his form was poor I would argue, he hadnt contributed enough goals or assists, he was poor much more often than he was good, Leeds and Rotherham at home being the exceptions really. But there was always a hope, because he had obvious attributes and potential. He is lightning fast, he has proven in the past that he is a very good finisher, therefore he was persisted with, starting most weeks. Then you move on to Nuttall. I have doubts that he will become a Championship striker, but he has impressed me becoming 2nd choice after seemingly being destined to go out on loan, and he also has something to him. He has a knack of getting into goalscoring positions, and a habit of being ready for tap ins and in the case of Oxford and Millwall away, being in the right place for the ball to rebound off him and go in. Is that a fluke? Perhaps somewhat, but he knows where to be to get goals. Then theres Travis, he has played very few games, but his attributes were obvious instantly, composed on the ball, energetic and tenacious.

All I ask is, what is Brereton good at, what are his raw attributes that can be moulded into a 7m striker at any point during his Rovers career, or even a competent one?

Theres also some desperation in trying to make it seem like people expect too much, too soon. Danny Graham has been our best player this season for me, all (well all but one) appreciate how good hes been, therefore Brereton could only realistically be expected to be pushing Graham as much as he can, desperately trying (when he comes on he doesnt scream of a young lad desperate to impress, ducking out of headers and "pressing" half arsed) to impress, impacting when he can, being first in line when Graham is injured or tired. Modest expectations for a 7m striker with over 50 appearances in the Championship, dont you think? His lack of game time is somewhat self inflicted too, he has shown nothing when he has been on the pitch and thus fallen further down the pecking order.

Theres seemingly also a need to make the 7m price tag seem like a burden but in some ways I think its beneficial, without it, would anyone be suggesting that he has potential with time?! And would he make every matchday squad on merit without the circumstances surrounding his arrival?

Also @Biz youve again pleaded for the enormous price tag to be ignored but that isnt realistic and it isnt balanced. The signing of Dack from Gillingham for a 6 figure amount is universally seen as a masterstroke. Mowbray has also received plenty of praise for picking up Rodwell off the scrapheap on a free following the recent run of form. You cant praise Mowbray for excellent, shrewd signings and not judge the most expensive signing based on his cost, it doesnt work like that.

That is such a good post, reasoned, sensible and moderate.  No evidence to support their blind faith, just so want it to be so therefore ignore anything that threatens their view.

Farage and Johnson couldn't do it better.

• Like 3