BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I don't have a twitter account but have found out that I don't need to to be able look at it. I have spent far too much time on this page over the past few days;

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert

I think that it's absolutely brilliant. 

One of my favourite accounts that I follow, definitely. Great content all round. Also enjoy Adam Hurrey (@FootballCliches) and Duncan Alexander (@oilysailor) but yep, the account you mention is brilliant.

20 hours ago, frosty said:

One of my favourite accounts that I follow, definitely. Great content all round. Also enjoy Adam Hurrey (@FootballCliches) and Duncan Alexander (@oilysailor) but yep, the account you mention is brilliant.

It's superb. I grew up watching football Italia, Saint and Greavsie, The Match with Elton Welsby on ITV, and then the Premier League so it's right up my street.

I'll have a look at the others. 

On 27/01/2022 at 01:58, Miker said:

Anyone been watching the AFCON? Makes the standard of refereeing in the Championship look world class.

I haven't followed international football closely at all but my impression, which could be far off, is that African national teams haven't developed as some had thought they might. Nigeria and Cameroon, for example, were so impressive in the past that some were predicting that they could be compete for the World Cup one day. 

Nigeria used to produce explosive, skilful forwards like Yakubu, Aghahowa and Martins,  but I don't see it really in their current squad. I wonder if the formation of European-style academies, earlier player recruitment and more formalised approaches, have changed anything - or, whether, it's just a random phase. Perhaps, societal changes might play a role too, with less opportunities for street football.

Edit: Perhaps a distinction exists regionally for example, sub-Saharan Africa and northern countries. 

Edited by riverholmes

On 28/01/2022 at 08:19, riverholmes said:

I haven't followed international football closely at all but my impression, which could be far off, is that African national teams haven't developed as some had thought they might. Nigeria and Cameroon, for example, were so impressive in the past that some were predicting that they could be compete for the World Cup one day. 

Nigeria used to produce explosive, skilful forwards like Yakubu, Aghahowa and Martins,  but I don't see it really in their current squad. I wonder if the formation of European-style academies, earlier player recruitment and more formalised approaches, have changed anything - or, whether, it's just a random phase. Perhaps, societal changes might play a role too, with less opportunities for street football.

Edit: Perhaps a distinction exists regionally for example, sub-Saharan Africa and northern countries. 

Africas problems are more related to off-pitch issues.  Most if not all federations have abysmal management.  When the world cup rolls around, many squads are mired in problems ranging from unpaid bonuses/salaries to political interference to intrasquad squabbling to last minute coaching changes.  They have talented individuals but many countries cant seem to gel as a team or let go of egos. 

South America has similar issues but on  a smaller scale.  But these problems have meant the difference betwee getting to a world cup semi-finals or finals and winning it.  

On 01/02/2022 at 12:33, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Our old boy Goodwillie aka the new Wayne Rooney, isn't going down well at Raith Rovers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60214769

He's been unsigned by them now. After uproar from fans, media etc theyve decided not to sign him. Cant see anyone taking him on now. 

I suspect Greenwood will go the same way if found guilty, which based on the voice recording is pretty clear. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, benhben said:

He's been unsigned by them now. After uproar from fans, media etc theyve decided not to sign him. Cant see anyone taking him on now. 

I suspect Greenwood will go the same way if found guilty, which based on the voice recording is pretty clear. 

Greenwood would be a loss of millions, Goodwillie not so much. Greed will play a part in Greenwoods footballing future.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, benhben said:

Just seen that. What a sorry episode. His best bet is to bugger off abroad. As will Greenwood's one day too, you would imagine.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Ched Evans still playing in the championship and he was convicted by a jury and served time. If the player is good there will always be a club willing to employ them. 

He was acquitted and overturned at retrial. 

Not making a defence of him, just in strict legal terms he's now declared innocent. 

Obviously, will be very different situation if Greenwood is declared guilty, serves time, and then a club decides to sign him.

If the current charges hold up, that club would be signing a confirmed rapist. 

9 minutes ago, Silas said:

He was acquitted and overturned at retrial. 

Not making a defence of him, just in strict legal terms he's now declared innocent. 

Obviously, will be very different situation if Greenwood is declared guilty, serves time, and then a club decides to sign him.

If the current charges hold up, that club would be signing a confirmed rapist. 

Yep. Not gonna happen in England with the fans here etc. IF convicted.

Can't see who takes Goodwillie either given the PR around this.

• Like 1

I'll put this here as we don't have a footballers on rape charges thread. How bad does that sound?

Greenwood looks to be in a whole world of trouble. It's hard to to presume guilt before a trial but it's looking pretty damning for him. Another blot on his character is that Southgate kicked him out of the England squad last year. He and Foden broke Covid rules by bringing a couple of Icelandic girls back to their hotel. What does that say about the standing his girlfriend has with him?

Benjamin Mendy is in deep water but is getting less attention. 

Can the Everton player who got arrested last summer be named? It's all gone quiet with him. 

As to Ched Evans, his conviction was overturned at trial; BBC - Ched Evans not guilty

Not to be a moralist but he had a girlfriend (maybe fiance?) at the time and asked his mate if he could "join in" with him and another girl. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Can the Everton player who got arrested last summer be named? It's all gone quiet with him. 

Yeah people, sorry to be a pain, but whilst there is information online about this, i note it's all from websites overseas.

So i suspect there may be some form of injunction on it in this Country. 

Even though most people know who it is, best just to refer to him as that Everton player on the forum please.

Thanks. 

• Backroom

I would normally get mad at players earning 100's of thousands a week acting like this, but tbh I can't blame Bale on this one. 

He's basically watching someone go through exactly what he's had for years, and can't do anything but laugh about it. 

Some of the press are painting it as Bale "laughing at" Hazard. Don't see it that way. Reckon he's laughing with him. He's thinking, yep, been there mate, I feel you.  

4 hours ago, rigger said:

I see the UK and the republic of ireland have put in a joint bid for the EUROs. Why do we need to involve the republic of ireland. We have enough stadia in the UK to stage the competition.

Why involve Scotland or Wales.  Would rather have an England bid. The Scots and Welsh hate us. Their forums are always full of anti English bollocks.  Scotland Wales Ireland should have a Celtic nations bid

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Why involve Scotland or Wales.  Would rather have an England bid. The Scots and Welsh hate us. Their forums are always full of anti English bollocks.  Scotland Wales Ireland should have a Celtic nations bid

Because they are part of the UK.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 07:33, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Our old boy Goodwillie aka the new Wayne Rooney, isn't going down well at Raith Rovers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-60214769

This is some correction from Sky Sports regarding Goodwillie; Sky Sports apology - Goodwillie is a rapist not a racist