• Samba
    • Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

Great win, thought we were good first half, came out second half like we had it won. Bents off today for the most part. I thought Dunny was terrific despite the constant mugging he got. Bolton are dirty dirty dirty and remarkably get away with it. How did Campo get away with not being booked until he did and when he was it should have been Nolan, and the subsequent red.

Anyway the biggest stand out for me from this game was, who was that playing in Benni's shirt in the first half. I though he was huge, tackling back chasing working his socks off, muscling it up with Bolton and dishing back what he was getting. I was bloody well impressed with Bennis efforts in the first half. Well done.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to the win but not the performance. Actually we have a bad game especially at first 15 mins in second half. We look more tired than Bolton during that period. We cannot head the ball out the area, cannot tackle (and lost a goal), cannot attack (everyone is panic at that period and just waste the shoot in front of goal by kicking the ball to row Z). Lucky that we have given a penalty or I think we should lose this match.

Marvellous win, don't care if the first pen was dodge, they still owe us a few, reckless challenge on someone going nowhere though (Same for the 2nd) but I'm not complaining, 2 transformed players made a big difference, especially in the first 1/2

MGP, has he returned to us? He won everything he went for and it was great to see him notch and Benni, what a game he had, esp. the calm way he dispatched his pens. even with all the cheating going on.

First 1/2 was the best football I've seen us play in a while, shame we couldn't take our other chances!

We got bullied in the 2nd half, ref. was weak, their guys to take it in turns hacking people down until they get booked and then Megson takes them off, when are the refs going to spot it?

Anyway, glad we stuffed them, about time at our place and I'm also glad they are in the mire.

Quality moments:

The Diving Llama losing the plot, how funny was that?

That time wasting keeper of their's having a go at MGP and MGP just laughing in his face

You're all going on a Championship Tour

Your support is worse than ours

I thought we looked comfortable in the first half - and while it was a harsh penalty - we deserved the half-time lead. We looked so much better than Bolton on the ball - our players looked technically superior all over the pitch.

Then after half-time it all went a bit wrong. We could've easily gone behind - we just totally switched off. But when we started keeping the ball again - we won a penalty - great passing move leading up to that.

I voted for Dunn as MOTM. Thought he looked very lively, won 2 penalties and set up the third. He looked like making something happen everytime he had the ball.

MGP was also very good. Deserved his goal, looked a threat, won headers, and nearly set up a goal within 10 seconds.

Benni deserves a mention too - both goals were penalties - but his all-round game was very good, and it was his skill that lead to the first penalty being won.

Friedel - we take him for granted sometimes, but he really is the most reliable keeper there is.

Very good Rovers display in the first half,but 2nd half the first 20 mins were awful.However after the 2nd pen went in it seemed to boost Rovers and they took control.Great result and hopefully will give us a lift for the final run-in and give us a good chance of qualifying for europe again.

Benni and MGP had very good games and really looked `up for it` which was nice to see,but not as nice as the odds on Benni to score first and Rovers win 4-1.I only put a pound on,but at 90/1 it meant i had a very good day out. :D

Like many other posters, i thought first half we looked good and played some of the best attacking football we have for some time. Second half for first 20 minutes we looked a completley different side as we kept losing the ball and looked really shaky at the back.

The best performers for me where:

Dunny- Brilliant performance. He was a real menace and was involved in the two penalities and the third goal. MOTM for me.

Gamst- His best performance this season IMO. His crossing looked far better, in particular that ball into Roque in the first half that could have resulted in a goal.

Benni- He didn't look lazy today! Took his penalties well and his alround play was superb.

Friedal- Superb as ever, made key saves from Nolan and others.

Overall you have to be happy with the performance and it looks like the break might have done the lads and put some perspective into what we need to do to push for Europe. Though it hasn't been helped with Spurs winning the League Cup...

Two points that made me laugh, were Diouf the foul mouthed cretin trying to put Benni off on the second pen, it obviosuly didn't work! And Bents reaction to scoring from a header, he couldn't believe it!

Two points that made me laugh, were Diouf the foul mouthed cretin trying to put Benni off on the second pen, it obviosuly didn't work!

Aren't Benni and Diouf good mates? I saw him trying to put him off, and Jussi was too. He just laughed at Diouf and winked at Jussi.

