BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

4 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Got Rovers to win, BTTS, Armstrong anytime scorer at 14/1

Buying money!

Not great odds to be honest. I would have thought it would have been higher. I presume Armstrong will start though, so you have every chance. 

In Paddy Power we are 4/1 just to win. I think BTTS is a great bet. I just did BTTS and a Rovers win. 

I also did a straight double with us and Stanley to win(they are home to Ipswich). Pays 12/1 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not great odds to be honest. I would have thought it would have been higher. I presume Armstrong will start though, so you have every chance. 

In Paddy Power we are 4/1 just to win. I think BTTS is a great bet. I just did BTTS and a Rovers win. 

I also did a straight double with us and Stanley to win(they are home to Ipswich). Pays 12/1 

What is BTTS? I'm not a betting man myself but interested.

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What is BTTS? I'm not a betting man myself but interested.

Both teams to score 

Picking 5 games can give pretty good odds and I find it easier to pick than a straight win. We are a pretty good option for this bet. 

Not a big gambler myself, I put €10-€20 on the football most weeks, but that's it. I have enough other vices. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Both teams to score 

Picking 5 games can give pretty good odds and I find it easier to pick than a straight win. We are a pretty good option for this bet. 

Not a big gambler myself, I put €10-€20 on the football most weeks, but that's it. I have enough other vices. 

Similar. BTTS accumulators keep you interested to the final minute too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/january/ticket-news-newcastle-united-a/

Back to what I read yesterday - no tickets available on the day.

Increased allocation of 3300 with 450 remaining.

Seems odd if Level 7 is closed to home fans as they could easily accommodate any travelling on the day.

Very odd to be honest.

My only thinking to that usually would be could they be putting us somewhere else in the ground that only has a 3000ish capacity as there hasnt been as many home ticket sales as anticipated and they could then leave the whole upper tier empty? 

Only problem with that it would cause chaos to who sits where etc.

Give some of the young players a start here. Lads such as Travis and Brereton should be starting this game. Would play Rothwell and Palmer as well.

Leutwiler 

Bennet Downing Williams Bell

Travis Evans

Palmer Rothwell Armstrong 

Brereton

Don't risk Graham, Mulgrew and Dack. Could push Lenihan into the team but for me I'd rather build in the league.

Are there any academy players that could step up that anyone knows of?

3 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Give some of the young players a start here. Lads such as Travis and Brereton should be starting this game. Would play Rothwell and Palmer as well.

Leutwiler 

Bennet Downing Williams Bell

Travis Evans

Palmer Rothwell Armstrong 

Brereton

Don't risk Graham, Mulgrew and Dack. Could push Lenihan into the team but for me I'd rather build in the league.

Are there any academy players that could step up that anyone knows of?

I'd like to go strong by keeping more or less the same side as last Saturday tomorrow . If we're thinking about the league we don't want to lose momentum from the WBA win ahead of two games that we want to win in Millwall and Ipswich.

Eitherway we won't be going up or down this season so a decent cup run would be ideal & we have 3000 Rovers travelling who want to see a win.

• Like 2

Some tricky decisions for TM here. We're looking nailed on for mid-table, so I'd like us to really go full strength for a cup run, but at the same time a lot of our big hitters have played a lot of a football and some players out of the team probably warrant more minutes.

I'd go:

Raya

Bennett  Lenihan  Williams Bell

Travis Evans

Rothwell Palmer Armstrong

Brereton

But wouldn't especially mind if Downing or Conway got starts either. Is there a chance that we could see Davenport on the bench for this one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Some tricky decisions for TM here. We're looking nailed on for mid-table, so I'd like us to really go full strength for a cup run, but at the same time a lot of our big hitters have played a lot of a football and some players out of the team probably warrant more minutes.

I'd go:

Raya

Bennett  Lenihan  Williams Bell

Travis Evans

Rothwell Palmer Armstrong

Brereton

But wouldn't especially mind if Downing or Conway got starts either. Is there a chance that we could see Davenport on the bench for this one?

Is Reed cuptied

Woken up and feeling stupidly optimistic about this one. Having said that, we will probably see a Premier League/Championship gulf and Rovers lose 5-0, four of the goals in the last 20 minutes...  

Dingles and Southampton picking up away points put Newcastle right back in relegation trouble so might have an effect on Benitez's selection. Do they have any youngsters of talent itching to show they should be first choices?- if so beware.

On the basis I'd like to see younger players measured against Premier League opposition, I will break my embargo and pick the team:

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell (assuming all are fit and don't have a day flu)

Evans Reed Travis Rothwell Dack (Evans holding, Dack pushing on)

Brereton

In old days I would have been anticipating this one from the moment of the draw. Now it is an interruption to the main business but have a cup tie tingle this morning. Be safe everyone who is going. 

Looking forward to the whole day/night immensely. 

They've only won 1 in the last 8 and even that was against Huddersfield who I think we'd probably roll over too. 

I just hope he doesn't arse about with the team too much, long way to go this time of the year to watch a reserve line up and there's no need for it, they've got a full week to recover after. 

• Like 1

Morning all, 

Geordie in peace here. Newcastle are a shadow of their former selves, we're a Championship team in the top flight and are getting financially outmuscled by heavyweights like Bournemouth and Huddersfield. Benitez is doing his best with what he's got, but a decade of terrible decisions in the boardroom has left him with a squad thin on quality. 

