[Archived] Keith Andrews - Time He Went

Hughesy

685 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keith Stay or Go?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is wearing thin...

Keef has a decent game against Hull so people start comparing him to Robinho so they can have a dig.

Why can't people leave the lad alone? He's not ideal & he's far from world class, he know's that as well as we do but if he get's picked what can he do?

Why can't people leave the lad alone? He's not ideal & he's far from world class, he know's that as well as we do but if he get's picked what can he do?

I thought he had the right attitude in the interview after the game on Wednesday and he keeps on performing 100%. He isn't a world-beater but he's nowhere near as useless as some would make out.

I think this entire thread can be summed up in a couple of sentences:

Keef is a half-decent player who will play alright on his day. Nothing special, but does okay and is an adequate squad player. That's pretty much it.

Bad summary. He's crap. :lol:

Who by. The anonymous poster below the article? :D

The interview was done on Radio Rovers after the Hull game, when Wendy asked him about the booing. He did say that he didn't care what anyone thought about him, which to be fair is the right approach.

In these days of self-obsessed morons such as John Terry and Nani, players who struggle to find fault in themselves, it is good to see a player accept he has limitations and tried to work around them and work hard to get where he is at.

The above is a fact that seems to be lost on many of our fans, I'd rather have a fully committed Andrews than a spoilt prat like Nani :rover:

While I'm here - we may as well pick up where we left off :D So just to recap the whole basis of this argument:

You say Andrews is dire - worst player in a rovers shirt etc etc. I say he's a decent squad player. Where do we go there then because both opinions can't be right. Should we just carry on saying the same thing over and over hoping in some bizarre way that will make one of us right:

“He's crap”, “no he's not”, “I'm right”, “you're wrong”, “he's crap”, “no he's not”- ad infinitum and nauseum.

Or should we be adults and look at other clues as to who's right? Hence in a contrasting diagreement such as this, would it not be reasonable to see what the professionals think? Yes or no? If it's a yes, why is that a straw man argument? Surely it's the only logical thing to do. And what do the professionals think? Well every single professional opinion we have (be they managers, or journalists or even the stats) all very strongly indicate that he's a competent player. Importantly as well, there is no professional opinion out there which backs up your dire assessment – if you know any then please speak up because the Andrews bashers have been oddly mute until now when it comes to any professional judgement which backs up their dire assessment.

The obvious question is therefore; why should I possibly change my own assessment and believe your dire assessment when it flies in the face of all the professional opinion? Why should I even consider changing my assessment when you have categorically nothing to back it up, other than "he's crap because I say he is"? I'm sorry but that isn't enough for me.

Look at this from another perspective as well - can you think of any other player who was so "dire", yet inexplicably he was consistently called up for his country over other established premier league players? Can you also think of any other player who was so dire but inexplicably his value more than doubled? I’m guessing it would be too much to ask you to name a player where both things inexplicably happened like it has with Keith.

None of this makes any sense of course unless your dire assessment is wrong - that's the problem you have. But again please tell me why I should believe all the managers / journalists / stats are wrong and I should believe your assessment? Surely that can’t be that hard.

I've said this before but the problem with Andrews with most fans is clearly the halo effect (or more specifically the reverse halo effect):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

This is a scientifically proven psychological bias. If you are too daft to understand this concept and can't see how it applies here, then that's not my fault I’m afraid though :(

Incidentally, I see you are conveniently glossed over my question as to who is better Andrews or Rigters.

But.........he is crap.

But.........he is crap.

:lol:

people can say its the ince factor, and he's judged because of it etc, but that about sums it up. :lol:

its not his fault, yes he is a tryer, but he simply isn't good enough for this level.

1. He can put in a transfer request.

2. He can pull his finger whilst pointing akin to a hamstring injury.

3. He can now draw circles with his pointed finger and use his mouth a lot.

These are things he can do.

The one blatant thing he cannot do is this:=

HE CANNOT PLAY FOOTBALL

If only every player had an attitude like Keith Andrews

or

Why I'm in love with Keef

A story of unbridled passion

By jonnolad

Friday. A great day for those not working at the weekend, but for those of us in work Saturday and Sunday it is simply the calm before the storm.

Luckily for our dear reader this morning I am in a good mood today so I am going to have a go at highlighting the positives of a much maligned player - Keith Andrews.

Now don't get me wrong, Keith has been probably our worst player this season in terms of comparing players displays from last season to this but a recent interview that Keith conducted impressed me.

I am not going to dispute that, I do think he has a bit of Mark Atkins about him but sadly he has proven he is struggling to live up to the standards expected of Premier League life... but let's not go back down that route!

He stated that "he didn't care about the boo boys that get on his back, all he cared about was doing his best for Blackburn and proving himself when he gets a chance." Now that is not a direct quote I am simply summarising but he said words to that effect, words that shows he has the right mind - even if he doesn't have the right body to cope with top level football.

Now a lot of fans, like myself, dread when Andrews gets on the pitch in Blue and White. At best he is a limited, yet hard working player... at worst he is a detriment to the side with his inaccurate passing and indecisive tackling.

But here is the thing. It is not Keith's fault he isn't Robin Van Persie or Tugay, he can only roll with what he got given and he can only dance with the tools god gave him as my posse says from time to time (please note: I don't have an actual posse).

The thing for me is that, as proved by that snippet of a quote I gave earlier is that Keith has what a lot of players need and haven't got. If players who are more gifted than the mocked Irishman had that sort of "I don't care what you say, I'll just get on with it and prove you wrong" attitude then those who are closer to Pele would reach higher heights.

In these days of self-obsessed morons such as John Terry and Nani, players who struggle to find fault in themselves, it is good to see a player accept he has limitations and tried to work around them and work hard to get where he is at.

Yes, he still isn't very good but he sure as hell sets an example as far as attitude goes.

My biggest issue with Andrews is that he doesn't make himself useful and fly into tackles. His skill level isn't up to Premiership standards, but his athleticism is. There's nothing stopping him becoming an enforcer of sorts - instead he's Pedersen-esque in the tackle. If he truly wanted to make a go of it in the Prem he'd change his style of play.

My biggest issue with Andrews is that he doesn't make himself useful and fly into tackles. His skill level isn't up to Premiership standards, but his athleticism is. There's nothing stopping him becoming an enforcer of sorts - instead he's Pedersen-esque in the tackle. If he truly wanted to make a go of it in the Prem he'd change his style of play.

Seriously ER - he can't get close enough. He's slow. Watch him closely and you can see why so many lower league clubs have let him go.

I try not to watch him, it increases my enjoyment of the game. To me I've always thought it's due to him reading the game poorly rather than a lack of athleticism (or speed).

I'll keep an eye out for it though.

That's assuming he plays!

Seriously ER - he can't get close enough. He's slow. Watch him closely and you can see why so many lower league clubs have let him go.

This is very true, but it's a mixture of the two. He's too slow to get close to the ball and he isn't strong enough in the tackle. Pretty much the two most important qualities you would want in a midfielder who lacked any kind of passing ability or creativity, which is the case with Andrews.

Archived