adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

10 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Gallagher has always been the primary target because it is a player that Mowbray knows and more importantly he fits within the budget that we have left.  Austin and Britt are players that are available and offered to a number of clubs but in terms of cost it would beyond our current budgets unless there is intervention from the owners.  We need to get a striker in before the deadline so it is sensible that the focus is on the one that we can afford.

Austin and Assombalonga would be amazing in different ways but these are complicated deals which will require more money from the owners which in itself is a complicated process and then we would have to beat a number of clubs who are interested.

If financing these deals with the owners hasn't even been discussed at this point then surely we might as well forget about it? We all know Venky-time tends to stretch to months rather than days. I'm assuming the finances were already in place for a big-ish transfer in the summer long before we tried to panic buy Brereton on the last day of the window. It doesn't sound like any such provisions are in place now though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Madon said:

Not heard anything else but from the above article it sounds like Waggott couldn't pull it off... gutted if so! 

I'd still take Gallagher by all means but I still have a bit of hope for Assombalonga coming in.

I think Assombalonga will be a 3rd choice at best with the money that is involved in the deal. Everything brought into the press is for their side. Whether it be agents or club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Funny thing i saw from a Southampton fan...

They're own player Sam Gallagher scored more goals at Birmingham last season than the one they're supposedly signing in Che Adams.

Adams played on the wing when Gallagher under a shocking poor manager. 

Since Monk gone there he has played up front for them and scored goals

Nixon claiming Assombalonga free to go out on loan but nobody as yet willing to match the wages, which Boro want covered in full.

Don't see anyone matching them to be honest. Could be one to watch this summer.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Nixon claiming Assombalonga free to go out on loan but nobody as yet willing to match the wages, which Boro want covered in full.

I suppose it's possible Boro will drop their demands once the window starts ticking towards the end and there's still no interest from anybody in covering those wages in full, but at that point you have to imagine there would be a ton of clubs suddenly putting in offers. 

Wages will be the stumbling block with the Boro lad, Austin probably too. We're not at that wage level as a club at the moment.

Gallagher it is then, hopefully

Just now, DE. said:

If financing these deals with the owners hasn't even been discussed at this point then surely we might as well forget about it? We all know Venky-time tends to stretch to months rather than days. I'm assuming the finances were already in place for a big-ish transfer in the summer long before we tried to panic buy Brereton on the last day of the window. It doesn't sound like any such provisions are in place now though. 

I am sure that the owners have been made aware that these players are available but the big question is how desperate is Mowbray to sign them given the levels of finance involved and him being big on thoroughly looking at a players background to try and ensure as much as possible that he will fit into the culture within the squad that he has built.

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available but I am not convinced that he is desperate to sign them and has continued to focus on getting Gallagher.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available

Impressive if he has that level of support from them, especially considering how poor the Brereton transfer has been for us thus far. 

Definitely feels like it'll end up being Gallagher, probably loan-to-buy. Not sure that'll be a massive upgrade on what we already have - and he strikes me as another 'nice lad' who just gets along with everybody. Still, Tony's earned the right at this point to choose who he wants to buy without being questioned over it. Can't really argue with our league position no matter how people feel about performances, tactics, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that the owners have been made aware that these players are available but the big question is how desperate is Mowbray to sign them given the levels of finance involved and him being big on thoroughly looking at a players background to try and ensure as much as possible that he will fit into the culture within the squad that he has built.

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available but I am not convinced that he is desperate to sign them and has continued to focus on getting Gallagher.

This all sounds very similar to August transfer window, get ready for an expensive panic buy tomorrow.

Just now, DE. said:

Impressive if he has that level of support from them, especially considering how poor the Brereton transfer has been for us thus far. 

Ha ha he has credit in the bank by turning the Dack investing of £700,000 into a possible £20 million plus return!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Adams played on the wing when Gallagher under a shocking poor manager. 

Since Monk gone there he has played up front for them and scored goals

Gallagher played under 3 different managers at Birmingham last season - Redknapp, Cotterill, Monk

Just now, Kamy100 said:

Ha ha he has credit in the bank by turning the Dack investing of £700,000 into a possible £20 million plus return!!

Indeed. Probably the best piece of transfer business in terms of both performances and value since they arrived. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon tweeted that the interest in Austin is real, but loan to buy for Gallagher is the preferred option. Said we would pay half of Austin's wages. 

He's on £55k there, so we are willing to pay £22.5K then. Usually the loan salaries are paid up to end of June, which is officially end of the season (I think), so would be an outlay of £360,000.

Edited by AAK

Tread carefully with Austin. Won't be cheap, doubt he's a long term solution for us, very dodgy injury record and he's a dingle.

Players have to be exceptional to overcome the dingle hurdle in my book, not sure if he's worth it.

1 minute ago, AAK said:

He's on £55k there, so we are willing to pay £22.5K then. Usually the loan salaries are paid up to end of June, which is officially end of the season (I think), so would be an outlay of £360,000.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Dope, yes my bad. So a total outlay of £440k, nearly half a million for 4 months for an injury prone player, maybe not the best bit of business.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Tread carefully with Austin. Won't be cheap, doubt he's a long term solution for us, very dodgy injury record and he's a dingle.

Players have to be exceptional to overcome the dingle hurdle in my book, not sure if he's worth it.

31 in 54 at Swindon.

41 in 82 at Burnley.

45 in 82 at QPR, including in the prem.

16 in 59 at Southampton.

29 years old. 

But lets not sign him cos he's a 'dingle' despite being from the South East. Christ almighty.

• Haha 1

Austin is a risk with his injury record, but he goal scoring record at this level is on par with pretty much anyone. He was a dingle through and through though. Whittingham got off lightly cos he never went full Dingle. Never go full Dingle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

31 in 54 at Swindon.

41 in 82 at Burnley.

45 in 82 at QPR, including in the prem.

16 in 59 at Southampton.

29 years old. 

But lets not sign him cos he's a 'dingle' despite being from the South East. Christ almighty.

He is a dingle. Doesn't matter if he's from the South East or Zanzibar if he's played for them he's a dingle and that should be a factor when considering whether to sign him, IMO. Perhaps not a deal breaker but as I said I'd tread carefully considering his age and injury record, his dingle past is just another problem. He'd be here for a few months and then off elsewhere leaving us picking up again where we are now. Option/agreement to buy very important as far as I am concerned, if nothing else to maintain the image that we're actually building something here and not just making it up as we go along depending on who comes available and the whim of those upstairs.

Gallagher would be a good signing in my book, as the heir apparent to Danny Graham. A striker of CA or BA calibre would be a huge bonus, but I’d rather secure Gallagher if I’m honest.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

He is a dingle. Doesn't matter if he's from the South East or Zanzibar if he's played for them he's a dingle and that should be a factor when considering whether to sign him, IMO. Perhaps not a deal breaker but as I said I'd tread carefully considering his age and injury record, his dingle past is just another problem. He'd be here for a few months and then off elsewhere leaving us picking up again where we are now. Option/agreement to buy very important as far as I am concerned, if nothing else to maintain the image that we're actually building something here and not just making it up as we go along depending on who comes available and the whim of those upstairs.

This window shouldn't be about building for the future in my opinion.

Lets go out and get the firepower needed to get us into the playoffs and re-address in summer. I don't mind treating this specific window with a short term vision with the potential rewards being as great as they are.

But at the same time i wouldn't be disappointed signing Gallagher on a loan to buy at all. So it's a weird one. If we don't commit one way or the other soon we could end up with nobody.

Edited by Mellor Rover
  • Like 4