SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean got most things right last night (even though I thought that 4-4-2 at the start of the game was not the way to go, but happy to admit that it worked) but he got the crucial decision wrong, replacing Dunn with Rochina, at 0-0 he needed to bring on Pedersen, who has experience of playing in central areas. Rochina has a heck of a lot of ability but he is not a central midfielder.

One thing is for sure is that the players are giving everything for him, you could not fault the effort and desire that the players showed last night, if we do the same again against Bolton and with a little bit of luck we can get out of this situation.

The performance was a lot better than v everton. I think he replaced dunn with rochina because he thought - right or wrongly - he would have a better chance to score than pedersen. Could have gone 433, but would have screwed us also. Well I hope both Junir and pedersen will be available for bolton. The fat lady is still singing.

There was a certain pleasure in seeing Kean clearly suffering in his interview after the match but I can tell him the hurt he may be feeling in nothing compared to the pain and anguish he has inflicted on Rovers supporters. Even more galling is that in the unlikely event he is sacked he will walk away with £x millions in compensation and be set up for life.

Funny how some people are saying he should be replaced now when it really is too late rather than 4 or 5 matches agao when it was patently obvious which way the season was going and a new man might have been able to make a difference.

Kean got most things right last night (even though I thought that 4-4-2 at the start of the game was not the way to go, but happy to admit that it worked) but he got the crucial decision wrong, replacing Dunn with Rochina, at 0-0 he needed to bring on Pedersen, who has experience of playing in central areas. Rochina has a heck of a lot of ability but he is not a central midfielder.

One thing is for sure is that the players are giving everything for him, you could not fault the effort and desire that the players showed last night, if we do the same again against Bolton and with a little bit of luck we can get out of this situation.

The part I don't understand is do all his staff agree with his decisions or do they say when they think he's barking? We all come up wth crazy idea's from time to time and believe they are right, but that's when you need your team to step in and tell you you're mental. Did they? Did he ignore them? Who knows.

But yesterday just goes to show the difference a strong support team can make for me.

We failed to score again and lost the match again which indicates that Kean got it very wrong (again).

We have a lame-duck manager and lame-duck owners and it is possible that we won't win another point.

Heads need to come out of the sand.

We failed to score again and lost the match again which indicates that Kean got it very wrong (again).

Nonsense Jim, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say City are miles better than we are, I'm no Kean fan but he got things right last night.

Dunn was almost on the floor, completely knackered and had stopped running, the change had to be made. Rochina was like for like. I’ve no complaints over that, thought Kean got it spot on, but we all see things differently.

We do all see things differently.

As the Dunn / Rochina substitution was being made, my son sat next to me said "surely that is very risky Dad"..."Dunn is playing centre mid, not in the hole"...."How will Rochina compete with de Jong and Barry"...."It should be MGP coming on".

You are quite right Gav, we do all see things differently. My son is 16 and has never managed a Premier League football club before.

I thought Kean got most things right last night. Its not a level playing field after all.Its not as if a manager can be guaranteed to bridge the gulf between City's squad on his own is it? Can be done occasionally but you couldn't rely on it. In the final analysis, we'll go down, not because we failed to beat City last night but because we failed to beat any of Blackpool, Birmingham,Stoke,West Ham,Newcastle and the rest at home.

The decision to dump Diouf came back to haunt us too. We were crying out for a mid-fielder who could retain the ball, give the defence a breather and allow numbers to get up with play.Bloody daft decision that one.

I thought Kean got most things right last night. Its not a level playing field after all.Its not as if a manager can be guaranteed to bridge the gulf between City's squad on his own is it? Can be done occasionally but you couldn't rely on it. In the final analysis, we'll go down, not because we failed to beat City last night but because we failed to beat any of Blackpool, Birmingham,Stoke,West Ham,Newcastle and the rest at home.

The decision to dump Diouf came back to haunt us too. We were crying out for a mid-fielder who could retain the ball, give the defence a breather and allow numbers to get up with play.Bloody daft decision that one.

Absolutely agree about Diouf. I was shocked about Diouf going and while it hasn't been too much of a problem with Hoilett available now we are absolutely toothless.

Diouf can deliver quality balls from wide, hold up the ball and defend well which none of our other wide midfielders save Junior provide. He can also provide a better set piece than anyone bar maybe Pedersen if he is on form.

Dunn was almost on the floor, completely knackered and had stopped running, the change had to be made. Rochina was like for like. I’ve no complaints over that, thought Kean got it spot on, but we all see things differently.

Rochina for Dunn was like for like? :blink:

Rochina for Dunn was like for like? :blink:

Attacking midfield players, Dunn has played the Rochina role many times hasn't he?

Just the way I saw things, and I'd much rather have Rochina on for the last 20minutes than Pedersen who's finally been found out.

Attacking midfield players, Dunn has played the Rochina role many times hasn't he?

Just the way I saw things, and I'd much rather have Rochina on for the last 20minutes than Pedersen who's finally been found out.

