BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Time He Went

Hughesy

685 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keith Stay or Go?

Before we go nuts Bolton clearly failed to put Keith under the right sort of pressure. They should ahve been playing in the air to Davies against Keith. Andrews would have had no chance. Bolton were amazingly ineffective going forward.

Keith did well enough, but realistically I would not say that you could judge him as a centreback as he was not stetched by Bolton.

I don't think anybody is calling for him to be a centre back. he simply did an adequate job when called upon against an underperforming attack. you can't ask for more than the task he was given so credit where credit is due, what he did he did well enough. nobody is going nuts.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's give credit to Paul Ince here.

He signed Andrews as a tough-tacking midfield player who can spray 60-yard passes and score 20 goals a season when all along he knew our Keef was really a ball-playing centre half libero in the mould of Franz Beckenbauer.

Genius.

Let's give credit to Paul Ince here.

He signed Andrews as a tough-tacking midfield player who can spray 60-yard passes and score 20 goals a season when all along he knew our Keef was really a ball-playing centre half libero in the mould of Franz Beckenbauer.

Genius.

It doesn't matter why he signed Andrews, the fact is he is here now and tring and fully warrants his place as a squad player. I'm quite sure his price has in fact gone up since joining us (given what we were offered in the summer).

In fairness, as much as Paul Ince screwed things up at Rovers, his transfer dealings weren't bad. Robinson and Grella were both good, if not very good signings. Danny Simpson and Robbie Fowler can be classed as bad signings in hindsight but i reckon they were worth the risk at the time, especially considering there was no transfer fee for either of them. Villanueva was worth a punt on loan but wasn't suited to us. Was good to see him though. Mark Bunn was hardly a big risk singing and we could well make money on him.

Are people even saying that? All I know is that for a weak PL midfielder, Andrews did well when moved out of position. It must said, though, that Givet played out of his skin, and the Grella/Nzonzi combination strengthened our midfield.

No, no-one is saying that Topman.

To be fair, KA doesn't have any of the required qualities to be a centre half though - does he? He's useless in the air, can't tackle or read the game well enough, isn't strong enough against the big lads etc, etc. He does try though and it's not his fault.

Keith for Centre half eh?

He'll never make a centre half as long as he lives. Come on fellas, aren't some of us guilty of combining Andrews' display at centre half with the fact that we kept a clean sheet? We seem to be forgetting that in fact Givet was the MOTM, dealing with pretty much everything of danger, Nzonzi covered superbly in front of Keith and Bolton have no threat whatsoever, proven by their goal drought going back over 500 minutes?

Amazing that those who thought Keith was a good midfielder, now think he is a good centre half. [awaits flak]. :P

No, but it proves the point of those of us who say he is a useful squad player.

If you want to blame anyone for his "poor" performances, blame the sicknotes who can't stay healthy enough to play (that's you, Mssrs Dunn, Grella and Reid).

Den....the Andrews obsessive.

In last 2 seasons he has always been fit.Name another midfielder we can say that about?

And we used to laugh at 'super-Atko' for being first to congratulate big Al when he scored.

Now we laugh at 'julie' for his pointing - we now have to also appreciate him for being a journeyman

who keeps trying and worth 2.5 mn of anyone's money this summer. Relax and enjoy the profit.

Nah, not obsessive mhead.

Just got a viewpoint that more and more people are beginning to agree with. If you want obsession look towards the KA leader who never posts on any other topic.

I agree though, he does keep fit.

I saw this on another site and found it amusing...

Keith Andrews : An Apology

Hi all, I, along with many (many, many) others, have been very harsh to Keith Andrews since he danced his jazzy hands into Ewood Park like a diddly Liza Minnelli....and with good reason. He is a mediocre footballer pitched into a league well above his standard (I know doesn't sound like an apology so far).