6 penalties in 4 games against them - that's madness. Remember when we went about 50 years without a penalty - give or take 48 years ish.

Very very happy with this result.

Bolton are a poor side but they were really going for it - lucky that both Nolan and Fat Michael Jackson lasted long enough to be substituted before they were sent off. Diouf was his usual loathsome self but far too clever to get much attention from the ref.

A thoroughly deserved win I thought. Bolton gave us a scare after half time but the majority of the game was ours.

My MoM was Benni for a brilliant effort. Dunn a very close second and lots of praise for a much improved Gamst. It felt like every home supporter was absolutely delighted for his goal.

Well done boys!

edit - post posted on wrong topic. better make a comment on the game instead then.

We played well quite and they were fairly poor except for that dodgy 20 minutes when it was vice-versa. Didn't think anyone had a paticularly bad game really. Dunn MOM.

I've asked several times when the last time we played well and were the better side overall after 90 minutes was. I think that yesterday is the one (just)

Good game - good to see Rovers playing well again and the team looked balanced especially in the first half.

- Pederson played well (at last!) he looked pleased at the end so hopefully he'll get back into form now.

- I was impressed with Benni Mac too, he really looked up for it

- The midfield pairing of Dunn/Reid worked really well, Dunn did some great runs and his passing was top quality. I think Reid was the unsung hero because he was everywhere on the pitch. Even during the period when Rovers were playing badly, he still broke a lot of the Bolton play down - so he got my MOTM.

:rover: i hope we have 2 men up front,a player on the halfway line when we are defending a corner and a goal would be nice :brfcsmilie:

:rover: well 4 goals will do for me,i would say 1.5 men up front and still no one up front when we defend corners!!!!!!!!!!!! very harsh decesion that give us the lead,from my view in the riverside it was a nailed on penalty,from the tv replays it was a corner!!and we could easily have been trailing with the chances lotnob missed but who gives a flying fook 4 GOALS I SAID 4 GOALS :brfcsmilie:

We deserved the win. 4-1 was a bit flattering but the game was ours apart from a wobbly 15 minutes at the start of the second half. I didn't think the 1st was a pen. Davis nearly took Warnock's head off when he scored. Raziak's attempt was definitely offside. What was Cahill up to for the 2nd? Pederson, McCarthy, and Dunn all played well.

All in a needed win. We've lost 1 in 9 but the teams around us keep winning so we need a few upsets. I think the best we can hope for is a draw today between City and Everton. I also hope those 3 home losses against the teams around us don't come back to haunt us.

It is good to see a few people on here seeing the bad side of a 4-1 win. The messageboard wouldn't be the same without them.

What was Warnock doing for Boltons goal ?

Has Warnock become a bit of a liability recently, is he the reason why Pedersen spends more time running backwards thus incurring the wrath of the fans whilst trying to cover for Warnock.

Thanks Rovers for 3 welcomed birthday points. :rolleyes:

2 silent Bolton fans at home, tea made, drinks laid on made for a very nice Sunday evening in our household.

Without wanting to get carried away, Rovers found themselves in a lucky position leading 3-1 which has to be agreed was slightly against the run of play. But hey, whoc ares, we have been in that position many time over the past 3 seasons and what goes around comes around (eventually).

Having then hobbled down the stairs I missed the ending of MGP's goal drought but by then I was too busy gloating over the doubled winkers.

I suppose though going back over the game the funniest thing for me was not the fact we beat them 4-1, it wasnt even the funny sight of the moaning Nolan almost crying as he pleaded with Mark Clattenburg over his decisions NOT to give the fat bolton scouser a penalty, IT WAS the sight of Spit the Diouf pleading and pleading about the penalty decisions. How has this inbred of life got the nerve to even doubt the referees decisions after his despicable dive at Ewood 2 seasons ago when he threw himself some 30 yards to earn a penalty then had the nerve to convert it and stealing 3 points that Bolton didnt deserve. This little oik is pure scum and it was only later on MOTD that I noticed him gobbing at the feet of Benni just before he converted the second penalty.Laugh ??? I nearly pi$$ed myself just seeing the scumbags face almost reduced to tears.

Anyhow, its gone for another season and maybe more. Bolton are a half decent side with some half decent players but they miss the link up play that had been provided by Anelka and their defence doesnt seem to have been improved despite a heavy outlay of some £9m.

