BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Bristol City

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray told you in the summer how he would manage this season and I would say Armstrong, Reed and Rodwell have prove their worth. Brereton was a project signing. Palmer waste of time. Rothwell not had enough time on pitch. Davenport been injured so far but think he will be good. Chapman is someone he always wanted. 

well we have to disagree then wont we. Bennett was our best player out there today

Mowbray also said he was happy with his squad in January.  Does that indicate he wants to bring in the 4-5 you feel we need?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

It depends whether or not we intend to just stay in the British market to recruit players. If so then the odds of picking up bargains like Bowyer did only 4 to 5 seasons ago get slimmer and slimmer by the year.

So we can improve without doing a Redknapp or spending 'substantial transfer fees'? 

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So we can improve without doing a Redknapp or spending 'substantial transfer fees'? 

Indeed, but only if there is a radical change in transfer policy at the club regarding foreign recruitment. Mowbray indicated that we don’t do any scouting abroad so it seems unlikely that this will be in place for the summer window. That inevitably means paying over the odds for established domestic talent, or going for more “project signings” that some in here like to turn their noses up at as it shows “a lack of ambition”.

Edited by JeffRover

Think it was mentioned earlier, but I thought Raya was very poor for their goal. Any decent keeper would have been going for that. Or one of the centre halves. Or the full back on the front post. Nyambe was poor to get on the wrong side, but the ball shouldn't even have gotten that fair. Pathetic defending all round to be honest. 

26 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

This new phrase that is cropping up - “project signings” is a big worry for me...

We have a top academy that should be about building players for the first team squad. 

IF  there is any desire for us to get back into the Premier League in the foreseeable future, I don’t see how these so called project signings fit in. Are any of them going to be able to cut it in the top flight?

Our efforts at the moment should be concentrated on Promotion, and signing players who can help us get there... and before anyone chirps up and tells me it’s unrealistic to expect that this season, I don’t expect it, I’m not saying this season. But I am saying ASAP. Also, let’s not forget it looked distinctly within reach a fortnight ago.

I called Brereton a project signing cos Mowbray wanted to change the type of striker he is into a Graham type like Big Sam did with Kalinic. Yes maybe Mowbray has been over cautious with playing him and the form of Graham hasn't help him game time. 

Yes I agree we need bring players through the academy. Look forward to seeing how Grayson performs at Grimsby and how Annesley develops for rest of the season. 

Yes I agree we should be targeting promotion next season or season after. I want to be back into the PL and watching us on Match of the Day 

20 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Frustrating to lose but it was a tight game and always looked like one goal would win it.  We had chances but didn't make the most of them.  Bristol took a late opportunity that came their way.  Travis and Reed struggled, which happens with young players from time to time.  Dack was ineffective, possibly still carrying a knock.

Overall, we are in a decent position considering it's our first season back - Rotherham and Wigan have found the transition far more difficult.  I'm more than happy with consolidation this season and then add some quality in the summer.

Personally, I think we are fortunate to have Mowbray as manager at this point in time as he slowly rebuilds the foundations of the club.  The Academy and Under-23's are now progressing again and these are the building blocks on which future success can be built - together with one or two astute signings.

At the end of the day, despite the result today, this season will see us finish higher than last season so progress has been made.

totally agree 100%

13 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

The difficulty we’ve got at the minute is that to improve the first 11 than a lot of money needs to be spent. Not only in fees (which Venky’s seem willing to pay lately) but also in wages. That is the big issue. It appears that a very rigid wage structure has been implemented across the playing staff in order to get the wages/turnover ratio to a more sustainable level. This means that a lot of the domestic recruitment tends to be limited to these “project signings” as they will fall in line with the wage structure we have. This means that as a matter of urgency we need to be hammering the European market to try and find those hidden gems. Scouting in the Uk only is no longer good enough if you want to operate on a budget.

We don't pay massive wages and we don't want to be over spending. 

Yes look for hidden gems. Most likely French and Belgium markets could be place for them like Brentford found Benrahma from a second division club in France. He was very good last week

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If the bottom paragraph is your way of judging whether this season has been a success, even finishing bottom with zero points would be deemed progress. 

I dont really recall much in the way of chances to be honest. Was a very limp display.

suggest you watch the game back. I have posted some chances and instances where a better pass would have lent to a goal/goal scoring opportunity 

I also told you before about it seem at times we were afraid to shoot and over pass at time. 

11 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Mowbray also said he was happy with his squad in January.  Does that indicate he wants to bring in the 4-5 you feel we need?

