BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mowbray having a good working relationship with Rodwell and the way he is playing, Rodwell should be thinking he took a chance on me, I'm enjoying my football and working with Mowbray and the players. Plus the club is on the up 

In an ideal world yes but football has a reputation for disloyalty and greed. I'm not saying Rodwell will jump ship but you can bet your bottom dollar his representatives are putting his name out there. He will want some security in respect of a deal. I think Rovers are being slow off the mark by not yet speaking to him.

• Like 1

Greed is a little unfair. Plus its naive to put so much emphasis on a supposed healthy relationship with a manager/club especially after 6 months.

If a bigger club offers a bigger wage, as in any industry or to any person, the likelihood is that someone will move on.

We have to get him tied down to a longer contract, otherwise we would only have ourselves to blame.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Greed is a little unfair. Plus its naive to put so much emphasis on a supposed healthy relationship with a manager/club especially after 6 months.

If a bigger club offers a bigger wage, as in any industry or to any person, the likelihood is that someone will move on.

We have to get him tied down to a longer contract, otherwise we would only have ourselves to blame.

Mowbray has a good relationship with most of the players. Good man management skills is one of key under Mowbray

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has a good relationship with most of the players. Good man management skills is one of key under Mowbray

I am sure he does, and I agree. But if a bigger club (Prem or Championship with strong chance of promotion) comes in for any of our players, they are more likely to want to leave than stay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am sure he does, and I agree. But if a bigger club (Prem or Championship with strong chance of promotion) comes in for any of our players, they are more likely to want to leave than stay.

Question.is will they play as much or just spend more time on bench. But earn more money. Look at Hugill when he signed for West ham. Now on loan at Boro. 

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Question.is will they play as much or just spend more time on bench. But earn more money. Look at Hugill when he signed for West ham. Now on loan at Boro. 

Hugill didn't make a start for West Ham but has 22 appearances for boro so the way he will look at it is he was only sat on his back side for half a season and has an increase in his weekly earnings for playing at the same level

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That would be the same of most players at most clubs

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

My point was simply not to be naive to the fact that a bigger club offering more money will most likely cause the player to want to explore that option. How that move turns out depends on each case but is irrelevant to the point im making.

As @DeeCee says and something that was my point, lets not be naive, this happens everywhere.

Lets hope we sign Rodwell up this week to a new deal. If he continues to impress and then a bigger club nabs him weve only ourselves to blame. Lets hope thats not the case.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

My point was simply not to be naive to the fact that a bigger club offering more money will most likely cause the player to want to explore that option. How that move turns out depends on each case but is irrelevant to the point im making.

As @DeeCee says and something that was my point, lets not be naive, this happens everywhere.

Lets hope we sign Rodwell up this week to a new deal. If he continues to impress and then a bigger club nabs him weve only ourselves to blame. Lets hope thats not the case.

Mowbray has already said he not going offer a new Deal to Rodwell just yet..he fully explanied why aswell

I think at this stage of his career, after all that has happened , if Rodwell has an ounce of sense or someone to offer him solid advice, he will keep playing as he is and not look to move anywhere else. The reality is if he keeps playing as he is, we will offer him a deal. The reality also is that he will have other offers. The guy is class when fit. For his career, moving somewhere else now ,solely for a bigger pay packet would be a huge risk for him IMO. Another bad move and he is back to the nightmare scenario he was in at Sunderland. I can't see him signing for any team but us. 

You could see what the goal meant to him on Saturday. How his teammates celebrated. For a professional player who has had the experience he has had, that must be priceless. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think at this stage of his career, after all that has happened , if Rodwell has an ounce of sense or someone to offer him solid advice, he will keep playing as he is and not look to move anywhere else. The reality is if he keeps playing as he is, we will offer him a deal. The reality also is that he will have other offers. The guy is class when fit. For his career, moving somewhere else now ,solely for a bigger pay packet would be a huge risk for him IMO. Another bad move and he is back to the nightmare scenario he was in at Sunderland. I can't see him signing for any team but us. 

You could see what the goal meant to him on Saturday. How his teammates celebrated. For a professional player who has had the experience he has had, that must be priceless. 

Agree with alot of that. However alot of footballers don't seem to fall into the sensible category

Let's hope Jack's learned a few things at his time in Sunderland

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Agree with alot of that. However alot of footballers don't seem to fall into the sensible category

Let's hope Jack's learned a few things at his time in Sunderland

Especially when you have money hungry agents whispering into your ears at every minute. 