He should have bought on Pedersen last night.

but we did miss Hoilett badly and if roberts had scored than we would have win last night.

We are in danger again of losing sight of the cold, stark facts in the face of a battling second half display, just as what happened after the Arsenal performance.

The facts are:

No win from ten and just four points.

We are now drinking in the last chance saloon and we are on a wing and a prayer.

IMO, Kean tactically got it wrong last night both with his starting formation and his Dunn / Rochina substitution.

Noticed Formica on the bench - that, IMO, is Kean's way of trying to sidetrack and keep the focus off, IMO, one almighty balls-up of an expensive signing. There was no way that lad was going to get on last night.

I said weeks and weeks ago, we would miss EHD, and, my goodness, didn't we miss his experience, craft, guile and ball retention skills last night. Emerton v EHD, no contest. The EHD decision alone sums-up Kean's lack of backbone and incompetence.

This is going round and round in circles - yet again, no win and no much need point(s).

We are running out of games and will have be extremely lucky, IMO, to avoid relegation.

All because we have an inept manager who is no where near good enough to be managing a Premier League club at this moment in time.

Just heard in an interview that Kean is sure of points on sat, he better be right.

losing is unthinkable

Who was the interview with Chris?

I'm glad he's sure, thats a big relief. Has anyone told Owen Coyle? He may as well only bring a shadow squad, no point in risking his best players, what with Kean being sure.

We are in danger again of losing sight of the cold, stark facts in the face of a battling second half display, just as what happened after the Arsenal performance.

The facts are:

No win from ten and just four points.

We are now drinking in the last chance saloon and we are on a wing and a prayer.

IMO, Kean tactically got it wrong last night both with his starting formation and his Dunn / Rochina substitution.

Noticed Formica on the bench - that, IMO, is Kean's way of trying to sidetrack and keep the focus off, IMO, one almighty balls-up of an expensive signing. There was no way that lad was going to get on last night.

I said weeks and weeks ago, we would miss EHD, and, my goodness, didn't we miss his experience, craft, gule and ball retention skills last night. Emerton v EHD, no contest. The EHD decision alone sums-up Kean's lack of backbone and incompetence.

Yup. Pretty obvious stuff, but fully correct.

Those stating Kean got it spot on last night must have watched us win.

4-4-2 gifting play to a team struggling away from home for 30 minutes was ridiculous allowing them to settle fully and dictate play.

Benjani and Roberts together upfront! Highlighted by how little they troubled Kompany and Lescott and Hart all match.

Rochina for Dunn. Instead of Rochina for Roberts. Crazy. Very costly and blatantly obvious at the time it was the wrong call.

Niko for Benjani. No problem with Niko coming on, but Benjani was contributing far more than Roberts and for me this was also a very strange call.

I miss EHD also.

Games against the likes of Man City we are at a major disadvantage and expected to lose. However, due to the shocking results against teams we are expected to beat and the lack of points gained, has forced us into requiring points off all we now play whether unrealistic or not.

Having run City and Chelsea close, drawn at Arsenal and beaten Liverpool this season, coupled with tremendous home results against bigger teams last year, demonstrates fully that we have the players that can perform at the very highest level on their day.

Recognising this, further highlights the incompetence of Steve Kean, who has been unable to use these players effectively to gain points against even the worst teams in the Division.

The title of this thread is Steve Kean - Should he stay or go?

14 points from 51 available.

Work it out for yourselves.

Just heard in an interview that Kean is sure of points on sat, he better be right.

losing is unthinkable

I'm sure Owen Coyle will have loved to hear that and will tell his Bolton players accordingly.

The man (Kean) is a first-class idiot.

Losing is more than likely.

Whats been found out about him? That he's top of our assists and near the top of our goalscorers again just like he is every season? That he's done this despite having only started 26 games? That at the very worst he's a carbon-copy of Emerton with set-piece ability?

Rochina isn't an attacking midfielder, he's a support striker who's plays off the main front man. Bergkamp, Sheringham, Rooney, etc, that position. Dunn can play both positions but Rochina can only play one and it wasn't the position Dunn was playing last night. I'm totally baffled that you still think its a good idea to play him there having just seen blatant evidence to the contrary.

MSN I saw it on he said:

he said he was disappointed with ref'ing decisions and doesn't like to moan about them, it was offside, we should have had pen but then said Kalanic made it hard by staying on his feet.

That we have now lost our excellent Ewood record which saw only 1 defeat all year (almost suggesting that this is a blip).

the players tried so hard they have nothing left, there is nothing more he can ask of the lads, they are gutted, good performance. didn't create enough though.

Asked what would losing again mean?

He said that losing two games in a row a home would be a huge mental blow for the players, but he has a great group and is sure we will get points against Bolton " I don't think we will have a defeat against Bolton".

all because venkys had no ###### plan and no ###### balls

For Venkys relegation is probably a tax right off. For me it would be nothing short of a football disaster. We would never bounce back. Watch the highly paid advisors bail out after they take a cut of Keans sacking compensation.

Archived