BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

46 minutes ago, nuttyrover said:

Best manager in the last decade. Centre-backs dropping like flies.

He has done no better than Bowyer, in fact probably not quite as well. He has basically got us in the same position that Gary Bowyer did only via a different route way as Bowyer succeeded where Mowbray failed and kept us in the Championship. Also Mowbray has spent a lot more money than Bowyer ever did, in fact Mowbray spent more on just Gallagher than Bowyer during his entire tenure and Gallagher isn't even Mowbray's most expensive buy.

As for centre back's dropping like flies it was obvious with the injury records of Lenihan, Ayala and Williams that we were going into the season a centre back light yet rather than rectify that he signed 3 goalkeepers instead. 

6 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Really fed up of all the false dawns. We are so streaky. Go on a winning run until we get near the play offs or play a decent team and then loose a few and end up back where we started. Its like groundhog day and we are stagnating. 

Not all the false dawns, there is one false dawns- mowbrays tenure. 

guaranteed to go on winning and losing runs, fail to break the top 6 

no matter what personnel we get through the door, which makes transfer windows all a bit pointless sadly. Taking away the best part of the game 

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think Bennett should have started ahead of him, but Nyambe isn't perfect. It's good that he is now offering more going forward. I don't think anyone will take his place now. I don't see the issue with rotating him and JRC. 

Is he captain of his country? I didn't even think he was a guaranteed starter. 

Nobody ever claimed Nyambe was perfect.

69% of possession away from home! 15 shots on target to their 3!

BUT---no goals and no points.

Deja vu, dog day afternoon----all the cliches yet again!

Once again he talks of the opposition being "very well organised" without any sense of irony at all.

Clearly we are going to spend the rest of the season battering down the castle gates in vain while those inside slip out by a back door.

We will never be promoted under this manager who, with his vast experience as a player, still hasn't grasped the basics as a manager----at club after club.

Beside myself with frustration, must have lie-down!

Edited by 47er

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt want Douglas in the 1st place. Always wanted Manning here. Mowbray made a massive mistake there. 

Never materialised cos Williams never moved on and Wharton was good enough to part of the centre back options

Manning hasn’t been getting games due to his life style. I have a connection to him, and football isn’t coming first for him in life choices.

59 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He has done no better than Bowyer, in fact probably not quite as well. He has basically got us in the same position that Gary Bowyer did only via a different route way as Bowyer succeeded where Mowbray failed and kept us in the Championship. Also Mowbray has spent a lot more money than Bowyer ever did, in fact Mowbray spent more on just Gallagher than Bowyer during his entire tenure and Gallagher isn't even Mowbray's most expensive buy.

As for centre back's dropping like flies it was obvious with the injury records of Lenihan, Ayala and Williams that we were going into the season a centre back light yet rather than rectify that he signed 3 goalkeepers instead. 

I don’t really like to make direct comparisons between managers because each one inherits a unique set of circumstances. Fyi, I probably wouldn’t have sacked Bowyer either. An underrated manager who was victim of his own success.

Have to say if people are thinking TM is a good manager they must be in awe of Warnock and O Neil. Turning round clubs without 3 seasons - unthinkable. The reading manager must also be pretty handy too. 

Time to get rid because once Nayambe and a few others go we will only be looking downwards... 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

Have to say if people are thinking TM is a good manager they must be in awe of Warnock and O Neil. Turning round clubs without 3 seasons - unthinkable. The reading manager must also be pretty handy too. 

Time to get rid because once Nayambe and a few others go we will only be looking downwards... 

O'Neil been in charge of Stoke for under a year and already sorted his defence out.

Mowbray is living the absolute dream - no pressure at all. 

This team is a top 6 team. With Mowbray mid table. Get him out of the club asap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

O'Neil been in charge of Stoke for under a year and already sorted his defence out.

This team is a top 6 team. With Mowbray mid table. Get him out of the club asap.

Crazy how little the owners expect from him. Wins, promotions, expensive signings working - don't seem bothered about any of it. Is there another job in football like Rovers? 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, nuttyrover said:

I don’t really like to make direct comparisons between managers because each one inherits a unique set of circumstances. Fyi, I probably wouldn’t have sacked Bowyer either. An underrated manager who was victim of his own success.

You don't like making direct comparisons yet you've confidently stated Mowbray is the best manager of the last decade. To come to that conclusion you would have to have direct comparisons to all of the managers in that period.

