BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

Hyperbolic criticisms and unnecessary and unrelated swipes from my perspective;

1. Ambition to target top half “and beyond that” is worthy of a sarcastic palpable and Heart comment

I’d assume that was a realistic ambition of most fans. 

2. He said no major overhaul but right men to improve “fine lines”. Thats exactly what we need.

3. That was LT mention of Dack, no reference, no talk of sales, nothing from TM

4. The veil slips..

5. Firstly, it’s been said that those who got us up will get their chances, Secondly; I’m not sure the opportunity to bring in potential in a position we are short of can be described as a “syndicate” signing. It’s highly paranoid imo, especially when main director at Ewood said they could flex between wages and fees.

6. You know as well as I do, anything to celebrate and people will give up their regular seat and cheap pint at the Crown ground once more. How you managed to stuff this bitterness into a response to a short interview on transfers is beyond me. You know, higher revenue, higher spend... right?

Or if you prefer in future I can simply respond with the laughter emoji?

Don't bite! 

There will be additions but I wouldnt expect anything major. Loans, a cheap move for Chapman and the Charlton CB on a free might be it. 

TBH, its departures I'm more worried about.

Edited by JacknOry

Hudson odoi has been Made available for loan by Chelsea. We should be all over this. Great player. Although the way Palmer has been utilised might scupper any potential chance we had.

He will go somewhere and be a star in January. Watch this space

Edited by Oldgregg86

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Hudson odoi has bee. Made available for loan by Chelsea. We should be all over this. Great player. Although the way Palmer has been utilised might scupper any potential chance we had.

He will go somewhere and be a star in January. Watch this space

Attracting interest from German and Spanish top clubs since his refusal to sign a new contract at Chelsea. I do admire that he wants to play and not become another Chelsea loanee for the next 5-years.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gladwin is back training in 6 weeks. Video on twitter. He has been hard at it in the gym. The guy is a tank. Hopefully he can contribute this season. 

Sadly he's loped about the pitch at Rovers looking like a tank out of gas since he's been here so hopefully they've been sorting his head as well as whatever else. This team could sure use some muscle and height in it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Biz said:

Hyperbolic criticisms and unnecessary and unrelated swipes from my perspective;

1. Ambition to target top half “and beyond that” is worthy of a sarcastic palpable and Heart comment

I’d assume that was a realistic ambition of most fans. 

2. He said no major overhaul but right men to improve “fine lines”. Thats exactly what we need.

3. That was LT mention of Dack, no reference, no talk of sales, nothing from TM

4. The veil slips..

5. Firstly, it’s been said that those who got us up will get their chances, Secondly; I’m not sure the opportunity to bring in potential in a position we are short of can be described as a “syndicate” signing. It’s highly paranoid imo, especially when main director at Ewood said they could flex between wages and fees.

6. You know as well as I do, anything to celebrate and people will give up their regular seat and cheap pint at the Crown ground once more. How you managed to stuff this bitterness into a response to a short interview on transfers is beyond me. You know, higher revenue, higher spend... right?

Or if you prefer in future I can simply respond with the laughter emoji?

I’d prefer you to debate the topic rather than aim swipes at me. But I have to confess, I usually read the first few sentences of your posts and then skim read or ignore the rest when it becomes apparent it’s just a dig at me. There’s just no point in getting het up at your posts any more because they are just so predictable.

No mention of Dack? Third paragraph in the LT link.

“Higher revenue higher spend” - this is in a normal business. At Rovers nothing is “normal business”. If it was we’d have already folded. Do you really think that any of our gate receipts go towards our transfer spend? The strategy behind our ticket pricing absolutely has to be about getting bums on seats because thanks to Venkys this is the only meaningful contribution that our fans can make towards Rovers success.

I stand by my post. If you really do have to use the emoji to laugh AT people than with them then that really says more about you than the posts.

“I don’t think it’s the time to go and bring seven or eight new players in.

“I think it’s a time to add players bit by bit and if you do need to drastically change things then the summer is the best time to do that so you can bed your players in as best you can through pre-season.”

Sounds to me the manager is just reflecting what is common knowledge about the January window: there isn’t the quality available to make major changes a sensible proposition.

Thinking back, I’m struggling to remember transformative mid-season signings beyond John MacNamee. Bentley? Did we sign him in Jan? Berkovic? Even signing Steve Archibald from Barcelona didn’t make much difference, other than to our excitement levels - that Villa game!!

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Graham got 13 the same season which kind of puts it into perspective - I too thought Gallagher looked decent with us. Is he the like for like that we need for DG though? Not so sure but we need somebody else at least as our 7 million man is not getting much of a look in. 

A lot of Grahams 13 that season were penalties if i'm remembering penalties correctly?

3 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Chapman in for a small fee and immediately loaned out, and Sam Gallagher on loan is what I heard earlier this week. 

Signing Chapman then immediately loaning him out again would be absolute madness and completely pointless. 

Signing him and then immediately putting him in the team, now that would be a major step forward, bearing in mind we are desperately short of pace and width.

Gallagher - meh. Ordinary at best.

• Like 2

Chapman all they ae doing is being generous and handing him a lifeline to go out and prove his fitness with someone else.

Only worth the gamble if you get him for nothing on a very cheap contract to begin with otherwise it's just chucking the type of money away on a player no one else ever would, we've been thee before....

No more crocks !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gladwin is back training in 6 weeks. Video on twitter. He has been hard at it in the gym. The guy is a tank. Hopefully he can contribute this season. 

Absence maybe doesnt make the heart grow fonder, but seemingly youve forgotten how awful he was in the games he played last year, thats before the setback of being out injured for more than a season, very much justifying the ridicule from QPR fans upon arrival.