To double them is great and to bury the hoodoo of a home team winning this derby was great.

Some praises abound. Well done to Dunny who Bolton seemed intent on kicking the shYte out from the first minute. Reidy and Co coped with the midfield battle although we clearly do need a holding midfielder. To see Bentley head a goal was great.

Not impressed with Clattenburg at all for this game. ALthough he made Rovers a generous decision with the first penalty, he couldnt wait to book Reid despite letting the fat Spanish waiter off for 3 tackles as well as Nolan for two nasty challenges. Speaking of Nolan, how did he stay on the field after that second challenge on Dunny ?

We roll on to St James Park with Keegan and co seemingly in turmoil. Another MGP handgoal would do us just nicely. :brfcsmilie:

Aren't Benni and Diouf good mates? I saw him trying to put him off, and Jussi was too. He just laughed at Diouf and winked at Jussi.

6 penalties in 4 games against them - that's madness. Remember when we went about 50 years without a penalty - give or take 48 years ish.

Dunno if they are good mates, it looked like there was some venom coming from Diouf, but i may be wrong. I did notice that Benni seemed very friendly with Campo, they had there arms around each other when they came out, and were chatting and laughing from what i saw on the sky highlights.

What was Warnock doing for Boltons goal ?

Has Warnock become a bit of a liability recently, is he the reason why Pedersen spends more time running backwards thus incurring the wrath of the fans whilst trying to cover for Warnock.

I agree - he has become weaker as the season has gone on and was the one player yesterday to have a poor game (except maybe Samba).

stephen warnock shouldnt even be marking kevin davies for set pieces-and it looked like he was..

im pleased for pedersen-he really looked up for it yesterday-hopefully he can continue it..when your a good player you dont all of a sudden become a bad player-some fans just need to lay off him..

mcarthy worked hard yesterday aswell-probably his performance for a number of months..

if we can get pedersen , mcarthy and nelsen all performing like we know they can, we can finish in the top 6..

Jaaskelainen was a right miserable so and so yesterday. He's another one who gets away with all sorts. Still, got his just deserts (after moaning at Morten and pushing him) when Morten scored!

One thing I noticed, not sure what to make of it. Diouf picked up our little mascot who had got a bit lost, took him over to the referee and assistants to shake their hands, then gently put him down and made sure he was in Bentley's care. Now Diouf can be a most unpleasant person as we all know, but the way he picked that child up........

Pity Jan wasn't there. She would have learned some new words that even Mark Hughes doesn't know from Mr Megson! At one time I thought I might have to get out Mr Roversmum's heart tablets for him!

Great afternoon though all things considered.

One thing I noticed, not sure what to make of it. Diouf picked up our little mascot who had got a bit lost, took him over to the referee and assistants to shake their hands, then gently put him down and made sure he was in Bentley's care. Now Diouf can be a most unpleasant person as we all know, but the way he picked that child up........

He probably realised there were 24000 witnesses :unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was worried at the beginning of the second half that Bolton's bully boys had started to get the upper hand - but in the end good football won the day.

I have never seen a game where a player has got away with so many repeated fouls, and yet both Dunn and Reid were booked for challenges far less severe than Campo got away with for the majority of the match. Can somebody also explain how Nolan didn't get a second yellow card when he brought down Dunn - for me the ref bottled it by booking Campo for dissent and ignoring Nolan.

MGP and McCarthy both looked far better today - some of MGP's crossing deserved better reward than they got.

One thing that I do ponder - the fluidity that we sometimes show in midfield - leads to chances (e.g MGP & Bentley both came into more central positions to score goals today) - but I do wonder if that leads to a certain amount of defensive dis-organisation. Far better to watch - but the number of times that I have seen more than one player attempting to clear the same ball is very worrying.

Special mention for Dunn and Reid - for periods of the match yesterday they showed good understanding (i.e. one attacking while one dropped into a more defensive midfield position). They controlled long periods - but MH needs to address what went wrong at the start of the second half - as imo it was in midfield that we were losing it. Longer term I do wonder about Dunn in the central role - as he doesn't have the pace to be a box-to-box midfield player that you need when playing with two wingers. However - he showed yesterday flashes of the sort of invention that set him apart during his first Rovers spell.

Archived