You talk of Bowyer being a victim of his own success, what success was that? Mid table in this league is not success.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Crazy how little the owners expect from him. Wins, promotions, expensive signings working - don't seem bothered about any of it. Is there another job in football like Rovers? 

You can’t be serious. Do you want to go back to Venkys pre Mowbray? Wow that was fun.

3 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

You can’t be serious. Do you want to go back to Venkys pre Mowbray? Wow that was fun.

Let's be perfectly clear. Venkys pre Mowbray and no accountability are not the only two options. 

No one, including me is asking for a 5 manager a year circus with political infighting. People just want a bit of accountability and higher standards than currently displayed within the club. 

• Like 4

We need to get promoted this season - no questions about that. 

How can we sustain as a club when we are riddled in debt?  Mowbray talks about a journey but what do we do when we either sell our best players to comply with FFP or they ask to leave to join more ambitious clubs? Do you trust the current management set up to be able to find ready made replacements? This no doubt will set us back another 3 years and the cycle will be repeated. We need promotion this season. Anything else and I fear we will be left as a midtable championships club for years to come and with this comes more debt and a weakened team. 

If we had decisive owners, Mowbray would of been sent packing last season, alas we don't. 

There is no argument about attractive football or percentages. 

Premier league football = ££££ ( Doesn't matter how we get there, I would take sh*thousing every team and 1-0 wins to secure a better future for the club.)

Anyone who says different is short sighted and needs realise the severity of the situation.

• Like 1

I was happy when we sacked Allardyce. I naively assumes we would bring in someone better...

That experience Is the main factor preventing me from fully endorsing the idea of getting rid of Mowbray. Judging by recent appointments our next manager would certainly be coming via HSH.

Take your pick:

Steve Cooper
Mark Robins
Craig Bellamy
Gary Holt
Tony Pulis
Graham Wesley
Micky Mellon
Dave Challinor
Dean Keats
Tony Philliskirk

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

The great fear for me is that come the summer we are likely to lose Nyambe for nothing, a raft of first teamers including Rothwell and Holtby on free transfers, Elliott who will be off somewhere else next season and Armstrong who will want a move to somewhere better than mid-table Championship.

When all that happens Mowbray is going to be ready armed with his next excuse for another 12-18 month building job and a large portion of the fanbase will simply lap it up as an excuse for another few seasons of drift. 

I want accountability and consequences from failing to hit targets. This club and some peoples attitudes towards it are more in keeping with an amateur Sunday league club seemingly happy to just see what happens and try again next year.

• Like 2

If Nyambe, Rothwell and Holtby leave that can’t be blamed on Mowbray. He doesn’t sign the contracts. He plays all 3 regularly.

If Nyambe wants to go and gets a bigger club, that’s on the owners.

If Holtby goes, it’s not going to be for bigger ambition or lack of game time. Same with Rothwell.

Dack is running his contract down, and openly saying he will jump at any PL team that will have him.

Mowbray plays these guys every week, it’s weird that some fans will blame him if they go.

38 minutes ago, LDRover said:

You don't like making direct comparisons yet you've confidently stated Mowbray is the best manager of the last decade. To come to that conclusion you would have to have direct comparisons to all of the managers in that period.

You talk of Bowyer being a victim of his own success, what success was that? Mid table in this league is not success.

No, it’s a fact that Mowbray is our most successful manager. Just look at his overall win percentage and ppg.

Bowyer finished 8th and 2pts shy of the playoffs at one point. No one would’ve expected that of him. 

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

O'Neil joined Stoke on 8th November 2019 so how is that under a year then? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

O'Neil joined Stoke on 8th November 2019 so how is that under a year then? 

FFS, it's 13 months - don't split hairs.  What difference does a month make.  Mowbray is just days short of being here for 4 YEARS.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I was happy when we sacked Allardyce. I naively assumes we would bring in someone better...

That experience Is the main factor preventing me from fully endorsing the idea of getting rid of Mowbray. Judging by recent appointments our next manager would certainly be coming via HSH.

Take your pick:

Steve Cooper
Mark Robins
Craig Bellamy
Gary Holt
Tony Pulis
Graham Wesley
Micky Mellon
Dave Challinor
Dean Keats
Tony Philliskirk

Well if that's any sort of potential shortlist cos of the HSH agency connection and not many you would want off that list surely

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well it's over 13 months actually. 

Hows your Bottle of red going? 

Chaddy, you are losing your credibility in arguing about days as opposed to years.

Just finishing off a Barolo then off to bed.

• Like 3