BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

42 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm not doubting that there are dodgy UEFA officials. 

What I am saying is that referees are not on the take. Both the on pitch and in room VAR officials are making colossal errors due to one second guessing the other leading to indecision. There isn't a Mr. Big at UEFA HQ telling them what decisions to make to influence games. Nor are the Emiratis, Saudi, Qataris, and other big pocketed owners showering referees with jewels.

In years past it has happened. Marseille. The dodgy Belgian (I think) ref from years back who admitted taking bribes. Franco's influence on Real Madrid teams, and who knows what the former iron curtain teams were up to in the 70's and 80's. 

The amount of money in European football, and the blanket prevalence of gambling makes it too much of a risk to upset it.  

If the case is, that the refs are not on the take, then it must be put down to them being shit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no fan of Uefa or FIFA but it's time to stand up against these clubs. Kick them all out of the domestic leagues and ban the players from the Euros, World Cup etc. The English clubs will be involved, as they're all owned by Americans, Arabs or whoever, and don't have any connection with fans. A seat that would have been occupied by a person who had a season ticket for the last 25 years, will be taken up by a rich Chinese student, or tourist on a day out. 

This Euro super league is the logical conclusion to constant kowtowing and appeasing to rich bullies.

The best thing that can happen is - much like players going to Saudi - football lets anyone interested go and doesn't let them back. Football in this country would be significantly better without the lot of em. 

• Like 3

The helplessness of Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton Town in the Prem makes me think that the English Closed Shop League is almost here. Newly promoted clubs seem to barely able to compete - even when an established club is docked points for rules violation. If at least two of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton go back up, which looks a real possibility, the Closed Shop will be basically intact again. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

English football wouldnt be as good without the big hitters in my opinion if it does escalate to that.

I have never been able to get my head around this concept where you @J*B would not welcome being in the Premier League from a footballing perspective. I want Rovers to be playing the best teams they can possibly face.

I'd love to be in the Premier League, but not at the expense of being competitive. The gap between the 'big' clubs and 'the rest' is widening like never before, lower level clubs (especially Northern ones) just cannot compete with (mostly) foreign billions. 

I'd be much happier to see the back of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs to a European Super League and have a 20-team Premier League. It would be far more competitive and Rovers could realistically have a place at that level. We're absolutely miles off being competitive at the top level nowadays, as Burnley, Luton and Sheff Utd are proving. Ask your local Dingle how much fun they're all having this year - the answer is they're not!

• Like 2

Surely having a year in the PL would be great for the club regardless as we’d come down a far stronger outfit  - case in point the Dingles are a top Championship team when down here despite the fact their crowds, revenues etc are nothing to write home about. Parachute payments are absolute game changers.

20 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

The helplessness of Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton Town in the Prem makes me think that the English Closed Shop League is almost here. Newly promoted clubs seem to barely able to compete - even when an established club is docked points for rules violation. If at least two of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton go back up, which looks a real possibility, the Closed Shop will be basically intact again. 

You say that, but recent seasons have seen plenty of promoted sides do well and even go on to establish themselves as midtable/top-half sides.

Luton aren't a great example as they weren't even great by Championship standards and basically needed 20+ players to be a Premier League side. Burnley have spent poorly and refuse to play sensible football. Sheffield United are just your standard promoted side. 

• Like 1

Even forgetting the financial side, surely just watching Rovers play against the best in the world is a bigger buzz than watching us play against crap.

It can be done, the whole system does need looking at but this seasons sides are particularly bad. Sheffield United are not your typical promoted side, they had off the field issues leading to them being weaker than last season, they had to sell Ndiaye and Berge. Burnley have just wasted their money, Forest spent much more wisely last season, and Luton are not equipped as a club for it. Its harder but it can be done.

Defeats the purpose of wanting promotion if you dont want the reward.

It would be underwhelming if the likes of Everton and West Ham became the giants of the domestic game, and ultimately things are relative so they would become stronger in the absence of the bigger sides.

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even forgetting the financial side, surely just watching Rovers play against the best in the world is a bigger buzz than watching us play against crap.

It can be done, the whole system does need looking at but this seasons sides are particularly bad. Sheffield United are not your typical promoted side, they had off the field issues leading to them being weaker than last season, they had to sell Ndiaye and Berge. Burnley have just wasted their money, Forest spent much more wisely last season, and Luton are not equipped as a club for it. Its harder but it can be done.

Defeats the purpose of wanting promotion if you dont want the reward.

It would be underwhelming if the likes of Everton and West Ham became the giants of the domestic game, and ultimately things are relative so they would become stronger in the absence of the bigger sides.

Everton and West Ham have already been giants of our domestic league.