The reason I am now on the pro side of the long faced chap is that he is a proper footballer. Here is a guy who will play in any position he is asked to and will do the absolute best he can do, which may not be great but at the very least puts every last drop of enthusiasm and energy into it. He's played CM/DM/RW/RB/CB so far this season and not once has he said "It's not my best position" as an excuse for a bad performance. In this age when footballers ask for transfers because they're asked to play 2nd striker and not the main striker or they moan incessantly about being on the bench or the amount they get paid or they just don't look interested (Diouf), here is a man that exudes honesty.

Andrews is essentially what any of us would be like if Big Sam asked us to play for Rovers. A little bit pants but would play anywhere and do our very best despite our limitations. Therefore I, from here on in, will not say a bad word about Mr Andrews*. I ask you to join me in the Keith Jazzy Hands Support Group and from now until the end of the season to cheer him on at Ewood and not resort to posting about him being rubbish. He is every one of us in a Rovers shirt. Honest professional doing the best he can for the team.

COYB, Fat Elvis. *until the end of the season when I can dream of better players being bought.

I wonder how many people agree with this?

Hasta

that just has to be the biggest classic ever. A man who, in the colours of the shirt he wears and doesnt get the support he may crave, goes out and scores the winning goal against the hatred enemy, condemning them to the drop as well.

You couldnt write the script could you ?

Even me, his most fervent of detractors, he would have to be given the ultimate status of "legend" just for scoring against them.

I do sincerley hope he writes that piece of history. I would even wear his name on my shirt for a season if he did !!!

Hasta

that just has to be the biggest classic ever. A man who, in the colours of the shirt he wears and doesnt get the support he may crave, goes out and scores the winning goal against the hatred enemy, condemning them to the drop as well.

Even me, his most fervent of detractors, he would have to be given the ultimate status of "legend" just for scoring against them.

I do sincerley hope he writes that piece of history. I would even wear his name on my shirt for a season if he did !!!

Saving this one.

Hasta

You just did, didn't you?

Hasta

The only thing that would top it is if all the other players started pointing at him for a celebration.

Hasta

They'll probably have to order in the letter for you as I think I am the only other person (apart from Keith) who has Andrews on a Rovers shirt :lol:

I will however add the word "LEGEND" under the number 17 if and when this dream becomes a reality :rover:

It doesn't matter why he signed Andrews, the fact is he is here now and tring and fully warrants his place as a squad player. I'm quite sure his price has in fact gone up since joining us (given what we were offered in the summer).

In fairness, as much as Paul Ince screwed things up at Rovers, his transfer dealings weren't bad. Robinson and Grella were both good, if not very good signings. Danny Simpson and Robbie Fowler can be classed as bad signings in hindsight but i reckon they were worth the risk at the time, especially considering there was no transfer fee for either of them. Villanueva was worth a punt on loan but wasn't suited to us. Was good to see him though. Mark Bunn was hardly a big risk singing and we could well make money on him.

You are joking are you not? Fowler was not worth the risk and everyone on here told him so at the time. There may not have been a fee for Simpson but let's not forget the performances which were disastrous. Villanueva hardly played a Premier League game all season. Grella hardly played last season or this-did Ince bother with a medical? The guy lasted to half-time in his first game and was rarely seen again! And Andrews was a regular starter. Result---in the relegation zone in late November and 5 points from safety. Lets not forget either the players we sold. In conclusion Ince's transfer dealings WERE bad, very bad.

I imagine Villanueva was rushed and we probably would've considered keeping him if we had the money. I thought he just wasn't given a proper chance or grew disillusioned with life in England. I may be biased though because my good friend is Chilean, so he went on about him a lot.

I've said this on another thread, and have said it numerous times before, Andrews does not deserve derision from the fans or from anyone. He has shown amazing character and determination to move from League Two into the Premier League and do his best to keep his place in the first team and become a regular in the Ireland squad. He also keeps trying even when he's not in the first team and he has to be respected for that.

Archived