BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Bellamy - Good Signing Or Not?

What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?

• Excellent, he was no 1 on my list.
    • Very happy, not my no 1 choice but still very good.
    • Pleased, think he'll do a good job.
    • Uncertain, not sure he's right for us.
    • Disappointed, don't think it'll work out.
    • Appalled, think it's a dreadful mistake.
    • Wouldn't Grooby have been a better option.

Never mind. Maybe this guy still thinks it's more important to sell shirts and sign average players, than spend money on the likes of Bellamy.

Can't wait to read his report today. biggrin.gif

335370[/snapback]

If you're referring to Nakamura as an average player I think that you are well off the mark. He's an exceptional player and should light up the SPL.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're referring to Nakamura as an average player I think that you are well off the mark. He's an exceptional player and should light up the SPL.

335394[/snapback]

My mates tortoise would light up the bleedin SPL even when its bloody hibernating.

335394[/snapback]

No, I'm referring to this:

"Today, executive director Peter Lawwell reflected on the fact that, for just a little more than the £6m Newcastle asked for Bellamy, the Parkhead club have delivered no fewer than SEVEN players on manager Gordon Strachan's wish list."

Where were they all last night?

An accident waiting to happen.

Slovakia and Scotland have the same population. However, Slovakia has a somewhat competitive domestic league and Scotland doesn't. Perhaps more pertinently, Slovakia are still in with a decent chance of World Cup Finals qualification.

In that context, is this a suprise result?

I suspect one or more of Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Man U are likely to discover that third qualifying round of the Champions League is far from a formality.

Martin O'Neill is slipping very rapidly off the radar screen as a candidate for "big" jobs in England which can only be bad news for the Rovers over the coming months and years. rover 6, I recall rather more support for Paul Sturrock than Gordon Strachan when the Rovers management was being discussed on here.

335344[/snapback]

I think you're absolutely right in your assessment of Slovakia's football and I also imagine that Celtic won't the only ones to be unravelled by their ability. I should think that Artmedia fans are well ###### off that Celtic are being so royally dissed for losing 5-0 to them.

As for Gordon Strachan, I feel a tad sorry for him as he has a giant's reputation to aspire to, but for Celtic, I'm not sorry at all.

I wouldn't have thought that Martin O'Neill would be giving any thought whatsoever to the big jobs in football at the moment given his wife's illness. That said, I take your point that the more successful Hughes gets, the more vulnerable we are to losing him. However, by that time, there will be other marketable managers around. I guess we can't go around worrying about things like that too much.

Edited by rosie

• 2 weeks later...

I also would like to know what exactly is wrong with Bellamy, because the club has been given mixed signals about the extent of his injury. Just after either the 1860 or Mallorca match didn't Sparky say if the game had been tommorrow Craig would have played some part of that match. I am really hoping he is fit for the West Ham game otherwise were going to have the same squad as last season minus three players and only the addition of Kuqi.

This is a worry no bellamy again surely he can't play from the start next week with the little football he has played this pre-season. I now think we will go and keep it tight and aim for at least a point on the opening day away which won't be too bad and save bellamy for his home debut the following week providing of course he could be fit by then. Was there any info on the radio etc yesterday concening Bellamy ?

If MH with his Spanish knowledge had an inkling that Espanyol might be a touch "competitive", I'm glad he held Bellamy and Ryan back. Otherwise, the injury situation is a bit concerning ahead of the big kick off.

Edited by philipl

• 2 months later...

Looking at the fact that almost half of the poll said Bellamy wasn't their first choice, and assuming that the first choice was McCarthy [because he was the only other player in the frame at the time], how many people would honestly swap Bellers for McCarthy now?

One hand - a player who knows the prem inside out and is a superb, proven player, on the other hand - a player who is not proven at prem level?

C'mon, anyone still swap?

Looking at the fact that almost half of the poll said Bellamy wasn't their first choice, and assuming that the first choice was McCarthy [because he was the only other player in the frame at the time], how many people would honestly swap Bellers for McCarthy now?

One hand - a player who knows the prem inside out and is a superb, proven player, on the other hand - a player who is not proven at prem level?

356199[/snapback]

I don't need to swap, so I'll just stick with my previous comments:

If we could have gotten McCarthy for the same amount I would still have Bellamy. He is proven premiership quality and two years younger!

330015[/snapback]

cool.gifcool.gif

The amazing thing about Bellamy is how much he improves the other players.

When he is on the pitch, everybody else is so much more confident, and want to be part of the attacks. Pedersen is especially more effective, probably as Bellamy likes to drift out wide so gives MGP more space.

356199[/snapback]

Nope...

In fact, I still maintain what I said somewhere else in this topic (or the transfer rumours one, I forget)...when he's on form, there's only Henry in this league that is better than him.

I just hope he stays fit for longer than one game at a time.

356199[/snapback]

well for all we know McCarthy might have ten goals by now and not get injuried every other week, so would love to have both considering Dickov and Kuqi look really shocking sometimes.

Bellamy looks quality though, lets hope he can stay fit and judge him over a season not 50 minutes of football

I an ideal world we would have both.

We are no better than last season without Bellamy which is happening a lot unfortunatley... but in my opinion half a Craig Bellamy is better than taking a risk on a very expensive unproven Benni.

Edited by OscarRaven

356199[/snapback]

To be fair Den perhaps you should have put McCarthy as not proven but fit enough to become proven. No problems with Bellamy's attitude(seemed to be most people's worry) or his ability, I wanted us to push the boat out for him before he went to Celtic. (Albeit before Fergie buggared off, I could see them two being huge together)

Had I been given a straight choice at the beginning of the season I would have been torn, simply on the basis of Craig's history with injury.

One way to end all speculation, let's go get McCarthy as well.

Right now, Hughes seems to be harnessing the "edge" to Bellamy's personality to remarkably positive effect.

Based on about 45 minutes of injury recovery playing time spread across two second halves against distinctly second rate opposition, Bellamy's performance is off the positive end of expectations and above anything I could have realistically hoped for.

Chelsea's rearguard's discomfort at Darren Bent's pace last night only whets the anticipation for another Bellamy cameo on Saturday.

Unfortunately, based on a dozen games, Dickov and Kuqi are disappointing and Jansen is way behind where I'd hoped him to be by now. Jemal finding his shooting boots for the Reserves is a ray of hope but its no wonder Hughes is putting the management of Bellamy's fitness ahead of all other concerns.

AFAIK this is my first post on Bellamy, in this thread at least.

I've got to be honest and say that I thought we were paying over the odds, his goal ratio isn't that hot and his well documented problems at Newcastle didn't endear himself to me.

After getting the chance to see him close up I've got to eat a slice of humble pie. His all-round play is far better than I ever expected it to be. I had him down as a head down and run type of player but I couldn't be more wrong - he is composed on the ball, can drop deep and link the play, or play on the shoulder, or drift wide, all to dazzling effect. Couple that with his frightening pace and we are looking at a very, very good player. With a 10-15 goal a season man in tandem with him we could rocket up the table.

biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.