I suspect that Gladwin will never play for us again and I am very happy with that. Hes not good enough, and he never will be good enough. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He scored 12 goals for us. A mix of different goals. I thought he looked good. I will leave it at that as the conversation will just go around in circles. 

17 in 76 goals in the Championship in the last 2 years isnt the best. All being said, I hope our scouting isnt limited to former players. I dont think a striker should be priority number 1 anyway to be honest.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

He had me at “Mowbray wants to improve on ‘okay’ results in the second half of the season as Rovers reach the halfway point with tomorrow’s home game with Norwich City.”

The ambition is palpable.

“The plan for this window is to try and see whether we can help the team on the pitch and improve the results from being okay to pretty good,” Mowbray said.

Be still my beating heart!

In summary:

- January not a time to buy (we aren’t thinking about the play-offs)

- Name check for ✌?unwelcome✌? West Ham Dack offer (let’s talk up the price)

- extra quality might make us better

- season target at halfway stage is 12th (wooo)

- Onlu Reed has been a Mowbray signing of any use (slight LT dig at Mowbray)

- “My thought pattern was always to give everyone an opportunity to see how they could cope with life in the Championship” (this guy should be coaching Under-11s)

Thoughts on reading that...

If I’m Dack or his agent, this club does not match my ambitions. Mowbray has put all of his faith in Dack being loyal due to the court case. Some vague comments about our business in the Summer may mean he has asked Dack to stick it out until then (in a team going nowhere).

We appears to make playing “make do and mend” with an inferior squad to stretch our budget further. If that’s the case, why the hell are we spending big bucks on Brereton? (A Balaji/syndicate signing?)

With prices being what they are, and having a manager with no ambition and/or no money for new players (and TM is putting on a brave face) we aren’t going to see an upturn in ST sales or attendance. No wonder the club is going down the guilt trip route - as though lapsed fans owe the club. On the contrary, this club owes the faithful fans something - other than a price increase. The best ticket offer for Rovers fans this season has been made by Newcastle!

This window is going to be all about Dack. With him staying being “like a new signing”.

Tend to agree Stuart, and probably shows why TM isn't the man to take us forward in the long term. What's all this rubbish about trying to "finish near the top end of the table"? That is so vague it could cover anything from doing well down to aspiring to finish somewhere near 12th.

A manager with real ambition would be knocking the owners door down right now demanding the signings that would give us a chance of sneaking into the play offs given whilst we still have a mathematical chance of same and try and ensure against plummeting down the table in the second half of the season which we could well do if we continue our recent run of  form of five points from the last five games.

There's no guarantees in anything of course. But you have to try. This might be the closest we get to the playoffs for quite a long time. That said TM hasn't helped his cause by agreeing to spend £7m on a player he won't start.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Chapman all they ae doing is being generous and handing him a lifeline to go out and prove his fitness with someone else.

Only worth the gamble if you get him for nothing on a very cheap contract to begin with otherwise it's just chucking the type of money away on a player no one else ever would, we've been thee before....

No more crocks !

If we're giving him a contract he can prove his fitness with us. Anything else is completely pointless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we're giving him a contract he can prove his fitness with us. Anything else is completely pointless.

I agree, used instead of Brereton the same way he's been used this season would build his fitness and confidence and imo would offer a darn sight more to the team.

Won't happen though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

A manager with real ambition would be knocking the owners door down right now demanding the signings that would give us a chance of sneaking into the play offs given whilst we still have a mathematical chance of same and try and ensure against plummeting down the table in the second half of the season which we could well do if we continue our recent run of  form of five points from the last five games.

There's no guarantees in anything of course. But you have to try. This might be the closest we get to the playoffs for quite a long time. That said TM hasn't helped his cause by agreeing to spend £7m on a player he won't start.

Exactly Rev. One day we hear tha we need to get to the PL as soon as possible the next we hear how 12th is a good season.

When the league is tight a few points here and there can make a difference. Are we throwing money at it (illustrated by BB) or are we ticking along. Building a team capable of competing for promotion, vs being in a position where a couple of astute signings could be the difference between 12th and 6th? There is no benefit to a slow build approach while Venkys are still propping us up with £15m added to our debt each season. It is just going to take longer to be rid of them.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’d prefer you to debate the topic rather than aim swipes at me.

I did debate your content, another (from my perspective) set of reactive over the top criticisms and paranoia.

If you’ve no reply, no worries.

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

I did debate your content, another (from my perspective) set of reactive over the top criticisms and paranoia.

If you’ve no reply, no worries.

No, you challenged my motives. Not really the same.

If you don’t understand that, no worries.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

There is no benefit to a slow build approach while Venkys are still propping us up with £15m added to our debt each season. It is just going to take longer to be rid of them.

TM benefits from lowering expectations and telling them it takes us 6 seasons to challenge... slowly slowly.

Nothing like a bit of job security.

Alternative is yes ok I will spend 25 mill and get us up this season and get sacked when fails.

I have felt for a while that we may be hindered by TM both on and off the field. Jury is still out.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Franky said:

TM benefits from lowering expectations and telling them it takes us 6 seasons to challenge... slowly slowly.

Nothing like a bit of job security.

Alternative is yes ok I will spend 25 mill and get us up this season and get sacked when fails.

I have felt for a while that we may be hindered by TM both on and off the field. Jury is still out.

Nonsense. If he got us promoted to the premier league his wages and reputation would go up so much his earning power would increase well beyokg what it is plodding along in the championship. He is squeezing some money out of venkys, are you telling me if they offered him more to spend he wouldnt take it? 

5 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Thinking back, I’m struggling to remember transformative mid-season signings beyond John MacNamee. Bentley? Did we sign him in Jan? Berkovic? Even signing Steve Archibald from Barcelona didn’t make much difference, other than to our excitement levels - that Villa game!!

Conway and Gestede