BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder could Magloire step up this season? 

Or am I allowed say that without being accused of making excuses for Mowbray if he doesn't sign a centre half?

A few clips of him on twitter. Quick lad. 

Based on what I saw last season, he still looks pretty raw.

Don't be so paranoid! 

(We do need defenders though!)

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or am I allowed say that without being accused of making excuses for Mowbray if he doesn't sign a centre half?

Don't think he is ready yet. I think he could do with a loan to compete with men, especially in the air. He's had it to easy with the U23 where he can outmuscle and outrun his peers. Joe Garner and Steven Fletcher dominated him quite easily in the games he played for the seniors.

A year on loan learning to play the position and compete, and we probably have a machine on our hands. Quickest player in the squad as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, K-Hod said:

Don't be so paranoid! 

Not being paranoid. It's completely valid apprehension to have. I know from experience. I will let you know when it happens again, just to show I'm not being "paranoid". But early to be smoking anything at this hour of the day! :)

Ya, he did look raw, but I don't think every player must go on loan to league 1 or 2 between making the transition from under 23s to the first team. 

What about Wharton then? He has done the loan thing now. If he ain't ready for the first team, when will he be? 

45 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

If we have limited money and it is spent on Gallagher in preference to GK and defender then there is something wrong.  Everyone knows our priority needs.

Nothing against Gallagher coming in if we can afford all 3 but if we can't then surely he would be the wrong choice.

Yup Id rather survive with Brereton, Armstrong and Nuttall as back ups and have a decent defence, than have Gallagher who will struggle to start regularly and a mess of a defence.

• Like 1

Just now, neophox said:

Wonder if TM plans to play:

Goalie

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe and Bell on the wings

Johnson and Travis in middle

Dack and Rothwell behind Graham

3-5-2

Would be odd as we've signed Chapman and Downing to play wide, plus got Armstrong kicking around.

Just now, neophox said:

Wonder if TM plans to play:

Goalie

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe and Bell on the wings

Johnson and Travis in middle

Dack and Rothwell behind Graham

3-5-2

Bennett will be in there somewhere, plus if he does intend to play three centre backs then we need much more depth there - those three you have at CB are our only senior CBs (and that's counting Williams, traditionally a LB).

It'll be 4-2-3-1 I think.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/tom-white-joins-blackburn-rovers-458010

This article says the fee was 5-figure (not 6 as I thought I read before) so it really might be peanuts. Sell-on clause too.

It also says Gateshead could have an option on loaning our youth players. I assume that would be our lesser lights or very young players, as it's not a particularly great testing ground with the league they operate in.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he does step up, that's great. What wouldn't be great is a strategy based on him stepping up instead of getting an experienced CB. Even if he's looking terrific in training. Surely you see that?

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Don't be so paranoid! 

You beat me to it, possibly because I pondered as to whether  it constituted "bickering"! :)

6 minutes ago, neophox said:

What about Wharton, for me he should leave if not good enough?

A Bury supporting pal of mine was not impressed with Wharton during his loan spell there.

Not a great deal to go on admittedly but I trust his judgement.

We conceded the most away goals in the football league - we need a commanding, no nonsense CB. From what I’ve seen of him Magloire isn’t that man. Really is some dumbing down going on right now. Folk have gone from wanting two centre halves in to saying Magloire could be the answer (certainly on Twitter at least).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Could you enlighten me as to what any of those players have brought to the party since arriving here some time ago? 

I think that Rothwell is one of our standout players, and starts in our best 11.

Surely that counts as something?

• Like 5

As we've seen with Raya countless times and Nyambe and Lenihen young lads in defence learning their trade make mistakes and complete cock ups and it costs. it's to be expected of course. That's why there is clamour for experienced defensive reinforcements and that's why it would be wrong to expect Magloire to just step up and solve the problems. There's a whole two seasons process to go through for these lads and yes we want them in but relying on them as regulars will inevitably cost the team so a loan spell would be best in the long run.

Do we want to just blood youngsters and sell them on whilst sitting in the middle of the division comfortably lining peoples pockets with little pressure or do we want to kick on ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

Just now, RoverKyle said:

The whole Sam Gallagher saga is becoming a bit of a farce now. Sign him up or move on. We're not going to get him on the cheap. 

Totally agree with this if he goes elsewhere the club have only got themselves to blame