Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Posted (edited)

To be fair, we’ve had decent success in the loan market overall. Of course we’d prefer a permanent signing but a Reed / Tosin / Cunningham level recruit at LB, and an experienced no.2 keeper on a free would keep us on the upwards trajectory we’re on right now.

I still think they’ll have their eye on a CM & a forward loan too. Wouldn’t surprise if someone came out of nowhere.

Not sure if he’s been mentioned but with United about to sign Telles, I think Brandon Williams would be a cracking loan addition. 

Edited by Paul Mani

We are not going to sign a £10m left back on a permanent.

But we get one on a loan.

I would prefer a loan deal over a permanent signing.

Preferably with an option to buy if promoted...

Nowt wrong with loans, nowt wrong with depth.

If offers are for a Cunningham or a Tosin but only for this season I'd grab that PDQ. If we get promoted there's a good chance they'd convert to permy.  If we discover better players once promoted we aren't encumbered with getting rid of baggage (think Mulgrew). Must be some excellent LB's out there available from a 'big' club who'd be an improvement on what we have. If so we have a better chance of going up. So money paid out for that is not lost money. If we don't go up then we wouldn't have gone up anyway with a worse LB so what's the harm in getting another good loan. Over to you Tony  get a good one!

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

This European Scouting Network is for the long term and not just for one signing. 

I brought a car as a long term investment. Doesnt mean I limit its use to once a week. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Of course it is about man management skills. Thats what management is about. Why knock Bell's confidence when he is playing so well? maybe that the fact we are after left back is helping his performances? 

Wrong message imo. Teams always should be looking to improve. Contrast this with what Kenny etc have said - it's a different mentality and a more successful one to be looking for better than you have. Would never have signed Bellamy, Samba, Nelson, heck or the Shearer or Cole with that attitude. 

That said I think looking for a left back is giving him a bit of a kick up the arae and improving his performances. 

Saw an article on Lancs live yesterday mention Oskar Burr from wolves as the sort of player we will be looking at. Does anybody know anything about him?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Helmshore blue said:

Saw an article on Lancs live yesterday mention Oskar Burr from wolves as the sort of player we will be looking at. Does anybody know anything about him?

Imagine if Sam Hart was still at Liverpool, hadn't been bought on the cheap by anybody else but also hadn't gone out on loan for 3-4 years.

Unknown quantity I guess. Hasn't played enough.

Edited by CD_93

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

This European Scouting Network is for the long term and not just for one signing.

Long term!? It's been in place for 2 years that's pretty long term in this day and age.

15 minutes ago, Helmshore blue said:

He is a right back/wing back, so no use.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a right back/wing back, so no use.

Although we are short of cover in that area, it would be odd to loan a bench player. Unless he's going to challenge at left-back

Just now, JoeH said:

Although we are short of cover in that area, it would be odd to loan a bench player. Unless he's going to challenge at left-back

Yeah we should sign a left footer, I think it was in the Lancs Live so very much a suggestion/example rather than a genuine link.

Hopefully the actual player we sign has more experience, not sure either of these first 2 are realistic but more of a Cunningham/Douglas than a Leif Davis/Nkonkou. (kids at Leeds and Everton, random examples)

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

It sounds like Dack could be training over the international break, that would be terrific news. I agree, to coin a Mowbray phrase, might not be a bad idea to keep the powder dry till January. Absolutely need a GK and LB by deadline though.

That won't happen.

They say this every transfer window. The money doesn't materialise. Then it will be all about it being a tough time to do business and better waiting until the summer

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Long term!? It's been in place for 2 years that's pretty long term in this day and age.

What gets measured gets done.

Bottom line, IMO, is we have very little, if anything, to show for this operation.

Holtby last season was 'a known' player - you didn't need a scouting set-up for that one as his agent should have done the graft in alerting clubs to his availability.  As some poster pointed out yesterday (may even have been yourself), Gent would have circulated Kaminski's availability following the alleged club / player bust up and I do not think we would have been scouting Kaminski (undisputed first choice goalie with a Belgian 1st Division club competing in Europe) pre the alleged bust up.

