BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

Bringing on Rochina tonight was a big, big mistake. I don't blame Rochina, he's a young lad being inexplicably played out of position and put under huge pressure to perform for us in a relegation battle. It should have been Pedersen coming on for Dunn - he's shown he can be effective in centre-mid and it would have been nice to have had somebody on the pitch in the last 20 minutes who can take a halfway decent set-piece.

think its been stated before that Rochina best position is Attacking midfield, also for the most part his set pieces where very good, basicy put the ball on phil Jones forehead. SK can only go on what he see in training, IMO for this game there was not much to fault SK with.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think its been stated before that Rochina best position is Attacking midfield, also for the most part his set pieces where very good, basicy put the ball on phil Jones forehead. SK can only go on what he see in training, IMO for this game there was not much to fault SK with.

How can he be an attacking midfielder though when he can't defend to save his life? Attacking midfield is still midfield and all midfielders have to mark, tackle, track runners and get up and down. He doesn't look a bad player but playing him attacking midfield is an absolute liability. Surely he's better operating off a big front man? The performance was good tonight but yet again a major tactical blunder has cost us, it sums Kean up for me, amatuerish.

Stats don't lie or have an agenda.

No wins in 11 (from January, soon to be May), worst run for 30 years.

It is horrific.

That we are not already relegated is a testiment to how shyte the teams below us must be.We really are scraping the bottom of the barrell with this clown in charge

:angry2:

Eleven matches without a win says it all really. A manager is judged on results, not his positive thinking, not is ability to work long hours and certainly not on his ability to give a good presser. Tactically, Kean is out thought in every match and his substitutions go from bad to worse. This guy actually makes Jim Iley seem like a decent manager! Is it any wonder that Mrs Desai and her family are a national laughing stock when an experienced manager is shown the door so that this puppet can be given the job. It breaks my heart to say it, but we deserve all that we are likely to get over the next few weeks. If ever a club pushed the self-destruct button it's us.

I felt bit sorry for him, normally I just hate him, but he looked human this time.

I can't have any sympathy for a man for is so far out of his depth and yet still continues to take the money and run a club he "cares" about into the ground.

Should have done the honourable thing and left when Sam did.

Thanks for relegating us Steve.

I can't have any sympathy for a man for is so far out of his depth and yet still continues to take the money and run a club he "cares" about into the ground.

Should have done the honourable thing and left when Sam did.

Thanks for relegating us Steve.

It's better to see him suffering it was worse when he was doing post interviews acting like nothing to worry about, he looked emotional and shaken to me.

Funny enough I'm giving him Bolton anything other then a win and my hate levels win return.

I never truely thought we would beat City anyway

Thought we played well last night, and Kean couldn't be blamed for anything that happened, and the players are still trying for him, however his record speaks for itself. It just isn't happening for him.

One thing that struck me last night is that Kean is certainly not a "lucky" manager regardless of his merits. We've had a huge number of dubious decisions cost us points in recent weeks and aren't really getting any breaks ourselves.

I think it's time to explore the possibility of bringing in an experienced "name" manager until the end of the season - if one will come. A change of face might just bring a change in fortune as well as galvanising the team.

Anything is worth a try in our current situation.

Thought we played well last night, and Kean couldn't be blamed for anything that happened, and the players are still trying for him, however his record speaks for itself. It just isn't happening for him.

Kean puts an inexperienced striker in midfield.

Striker dallies with the ball and loses it.

City score.

I think it's time to explore the possibility of bringing in an experienced "name" manager until the end of the season - if one will come. A change of face might just bring a change in fortune as well as galvanising the team.

I've been thinking the same myself. Three managers in season is a recipe for disaster but as thats were we are heading anyway we might as well try to shock the patient back from the brink.

Didn't Terry Venables do some decent firefighting at Boro? I know thats a bit leftfield but decent candidates will hardly be queueing around the block for the Rovers gig just now.

'Not a lucky manager', what does that even mean?

The fact he is managing in the PL says he is 'lucky'. Not winning a single game in 11 has nothing to do with luck, neither does putting a raw forward into midfield against the likes of De Jong and Toure with the game in the balance.

Incompetent record, incompetent decisons, incompetent manager.

One thing that struck me last night is that Kean is certainly not a "lucky" manager regardless of his merits. We've had a huge number of dubious decisions cost us points in recent weeks and aren't really getting any breaks ourselves.

Anything is worth a try in our current situation.

Tactically he went into the game with a formation that was always going to be outgunned in midfield because of our lack of numbers. Two up front and Dunny behind, was always going to leave the midfield completely exposed. Both de Jong and Barry were able to have time on the ball because we hadn't got the numbers to press.

Once again his substitutions made little impact, indeed, quite the reverse.

Kean has now had 17 games in charge and has managed just 14 points. More worrying is the fact that since the end of January we have gained four points from ten games. The fact that Venkys still see this guy as the future for the club shows just out of touch with reality these people really are. Many people who attacked Allardyce often stated that anyone could keep the Rovers up. Clearly Desai and her brothers have found a man who can't. If, by some fluke of results, we survive this season what hope is there for the future under this guy?

Unfortunately Rev, I think it's far too late to make a change now. The change should have come after the debacle at Aston Villa. It's clear that the Rai family are not going to admit they got it wrong and probably have no grasp of the consequences of relegation.

Even if they ditch Kean in the summer, I'm struggling to think of a manager who would wish to work for Venkys. I suppose if we go down we might be able to get an up and coming manager from the lower divisions to step in.

Fully agree with that, the manager got things spot on last night, and if he had any luck at all, it would be bad luck I'm sure.

Not only was the decision to appoint Kean on a full time basis extremely premature, the decision to appoint John 'Faxe' Jensen as his number two was wrong as well. I think we could have lived with Kean had he had a vastly experienced assistant who had character enough to let Kean know when he was being inexperienced and doing silly tactical mistakes like the Dunn-Rochina substitution last night.

How much compensation will Venky's have to pay Kean for offering him such a lengthy contract? Why Venky's did not let him stay on a contract until the end of the season is beyond me.

doing silly tactical mistakes like the Dunn-Rochina substitution last night.

Dunn was almost on the floor, completely knackered and had stopped running, the change had to be made. Rochina was like for like. I’ve no complaints over that, thought Kean got it spot on, but we all see things differently.

Kean got most things right last night (even though I thought that 4-4-2 at the start of the game was not the way to go, but happy to admit that it worked) but he got the crucial decision wrong, replacing Dunn with Rochina, at 0-0 he needed to bring on Pedersen, who has experience of playing in central areas. Rochina has a heck of a lot of ability but he is not a central midfielder.

One thing is for sure is that the players are giving everything for him, you could not fault the effort and desire that the players showed last night, if we do the same again against Bolton and with a little bit of luck we can get out of this situation.

Dunn was almost on the floor, completely knackered and had stopped running, the change had to be made. Rochina was like for like. I’ve no complaints over that, thought Kean got it spot on, but we all see things differently.

How was that sopt on? Rochina is not a midfielder, at best he could be described as an attacking midflieder that plays in the "hole", but Dunn was more or less playing centre mid last night, a lot deeper than Rochina.

Granted, Dunn needed to come off, but Pedersen or Hanley(with Jones moving to Midfield) were better options, he left the midfield, their biggest strength, wide open and we paid for it by not even getting what would have been a massive point from the game.

Archived