BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Non-Rovers Transfers

Glenn

I don't see any reason their playing philosophy won't bring success. All they're short of is experienced quality in key positions. Keeper, centre half, defensive mid, and they could probably do with a prolific striker who doesn't get injured all the time too. Then I think they could certainly win the league playing that way. But year on year, Wenger refuses to address those positions despite claiming to have money if he wishes to spend it.

Against the big sides, Arsenal just pass the ball to death on the half way line. When they do go forward, they commit far too many men and just get picked off on the counter. It happens again and again. Also, when they do get in threatening areas, they either elect to pass rather than shoot and there is just no clinical finishing.

Against the small teams, there is no physicality to their play and they often get muscled out of games.

Of course, there will be a number of thrashings and great games to watch, but also far too many draws and defeats.

Furthermore, their playing philosophy ties in with their youth and transfer policy. Rather than bring in experienced and physically and mentally strong players, they elect to go for kids who, while extremely talented, have none of the afore-mentioned attributes.

The likes of Man United, Chelsea and Man City have better quality squads, with a better mix of youth and experience and mental and physical srength They can grind out results and achieve greater consistency. I think Liverpool next season will knock them out of the top four and I don't think that Spurs will be far behind in terms of quality either when they sell Fabregas.

Not only do I think that Arsenal's playing philosophy and transfer policy does not work, I also think it is becoming a greater failure with each season they persist with it.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TCO, whilst most of what you said re: Arsenal is true, I maintain that it's because of the quality of player rather than the stylistic approach. A class keeper, top centre half, quality midfielder and a striker who knows how to lash the ball home, and they'd more than get away with it. There's no way he is going to admit he needs to splash on experienced players in these positions though, which annoys most Arsenal fans I know. Their ethos isn't that far removed from Barca's, and there's no need for me to wax lyrical about them...there are differences, but mostly it's the sheer calibre of player that separates them.

Sunderland like Rovers have money to spend, around £50 million for Bruce after the sales of Jones, Bent and Henderson. Whether you agree or not with some of the players that they have signed, have to say I am impressed that they identified these players as the ones that they want to sign and have gone out and landed them relatively early in the transfer window.

All very true Kamy. But Sunderland had very different circumstances to us. They have had a budget in mind since Bent left in January. They were (despite doing their level best to cock it up) safe well before the season ended. So, with this in mind they should have done no less than they have done. They had the time and the forsight in terms of budget to have contacted clubs from January onwards.

Despite all this, i'm not worried by their business. Bruce always seems to go a bit crazy during transfer windows. I'm always amazed he isn't bombed out of every club he's been at. He spends fortunes each and every opportunity only to claim the need for a make-over during the next.

Neymar has turned down all the offers from chelsea, barca, city, madrid and some russian club to stay at Santos.

That is because Rovers have made a surprise bid and he is going to accept our offer.

i admire sunderland, at least they are a well run club, with a chairman, niall quinn and board who know what they are doing, our owners couldnt run a p!ss up in a brewery.

Know what they are doing??

Spending millions on average players, selling their best players to local rivals-yep they know what they are doing.

Know what they are doing??

Spending millions on average players, selling their best players to local rivals-yep they know what they are doing.

You might not agree with what they are doing but they DO have a plan and are signing the players that THEY WANT. We, on the other hand, are drawing up lists and then drawing up some more lists. I suspect Sunderland supporters might be equally critical of our approach.

I suspect Sunderland supporters might be equally critical of our approach.

Il decide who did best next May....As for plans, I honestly dont believe Bruce has a plan, he looks for who everyone else is interested in and then gets involved, signing 10 players and getting rid of a load, same every year.

Il decide who did best next May....As for plans, I honestly dont believe Bruce has a plan, he looks for who everyone else is interested in and then gets involved, signing 10 players and getting rid of a load, same every year.

I suspect that he might know a little more about what he wants for his team than we do. Clearly he knows the players he wants and has moved to get them. Nothing wrong with that. I just wish we could sort ourselves out and get the players in and settled long before the season starts.

• Moderation Lead

WBA after free agents Nigel Reo-Coker and David Vaughan.

Surely we should be all over that?

You'd certainly hope so, there's no way those two wouldn't improve us in the middle of the park!

WBA after free agents Nigel Reo-Coker and David Vaughan.

Surely we should be all over that?

You would think a few clubs would be in for them - both could potentially improve as players too.

SSN now saying that Chelsea have entered the race for Nasri.

Also 15 million bid rejected by Villa from Liverpool for Downing. Talk about paying over the odds. As much as I love Kenny for what he achieved here but that could be almost 75 mill spent on Carroll, Henderson and Downing. Thats daylight robbery!

Sunderland going for it, Vaughan having medical.

Sunderland haven't signed anyone that I've thought "I wish we'd signed him".

Gardner probably the best of the bunch, but even he leaves a lot to be desired.

Going to be interesting to see how O'Shea, Gibson and Brown perform outside of the United bubble.

They can almost make an entirely new team from their transfers this summer...

Westwood

Elmohamady Brown O'Shea

Larsson Vaughan Gibson Gardner

Wickham Dong-Won

Ok, Vaughan and Gibson haven't signed yet and Elmohamady was on loan last season, but still...

Considering the amount of money to get them there, it's hardly a fear-inspiring team, is it?

Not that impressed either with Sunderland's signings either, suppose you could label some of their signings as solid and will be interesting to see Wickham - surely pressure on Bruce, and their team, to have a relatively decent season after bringing in so many players.

They can almost make an entirely new team from their transfers this summer...

Westwood

Elmohamady Brown O'Shea

Larsson Vaughan Gibson Gardner

Wickham Dong-Won

Ok, Vaughan and Gibson haven't signed yet and Elmohamady was on loan last season, but still...

Considering the amount of money to get them there, it's hardly a fear-inspiring team, is it?

Christ thats an average set of purchases! Of that lot I would only take Vaughan, Wickham and maybe Gardner (much rather have Witsel or Jones though). We have better players in every position apart from striker.

Whats the total outlay on that lot?

Archived