'Near misses' don't count!!!

IMO, we haven't found a single European unpolished diamond within our transfer / wages' budget (which will be very competitive relative to most of Europe) and that is the acid test or bottom line.

Just now, Mercer said:

Bottom line, IMO, is we have very little, if anything, to show for this operation.

Holtby last season was 'a known' player - you didn't need a scouting set-up for that one as his agent should have done the graft in alerting clubs to his availability.  As some poster pointed out yesterday (may even have been yourself), Gent would have circulated Kaminski's availability following the alleged club / player bust up and I do not think we would have been scouting Kaminski (undisputed first choice goalie with a Belgian 1st Division club competing in Europe) pre the alleged bust up.

IMO, we haven't found a single European unpolished diamond within our transfer / wages' budget (which will be very competitive relative to most of Europe) and that is the acid test or bottom line.

I think you are right to expect more from the scouting network but you cant then put Kaminski down to a bust up as if he was a well known name.

Of course, we dont know how good or otherwise Kaminski will prove, but he is the solitary addition from the scouting network, and he cant be dismissed.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Mercer said:

It depends as to how you measure the success. Is success going to Portugal as we've done before and bringing a bus load of a dozen players back and hoping one of them sticks when thrown? Or is it different to that. Lewis Holtby is a TOP signing, Thomas Kamniski (if as effective as he has been long-term) is a pretty impressive shrewd signing for the price.

Sure we could sign some Norwegian left-back that we've never heard of, and you could call that European Scouting Success, but for me it's less about quantity and more about quality.

We got Holtby and nobody else seemed to even have an ounce of a sniff, we clearly got that right, had fingers in the right holes in the continent etc... Sure he's a known player, but you didn't hear of any other English based clubs getting close.

Edited by JoeH

Posted (edited)
Just now, JoeH said:

Sure we could sign some Norwegian left-back that we've never heard of, and you could call that European Scouting Success, but for me it's less about quantity and more about quality.

Here you go : https://www.transfermarkt.com/haitam-aleesami/profil/spieler/230166 Still without a club and plays for our national team.

Edited by Swanson

Just now, Mercer said:

And whose European scouting network has been better than ours this Summer? Just curious as to what you expected this Summer.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It depends as to how you measure the success. Is success going to Portugal as we've done before and bringing a bus load of a dozen players back and hoping one of them sticks when thrown? Or is it different to that. Lewis Holtby is a TOP signing, Thomas Kamniski (if as effective as he has been long-term) is a pretty impressive shrewd signing for the price.

We got Holtby and nobody else seemed to even have an ounce of a sniff, we clearly got that right, had fingers in the right holes in the continent etc... Sure he's a known player, but you didn't hear of any other English based clubs getting close.

Wasn’t Holtby on the way to somewhere in Turkey then the deal broke down and we stepped in? (Might have got that wrong though!)

Just seen that the Issa brothers from Blackburn have bought Asda from Walmart. It’s a new name to me but I wondered if they support the Rovers? Could have a chat with the Venkys!

The Issa Asda Ewood Stadium

Has a certain ring to it, at least they'd be locally based for decisions.

32 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

And whose European scouting network has been better than ours this Summer? Just curious as to what you expected this Summer.

He expects us to make loads of signings on one hand on the other hand we are in deep trouble and need to make 10-20 Million in savings through sales and cutting the wage budget 

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Well if you can just discount the players signed from abroad to suit your argument then the scouting network has been a bust

31 minutes ago, JWUpper said:

Wasn’t Holtby on the way to somewhere in Turkey then the deal broke down and we stepped in? (Might have got that wrong though!)

Was mainly referring to other English clubs

50 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

PNE have just signed a striker from Norway if that helps?!

If Rhian Brewster is worth £23.5m then what the hell is Arma worth??

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

If Rhian Brewster is worth £23.5m then what the hell is Arma worth??

Just another example of how silly it's becoming these days.

imagine what Shearer in his prime would have been worth today...