• Like 1

True, but Mowbray seems to communicate with and relate well to players. I am sure these are the conversations he is having with Rodwell. 

Agents or not, I think after what has gone on in Rodwells career, a new contract here is the best plan for himself first and foremost. A move somewhere else would be an enormous risk for him. He might make more money in the short-term but what good is a 1 or 2 year deal somewhere else if he stops playing well or moves somewhere and the manager is sacked. I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up staying here. 

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be fair, its not necessarily greed. I dont like the word greed because almost everybody would snap someones hands off if they offered them x thousands a week more.

But he might go to a bigger team or to a new challenge. A lower/promoted Prem team might even take a punt on him, or a foreign team may even be interested which could suit his style of play; Livorno were linked for example and the Italian style of play may be less taxing on his body and suit him more.

As far as I'm concerned, the onus is on the club and Mowbray to sort out an extension as soon as possible to protect him as an asset. Considering how quick the club was to give Williams and Smallwood new deals in the summer (as "rewards") and also Sam Hart recently, surely Rodwell deserves an extra year or 2.

People also mention him oweing us for offering him a deal when no one will touch us but if we dont offer him an extension then he might not feel wanted long term.

Up until now, partially due to injuries hes not been a regular either.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, its not necessarily greed. I dont like the word greed because almost everybody would snap someones hands off if they offered them x thousands a week more.

But he might go to a bigger team or to a new challenge. A lower/promoted Prem team might even take a punt on him, or a foreign team may even be interested which could suit his style of play; Livorno were linked for example and the Italian style of play may be less taxing on his body and suit him more.

As far as I'm concerned, the onus is on the club and Mowbray to sort out an extension as soon as possible to protect him as an asset. Considering how quick the club was to give Williams and Smallwood new deals in the summer (as "rewards") and also Sam Hart recently, surely Rodwell deserves an extra year or 2.

People also mention him oweing us for offering him a deal when no one will touch us but if we dont offer him an extension then he might not feel wanted long term.

Up until now, partially due to injuries hes not been a regular either.

I think you missed my point and I never used the word greed. The point is why risk moving to a bigger team or a bigger challenge after only just getting back somewhere near his best? I am sure he knows it is in his best interest to stay here. He had the big wages, but was miserable. I am sure at this point he would prefer to be happy on £10-15,000  a week, rather than unhappy on £70,000. I know I would. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think you missed my point and I never used the word greed. The point is why risk moving to a bigger team or a bigger challenge after only just getting back somewhere near his best? I am sure he knows it is in his best interest to stay here. He had the big wages, but was miserable. I am sure at this point he would prefer to be happy on £10-15,000  a week, rather than unhappy on £70,000. I know I would. 

His previous conduct at Sunderland would suggest not. I was in the sign him camp and I'm pleased he's started to look a good signing. I don't think he'll leave any time soon because most clubs will be wary of his past history and will want to see more of him. However if another club came in offering big bucks I don't doubt for one minute he'd be off.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2019 at 04:09, chaddyrovers said:

Here’s Harry Chapman.......

“He’s a great manager - probably the best I’ve worked under. I love his philosophy about football and the style of play.”

Read more at: https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/hartlepool-youngster-reveals-why-he-wanted-to-sign-for-blackburn-rovers-1-9563651

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

His previous conduct at Sunderland would suggest not. I was in the sign him camp and I'm pleased he's started to look a good signing. I don't think he'll leave any time soon because most clubs will be wary of his past history and will want to see more of him. However if another club came in offering big bucks I don't doubt for one minute he'd be off.

His previous conduct? What conduct was that now, honoring a contract he signed fair and square? 

11 hours ago, tonyoz said:

Here’s Harry Chapman.......

“He’s a great manager - probably the best I’ve worked under. I love his philosophy about football and the style of play.”

Read more at: https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/hartlepool-youngster-reveals-why-he-wanted-to-sign-for-blackburn-rovers-1-9563651

Reading this Mowbray is saying Harry needs to be fit enough to play the high press and swarm before he will be considered. 

15 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Reading this Mowbray is saying Harry needs to be fit enough to play the high press and swarm before he will be considered. 

I don’t think any of us are expecting him too go straight into the starting XI when he’s (I think) played next to no games this season.