BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley Relegation Watch

Gav

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching MoTD they highlighted the dingle walking out and smashing his fist onto the exit wall in (to paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel) his anger and his rage.

.......... I bet both his little fingers are throbbing like hell this morning! :lol:

A Forest supporting mate was listening to it on the radio and texted me saying a few had been doing it and one had broken his hand.

Which of his 6 fingers hurts the most? :mellow:

Jimbo lad, how can you sympathise with the dingles?

I sympathise with Burnley because they are a Lancashire town club, and I would rather they stayed up than the likes of West Ham. The days are long gone IMO when you wanted your local rivals relegated. I wish Preston, Burnley and Blackpool were in the Prem too.

I sympathise with Burnley because they are a Lancashire town club, and I would rather they stayed up than the likes of West Ham. The days are long gone IMO when you wanted your local rivals relegated. I wish Preston, Burnley and Blackpool were in the Prem too.

Couldn't agree more. Yes we want to beat them all obviously but it adds a new and better dimension having your local rivals in the same division.

i think it's quite the opposite. wanting good things for your rivals seems like quite an old fashioned view and i haven't met many people under 40 who share your views. i reckon there'd be a higher percentage of posters over 40 who wanted them to stop up than posters under 40. just because you believe something doesn't mean 'those days are long gone'.

Well said Jim. I 100% agree and have said so many times on various threads in the past. I take a certain amount of satisfaction in the sure and certain knowledge that the days of the PL are numbered, and after the big collapse and scuttling off of the cash mad rats, the town clubs i.e. Rovers and the others you have mentioned will still be around and ready to compete again on whatever level playing field arises out of the ashes of the PL disaster. I wish I could say the same for the "big clubs" but there is little chance of any of them surviving. They will all have to first recover from their debts and then reform and start again at the bottom of the football hierarchy. And it serves them right!

I hope they go down and we don't play them again for a very long time. I'd love to see them languishing back in the bottom tier of English football all giddy cos the big derby with Stanley is upon them.

On the other hand I don't mind if Preston and Blackpool come up. That would be great for Lancashire and some great derbys to look forward to. But I hope that lot rot in footballing hell.

Burnley are - for 5 more weeks! ;)

I agree with your point though - much rather have derbies with some passion and meaning in full houses against local sides, than non-event games in front of half-empty stadiums playing the likes of Fulham, Portsmouth, Wolves etc.

I take a certain amount of satisfaction in the sure and certain knowledge that the days of the PL are numbered

The sooner the better for me. Ironically I enjoyed going to Rovers far more when we were in the old 2nd Division with an average team in a crap stadium! Going to games these days seems so corporate, sanitised and soulless. Back in those days it wasn't simply a case of the richest clubs being automatically the most successful - and the Champs League money is just making it worse and widening the gap every year. People say that Man City will break the top 4 but will that really make a difference? After all with their owners do they really need any more money?

The sooner the better for me. Ironically I enjoyed going to Rovers far more when we were in the old 2nd Division with an average team in a crap stadium! Going to games these days seems so corporate, sanitised and soulless. Back in those days it wasn't simply a case of the richest clubs being automatically the most successful - and the Champs League money is just making it worse and widening the gap every year. People say that Man City will break the top 4 but will that really make a difference? After all with their owners do they really need any more money?

If anything it will help things. I'd rather the teams who didn't need the money got into the champions league, that way it brings a team like liverpool who will struggle without that money closer to the rest of us. it would be much worse if we had four teams getting champs league money AND city taking up a europa place but having all the money as well.

I take a certain amount of satisfaction in the sure and certain knowledge that the days of the PL are numbered, and after the big collapse and

The appalling Champions League funded by Sky cash is to blame for the imbalances in English top flight football. Until the Champions League farago is challenged in law, the likes of Rovers (and Burnley) will never be able to compete effectively.

West Ham losing BTW.

• Backroom

I think it will go down to the wire because all 3 teams look crap. The only thing is burnley are effectively 2 games behind west ham due to goal difference. If west ham can beat Sunderland at home next week and burnely fail to win it could spell the game for them.

At least we should be mathematically safe before we play next that's always nice to know

Wigan still in bother at the bottom, four points clear of the drop zone. The Latics' remaining games are: Portsmouth (H), Arsenal (H), West Ham (A), Hull (H), Chelsea (A)... per the BBC

Makes things interesting down there.

I guess we'll have to settle for Blackpool replacing the dingles to keep the Lancashire quotient next season.

On the other hand I don't mind if Preston and Blackpool come up.

Mmmmm,not too sure about Preston Hasta,their fans appear to have bigger chips on their shoulders than Clarrotts when it come to Rovers....pure jealousy!

Blackpool have had it harder than most so dont mind them tbh.

I'd really hate it if Knob-Enders ever got into the Premier League. All we hear, living here, is how they are 'much bigger than Blackburn', 'have more fans than Blackburn', and that they are 'sleeping giants'. They are generally much more up their own back-sides than most local rivals. And for that reason, and because I had a mate who was a Blackpool fan, I'd love to see Blackpool make it. It would be highly entertaining to have Ian Holloway in the Premier League too. :D

The shocking thing, from a Burnley perspective, is their complete lack of fight. Whatever their issues with the manager or each other, they couldn't even motivate themselves for the local derby, and imploded spectacularly against Man. City.

I'd really hate it if Knob-Enders ever got into the Premier League. All we hear, living here, is how they are 'much bigger than Blackburn', 'have more fans than Blackburn', and that they are 'sleeping giants'. They are generally much more up their own back-sides than most local rivals. And for that reason, and because I had a mate who was a Blackpool fan, I'd love to see Blackpool make it. It would be highly entertaining to have Ian Holloway in the Premier League too. :D

I too live in Preston, I hear a lot of crap about the size of the club - whatever that means.

A few years ago PNE supporting mate of mine said that if we where in the same division they would have much bigger gates than rovers, needless to say I reminded him that only a few years previously we were and had a larger average attendance as well as beating them home and away.

There is a cockiness in the support, I cant for the life of me work out what its based on.

The shocking thing, from a Burnley perspective, is their complete lack of fight. Whatever their issues with the manager or each other, they couldn't even motivate themselves for the local derby, and imploded spectacularly against Man. City.

If Burnley or any team for that matter play like Burnley did in the first 15 minutes v Man city they will never survive in any league. That really was an embarrassment to lancashire yesterday.

Archived