We've been playing a defensive 4-4-1-1 or 5-4-1. Dubravka is a quality goalkeeper for our level and has kept us in games we really should have lost heavily. We're good at the back with Lascelles, Schar, Fernandez and Clark all decent centre halves, Yedlin can really make a difference down the right flank if he's fit and full of running. Rondon up top will work his bollocks off but is often starved of any real service.

It's the creative side of things that's lacking. Shelvey has unbelievable passing range, but is an idiot with a short fuse. Diame is old, slow and a bit shit quite frankly, offers very little going forward. Hayden is very limited defensive midfielder who's prone to a rash challenge and offers nothing in the final 3rd. Ki is off to the Asian cup which is a shame because he's been decent. I wouldn't be surprised to see the young lad Longstaff given a go in the middle, positive and full of youthful confidence that hasn't yet been ground out of him by Ashley's reign. Perez, Kenedy, Atsu, Murphy and Ritchie are all decent in their own way, but none of them are playing well.

For this game I'd expect Benitez to ring the changes with one eye on our relegation concerns. Fringe players like Atsu, Clark, Longstaff, Manquillo, Murphy, Muto, to be given a chance to impress. I'd probably predict a low scoring game, low on chances, low on quality, low on entertainment. From our end anyway.

Off the pitch the club is, yet again, in turmoil. Ashley saying he wants to sell but making no progress and refusing to invest, Benitez stating (correctly) that the club needs investment or it'll need a miracle to survive, the club destroying £4,500 worth of banners and flags that the fans raised money for, players saying they want to move closer to the family (Hayden), fan groups arguing amongst themselves. Pretty hard to be excited about a cup game at the minute, so I'd not expect a big crowd, and certainly not a vocal one should the game pan out as dry as expected.

For the lads travelling to Newcastle, there's a stack of great pubs, bars, and whatnot. Away fans usually congregate in the Union Rooms and the Mile Castle before the game. They're big, cheap, near to the Central Station and about a 10-15 minute walk from St James'. Anyone wanting a quieter pint of better quality try the Forth Hotel, The Town Wall, Tilley's. If you're interested in football history and memorabilia pop into the BackPage store on St Andrews st.

Grab yourself some Gregg's sausage rolls on the way into the ground, have your fill of beer before you go into the ground, give nowt to that fat, southern, shitehawk. 

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Morning all, 

Geordie in peace here. Newcastle are a shadow of their former selves, we're a Championship team in the top flight and are getting financially outmuscled by heavyweights like Bournemouth and Huddersfield. Benitez is doing his best with what he's got, but a decade of terrible decisions in the boardroom has left him with a squad thin on quality. 

We've been playing a defensive 4-4-1-1 or 5-4-1. Dubravka is a quality goalkeeper for our level and has kept us in games we really should have lost heavily. We're good at the back with Lascelles, Schar, Fernandez and Clark all decent centre halves, Yedlin can really make a difference down the right flank if he's fit and full of running. Rondon up top will work his bollocks off but is often starved of any real service.

It's the creative side of things that's lacking. Shelvey has unbelievable passing range, but is an idiot with a short fuse. Diame is old, slow and a bit shit quite frankly, offers very little going forward. Hayden is very limited defensive midfielder who's prone to a rash challenge and offers nothing in the final 3rd. Ki is off to the Asian cup which is a shame because he's been decent. I wouldn't be surprised to see the young lad Longstaff given a go in the middle, positive and full of youthful confidence that hasn't yet been ground out of him by Ashley's reign. Perez, Kenedy, Atsu, Murphy and Ritchie are all decent in their own way, but none of them are playing well.

For this game I'd expect Benitez to ring the changes with one eye on our relegation concerns. Fringe players like Atsu, Clark, Longstaff, Manquillo, Murphy, Muto, to be given a chance to impress. I'd probably predict a low scoring game, low on chances, low on quality, low on entertainment. From our end anyway.

Off the pitch the club is, yet again, in turmoil. Ashley saying he wants to sell but making no progress and refusing to invest, Benitez stating (correctly) that the club needs investment or it'll need a miracle to survive, the club destroying £4,500 worth of banners and flags that the fans raised money for, players saying they want to move closer to the family (Hayden), fan groups arguing amongst themselves. Pretty hard to be excited about a cup game at the minute, so I'd not expect a big crowd, and certainly not a vocal one should the game pan out as dry as expected.

For the lads travelling to Newcastle, there's a stack of great pubs, bars, and whatnot. Away fans usually congregate in the Union Rooms and the Mile Castle before the game. They're big, cheap, near to the Central Station and about a 10-15 minute walk from St James'. Anyone wanting a quieter pint of better quality try the Forth Hotel, The Town Wall, Tilley's. If you're interested in football history and memorabilia pop into the BackPage store on St Andrews st.

Grab yourself some Gregg's sausage rolls on the way into the ground, have your fill of beer before you go into the ground, give nowt to that fat, southern, shitehawk. 

Don't get us started on owners.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Morning all, 

There's no doubt Cashley is another clueless fat self serving business man tosser in football for altogether different reasons but I think our tales of the Venky ownership trump anything he's done so you might find sympathy a bit short on here.

Shame Newcastle can't provide the backing whilst they've got a big name gaffer there like Benitez he could well have had them punching above their weight.