BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bring On The Dingles

BRFC4EVA

You've got to love the build up to these games.

Analysing ticket sales over the last 25 years... who kicked who's ass on some train station in the 70's... it's great stuff.

No 17 year wait this time, just the 3 or 4 years, but it's every bit as gripping.

Also, as a side issue, I'd like very much to win one of these b****** games.

ha ha sam, for once 1 agree with you. There is nothing better than the build up to a burnley rovers game. Pne, wigan or notlob games in comparison dont even register on the 'bothered about the result' scale biggrin.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two games were before segregation but when the away fans were plonked on the Longside a few years later, the away section of it came right up to the halfway line, in other words roughly half of the terracing. 

CLayton,

Its hard to be sure as the memory now fades but As I recall the away end AND no mans land were not half the longside.

Sorry CLB, from memory I would tend to agree with Longsider (no!!! agreeing with the'enemy') - but as said it is recalling from memory banks.

Longsider - 1864/CLB are not trying to condone violence or glorify-just clarifying what most Burnley fans are in denial at (and seething at the bit and have been ever since 77)

In addition, not all us Rovers fans are as confident knowing our ability to cock things up.

You are in business so do you not favour ever so slightly the customers that you make most profit from? huh.gif 

btw I dont subscribe to Sky Paul.  Do you?

Of course, which is precisely why the away support should always receive first shout on tickets. For example without regular travelling fans it would be difficult for Rovers to gauge the ticket volume they might request for any PL away match. Don't forget the visiting club has to purchase the away tickets regardless of if they are sold or not. Therefore we can argue the regular travelling support effectively underwrite Rovers committment in this area.

Use it or Lose it - your phrase I believe. Yet on this thread you suggest the club should risk alienating the regular away support, whom I presume are ST holders at Ewood, by offering Burnley tickets to ST holders on a tiered basis.

You further suggest the club alienate those who cannot travel to Ewood to purchase tickets by limiting or blocking the number of incoming calls. That should go down well in London, Leicestershire, Manchester, Wiltshire and a few other places I can think of

In another thread you ridiculed an individual for suggesting tickets for young people should be more competively priced.

In an earlier post you refered to getting "all my tickets" - Did you by any chance purchase tickets for someone who wasn't in the queue? Someone who couldn't get down to Ewood or couldn't get to a phone all morning. I'm truely shocked

What was that phrase again - Use it or Lose it" - your proposals for ticketing arrangements suggest you are more in the lose it camp.

No I don't subscribe to Sky and I never knowingly purchase any media from the Murdoch organisation as a matter of principle. Quite happy to watch the odd game though. Yes it is a double standard, bit like yours really?

You've got to love the build up to these games.

Analysing ticket sales over the last 25 years... who kicked who's ass on some train station in the 70's... it's great stuff.

No 17 year wait this time, just the 3 or 4 years, but it's every bit as gripping.

Don't worry Sam, I got your sarcasm ... and was duly amused!

laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Also, as a side issue, I'd like very much to win one of these b****** games.

Yes, sam winning the East Lancashire derby games is a very satisfying feeling.

Are you old enough to know about these sorts of things first hand?

Edited by philipl

rover.gif what makes me laugh 4 years ago or is 5 we could not shift our ticket;s now they do not go on general sale,i know one or two who even have tickets with the dingles,why the sudden change in heart tinykit.gif

A couple of reasons may have contributed.

First of all the 'fear factor' of people travelling t'turf has been broken by the last visit and the excellent organisation. I knew people (not many) who really thought the away fans would be in danger back in 2000. This was proven not to be the case.

Also maybe, just maybe, the magic of the FA cup has finally reared it's head. Like it or not we probably will come across Burnley in the next 12 years in the league. (I've already stated that in 5 years time i unfortunately expect us to become a Championship side due to finances / stature but thats for another thread). However we may well never ever get Burnely again in the FA Cup. Or it could be another 40 odd years. That's why it's so special (and I'm so miffed I'm away that weekend).

I still take your point that it's strange that it seems we could have sold this twice over.

If all the Rovers fans who suddenly want tickets for Burnley had bothered to go to City .. or Bolton .. or Villa .. or even to Boro last week .... maybe the phone system would work properly, and more people would have had tickets before the mad rush this morning.

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Twist the knife why don't you

Those two games were before segregation but when the away fans were plonked on the Longside a few years later, the away section of it came right up to the halfway line, in other words roughly half of the terracing. 

CLayton,

Its hard to be sure as the memory now fades but As I recall the away end AND no mans land were not half the longside.

Hmmmm, I think CLB is broadly right. On that glorious day I was about 5 yards from the no mans land fence and I was a lot closer to the half way line than the edge of the penalty area - perfectly placed to see that Noel was onside as he burst through for his 1 on 1 waltz round Stephenson for orgasmic goal #3.

It was a hell of a crush, impossible to move away from the barrage of missiles that came over, so got hit on the back of the head by a chunk of brick. However, a kindly gentleman in front of me responded by sh!tting into his plastic beer glas and lobbing that over.

I'm mega-excitied that it's live on TV over here. Normally I would go down the pub to watch it hoping for a bit of banter with the opposing fans, but I can't imagine that Immigration Canada will have let anyone with webbed feet into the country.

It was a hell of a crush, impossible to move away from the barrage of missiles that came over, so got hit on the back of the head by a chunk of brick. However, a kindly gentleman in front of me responded by sh!tting into his plastic beer glas and lobbing that over.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif crying here!

Once again how many could we have sold!?......BLACKBURN HERE, BLACKBURN THERE, BLACKBURN EVERY F***IN WHERE!!! laugh.gif

At the famous 3-2 Boxing Day Derby in 1977 there were around 12,000 Rovers fans at the game. Away section of Longside, gates locked at 2pm with 8,000 in. Beehole End another 2,000+ with others in stands.

During the latter part of that season we averaged 10,000+ ie we took more than our home average.

Just goes to show what we can do when we try and more importantly when the Dingles are there for the taking.

That day was the best ever for atmosphere.

Goose bumps down my back and i wasn't even there biggrin.gif

I was and must admit to being rather scared that day.

Why so SAR?

The stand opposite the Longdide was no longer there as they were preparing to build the Martin Dobson Stand (you might get that one).

For those who don't know, Bob "the Butcher" Lord sold Burnley's best player (possibly of all time) to finance the building of a stand he named after his good self. Hence some people sarcastically refer to it as the Martin Dobson Stand.

The stand opposite the Longdide was no longer there as they were preparing to build the Martin Dobson Stand (you might get that one).

For those who don't know, Bob "the Butcher" Lord sold Burnley's best player (possibly of all time)

Dunno about that.

Dobson was very good but to be fair to the Deliverance folk they had some pretty special players in the 1960s and 1970s.

The likes of Ralph Coates, Willie Morgan, Ray Pointer, Jimmy McIlroy, Leighton James, Dave Thomas, Brian Flynn and Ray Hankin were just a few of their top-class performers, most of whom were home-produced.