SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bring On The Dingles

BRFC4EVA

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first ever away game was at Burnley.  I think it was around 1979/80 when we won 1-0 with a Garner goal (someone correct me if I've got the year wrong).  I was only 8 or 9 and went with my dad who insisted on sitting down, so we sat with the Burnley fans in what now is the away end stand behind the goal.

I can remember feeling a tad worried about this even at that age.  But, when we scored, we couldn't help but jump up, and I was amazed to see that about half the stand also jumped up as well!  God knows how many Rovers fans made the journey over that day but it was a lot more than those who were in the away end.

Anyway, I've been back whenever we've played Burnley since and it's always a cracking atmosphere.  And I really shouldn't say this but I've never seen us get beat.  Long may it continue.

it must have been 82/83. The next nearest Rovers win at the Turf was 77/78 but that was the 2-3 mentioned earlier on this post.

As for been back ever time you've played us since - well that would be once then.

Now you talk about the somewhat muddled memory of Burnley fans for the gates - now you are trying to say half the home stands were filled with Rovers as well? Do me a favour

I can vouch for the short-trousered Scotty's recollection.

I watched that game from the Bee Hole End (along with a sizeable number of fellow Blues who also had stopped too long in the pub and couldn't get in the Longside visitors section), and was amazed at how many people in the Cricket Field Stand jumped up when Garns tucked it away at that end.

But fair do's, the Blues around me who were wearing their colours all seemed to get a good tonking for their trouble.

Come on, own up, you started going just a little after Uncle Jacks wallet opened.

I was, in fact I have never watched us live POST JW. Let me ask you this however, you indicate you were around way back when we actually did paint your town Blue and White, so tell me were you there THROUGH the sub 2000 gates or did your interest rekindle after "the" Orient game.

Oh and let's not forget 30 years before JW you lot would pull 30,000+ for the Evertons and Man U's then pull 13,000 shortly after for the Ipswich's should we move on to glory hunters now. Let's see if we can exhaust every argument before the game. Kudo's to you though LS you are trying very hard to keep it level headed, unlike some clarrots who shall be nameless, that bragged at the Celtic game their DAD was soooo hard he beat up a drunken jock while the Celtic fan was taking a whizz. Always took the bicuit that one did, pretty hard that init?

Hope the game goes off without incident.

But fair do's, the Blues around me who were wearing their colours all seemed to get a good tonking for their trouble.

Fair do's EiT, you disappoint me abit. We were at theirs. Fairs do's would be how many clarrots jumped up and down in the old Riverside or Blackburn End when they scored at ours. Dare I venture a guess nary a one.

Edited by USABlue

rover.gif on bumlet's official site it says there are 2,000 tickets left,but that was at 12.30.my mate at work went today and got 6 tickets for the bob lord stand,no problem so if anyone needs a ticket get over there in the morning tinykit.gif

Thats the spirit!!!

Any Rovers fans without tickets get your arses down to the Turd and get tickets for the Bob Lord stand section nearest to the Rovers fans...doubt you'll have a problem in there.

The Bumley fans are getting all hot under the collar about which anti-Rovers songs to sing,sick references to Jack walker the lot....

THE BURNLEY CHOIR BOYS THREAD

Lets roast the two bob shytes and put them firmly under foot as always!! mad.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Fair do's EiT, you disappoint me abit. We were at theirs. Fairs do's would be how many clarrots jumped up and down in the old Riverside or Blackburn End when they scored at ours. Dare I venture a guess nary a one.

.....well what do you know....seems that chap from Pheonix is still doin his best to fan the flames from afar.

USABlue....are you not going to book yourself a transatlantic for this one..?

I have spent the last couple of days enjoying the banter on this thread. In particular the claims that you lot squeezed 8000 in the Longside away end.... laugh.gif

But...its good to see you sold out this time......and I sincerely hope that our two clubs can show the nation what a real derby is like....

ph34r.gif

I also have been enjoying the banter "theoriginallongsider", especially the post by one of your lost on a previous page which stated you brought 7-8000 to Ewood the last league game!

oh how i laughed. biggrin.gif

If you go back through the pages you will see someone qoute an official figure.

Might shock you a bit- that after general sale!!!!!

(but im sure there were 15000 locked out)

All this talk of who has been in who's end leaves me slightly troubled.

And USA Blue... rest easy. Everyone thinks you're harder than Jackie Chan and as fearless as one of those Gurka fellows.

I, for one, am hugely impressed by your manly toughness and tales of daring adventures.

I hope the game's this good.

Edited by SamDingle

.....well what do you know....seems that chap from Pheonix is still doin his best to fan the flames from afar.

USABlue....are you not going to book yourself a transatlantic for this one..?

I have spent the last couple of days enjoying the banter on this thread. In particular the claims that you lot squeezed 8000 in the Longside away end.... laugh.gif

But...its good to see you sold out this time......and I sincerely hope that our two clubs can show the nation what a real derby is like....

ph34r.gif

So how many did we squeeze on there Wrongsider,800 ?.

The police closed the away section 5 hours before the kick off laugh.gif

I also have been enjoying the banter "theoriginallongsider", especially the post by one of your lost on a previous page which stated you brought 7-8000 to Ewood the last league game!