It going off his comments in January and since comments about recruitment and looking overseas now for gems 

• Like 1

Just now, JeffRover said:

Indeed, but only if there is a radical change in transfer policy at the club regarding foreign recruitment. Mowbray indicated that we don’t do any scouting abroad so it seems unlikely that this will be in place for the summer window. That inevitably means paying over the odds for established domestic talent, or going for more “project signings” that some in here like to turn their noses up at as it shows “a lack of ambition”.

So when you asked me if I 'understood' that we'd need to pay substantial transfer fees to improve you actually meant something else. I don't agree either way. Players out of contract or quality players from lower divisions can improve us. Ironically doing a Redknapp and spending A fortune on BB didn't improve us one bit. Our domestic and foreign recruitment needs to be a lot better. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

So when you asked me if I 'understood' that we'd need to pay substantial transfer fees to improve you actually meant something else. I don't agree either way. Players out of contract or quality players from lower divisions can improve us. Ironically doing a Redknapp and spending A fortune on BB didn't improve us one bit. Our domestic and foreign recruitment needs to be a lot better. 

I think we’re arguing over something we agree on. The recruitment needs to be a lot better going forward (in terms of quality and value for money) if we have any aspirations of progressing as a club.

How unfit must Chapman be? Does he look like some tubby little barrell now who looks like hes wearing a fat suit.

Surely with 2 or 3 weeks fitness training you can get a player ready for bench cameos. I keep reading he's a couple of months away. You could probably get me fit in 8 weeks!!!

As for the Dack substitution, he'd just shown his first bit of magic to carve out his chance at the near post. I didn't think he was looking that tired. To take him off was one thing. To then move two players out of position, and switch a third to the opposite wing was ludicrous when you could have done a straight swap. It undoubtedly broke the momentum we had at that point.

Palmer got on the ball and just helped them keep possession better. I thought he did well for them from that perspective. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The goal we conceded was pitiful and once again our keeper was at fault. How a ball can travel at that height with no great pace along our six yard box with Raya rooted to his line is incomprehensible. Quite simply he needs dropping.

Did exactly the same in the first half from another corner when the guy headed over from about a yard out smack in the middle of the goal.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I called Brereton a project signing cos Mowbray wanted to change the type of striker he is into a Graham type like Big Sam did with Kalinic. Yes maybe Mowbray has been over cautious with playing him and the form of Graham hasn't help him game time. 

Yes I agree we need bring players through the academy. Look forward to seeing how Grayson performs at Grimsby and how Annesley develops for rest of the season. 

Yes I agree we should be targeting promotion next season or season after. I want to be back into the PL and watching us on Match of the Day 

totally agree 100%

We don't pay massive wages and we don't want to be over spending. 

Yes look for hidden gems. Most likely French and Belgium markets could be place for them like Brentford found Benrahma from a second division club in France. He was very good last week

suggest you watch the game back. I have posted some chances and instances where a better pass would have lent to a goal/goal scoring opportunity 

I also told you before about it seem at times we were afraid to shoot and over pass at time. 

It was bad enough watching it once!

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Will have to agree to disagree. Although it wasn’t a booking.

In any case, we should have had the options on the bench to not have to make three changes to accommodate it.

I think he had to be subbed, and that was the right decision by Mowbray. We lose a lot of control in the middle of the park when Travis is out though, and frankly, we were in control of possession when Travis, Smallwood and Dack were all on the pitch and playing in that central area. Taking all 3 off was madness, and towards the end we just resorted to lumping it up field, which didn’t really work out very well.

That for me is my biggest criticism of Mowbray. He confused things by subbing all his central midfielders, and then shuffling the players around into different positions. It’s not the first time he’s done something like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Think it was mentioned earlier, but I thought Raya was very poor for their goal. Any decent keeper would have been going for that. Or one of the centre halves. 

I'm wondering if he's been told to stay on his line a bit more after his cock ups against Birmingham and Brentford when coming out. However he needs to know when to come and when not to.

• Backroom

Chaddy thinks Palmer did nothing of note because he didn’t score or assist but the Bristol fans certainly welcomed his input, he ran the game for a good 5-10 minutes after the goal in a way that Paul Gallagher has done at Ewood before.

Dropped deep and kept picking up the ball and keeping it away from us whilst slowing the pace right down.

Imagine his manager would be delighted with that. 

• Like 3

I’ve been out since after the game and too be fair I came on here expecting a lot worse than I’ve seen. The playoffs are gone so hopefully we can just pick up as many points as possible till the end of the season. If we can finish between 9th-13th then it’s been a good season. This summer is absolutely massive for us, Sheff united have shown with an organised team with a bit of quality you can achieve in this league, I think with the right signings we can do the same next season. Right this season off because we aren’t going down and we aren’t going up... All about next year.

• Like 3