S'funny that. I was there and for that amount of people they weren't very loud. biggrin.gif

....it gets better laugh.gif   

five hours before kick-off now......

laugh.gif  I hope you took your deck chairs

Make your minds up you lot eh...?

Well I don't know whether deck chairs were taken or not - I wasn't there. But my dad went. And my dad's bigger than your dad so nerrr!

I do hope that everyone is wearing colours for the game. There's be nothing better than the cricket field stand to be a sea of blue and white.

What is the policy on taking flags in? It'd be great if there were a load of blue and white flags waving as well. Anyone got any or know where I can purchase one?

Sorry Glenn dunno how but I missed your earlier post. Anyway............

QUOTE (thenodrog @ Feb 9 2005, 15:26 )

This'll tick a few off but I was also in conversation with John Newsome and a couple of officials this morning and my mate also rang Tom Finn to complain about tickets being sold over the phone whilst people were queing half the night at Ewood! We were told (about 10.30am) that 'measures' had been taken to remedy that . So I guess that if it was hard to get through after 10.00 it might just have been down to our efforts........... sorry guys but I'd been up early without any brekky, taken half a day off work and it was not all that tropical I can assure you.

Ticked Off ! I'm chuffin livid and I already have my tickets. Telephone was an advertised way of getting tickets, no mention was made in the run up to the game that people in the queue would be given preferential treatment, so why the hell should the view of a fan and a safety officer change the clubs policy without prior warning ? Why did you not ask them to bin all the post applications too ? After all, they are people just "too lazy" to queue too aren't they ?

Maybe there is a clue in the word 'safety' Glenn. 1 person on the end of the phone could hardly cause a crowd 'incident' could they as opposed to a thousand people in a concourse with about 3 stewards for company?

I've written to Miriam (Miriam eh? And you've got your ticket Glenn! When did you get that last Friday? huh.gifdry.gif I wish I knew a Miriam sad.gif ). asking if there a policy change regarding the phones mid-morning and if there was then I'm going to kick up one hell of a fuss of this because it's completely out of order. Talk about moving the goalposts.

This isn't about me whining because I didn't get tickets, because I did. It also not about me being in Leeds and you lot getting an extra one and a half in bed after I'd have to set off (as Abbey, Rev, Ewood Spark and RoverTheMoon will testify, for Celtic I was on the concourse around 5:30am, having been forced to take a full day off work) because if I hadn't already got tickets I would have not only been in the queue at Ewood but on the phone too (as I was for Celtic). If you want a ticket that badly, you'll do what it takes. No, It's about the fact that when the club advertised three methods of getting tickets (one, as always, pretty much gaurenteeing them) to expect one to be cancelled mid morning because to some people it's unfair is outrageous. This would have been no fairer than saying to everyone in the queue, "Look, the phone lines are jammed and those people are having to PAY to queue. where as you're sorry asses are costing the club extra money by having the concourse open". Silly and unfair ? Yes, but no more so than stopping phone sales.

PS In defence of BRFC ticket allocation policy Newsome mentioned the fine work of the ‘Fans Forum’

Odd, I haven't missed a FF meeting in the last couple of years and I don't remember ticketing for Burnley coming up ? In fact, I think the only time away ticketing came up was post-Celtic and I don't remember anyone complaining about the phones then.

Sorry if i misled you there but I wasn't discussing or referring to the Burnley allocation specifically then Glenn, more about the general ticket policy. That was when I was discussing the folly of lowering ticket prices for 'unattractive' matches and yet getting no higher attendances. How does one get onto the fans forum anyway?

I will however concede there is some logic in your theory of away tickets NOT benefiting the club financially.

I thank you

--------------------

Famous User Quotes No. 9 :

Gally put more effort into the half time draw than Yorke did in the match. He was probably more of a threat to United too. - Modi.

Support the site - Make a donation --- Support Me - Buy my stuff from Ebay

hmm  dry.gif

Joined as I like the occasional bit of banter.

Obviously if my presence upsets you I will gladly retire from your MB - assuming of course Rovertime et al will no longer visit ours

They are only doing what you appear to be doing on a few websites -unless you have a doppelganger or aghast a double laugh.gif

Anyway ignore them, most of them are only the keyboard warriors anyway and wouldn't have a clue if a Burnley fan was in front of them - no idea how though laugh.giflaugh.gif

user posted image

rover.gif i wonder if we could sort out blue and white cards,so when the players come out it's all blue and white at one end off the dingle dome,could it be done tinykit.gif

It would be good to do something. Suggestions?

What is the policy on taking flags in? It'd be great if there were a load of blue and white flags waving as well. Anyone got any or know where I can purchase one?

The shop had some blue and white ones with crest in the middle recently

Joined as I like the occasional bit of banter.

Obviously if my presence upsets you I will gladly retire from your MB - assuming of course Rovertime et al will no longer visit ours

Don't go, LS. You're almost one of us now wink.gifbiggrin.gif

rover.gif i wonder if we could sort out blue and white cards,so when the players come out it's all blue and white at one end off the dingle dome,could it be done tinykit.gif

Tell you what thats a good idea if it could be achieved.

Not just cards but anything blue and white it should be a theme day i'd say.

and i ain't going sad.gif

That's a great idea ... imagine that, as the players run out of the tunnel the cameras will be on our end anyway, the watching world will admire a sea of blue and white, from the dingledome!!