BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Non-Rovers Transfers

Glenn

Christ thats an average set of purchases! Of that lot I would only take Vaughan, Wickham and maybe Gardner (much rather have Witsel or Jones though). We have better players in every position apart from striker.

Whats the total outlay on that lot?

Westwood - FREE

Elmohamady - £2m

Brown, O'Shea & Gibson - £12m – MASSIVE WAGES

Larsson & Vaughan – FREE (BUT will demand big wages as Free agents)

Gardner - £6M

Wickham - £9m, rising to £12m

Dong-Won - £2.1m

£31m rising to £34m in FEES + WAGES

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

All that shows is that Steve Bruce just throws money at new players every season, I wonder what the staff turnover rate is like amongst the playing squad at the Mackems?

Most of those players won't be there much longer than 3 years.

If Wickham comes good this season, I give him 2 years max.

Sunderland have a history of spending loads of money on rubbish, happened under Keane and now under Bruce. They must have spent something like £100m maybe more over the past 5 years and what do they have to show for it?

If I was Ellis Short I would be starting to really question where my money is going and is it being used wisely.

If Rovers had signed any of those players there's plenty of fans who would be lauding them as good purchases.

The point is, Sunderland's squad is significantly stronger than it was at the end of May. Whereas our squad ............

Sunderland's depth chart

GK - Gordon (9m), Westwood (Free), Mignolet (2m)

DEF - Brown (4m), O'Shea (4m), Turner (4m), Angeleri (1.5m), Bramble (1m), Ferdinand (6m), Elmohamady (2m), Bardsley (1m)

MID - Richardson (3.5m), Cattermole (6m), Malbranque (Free), Riveros (Free), Meyler (250k), Gardner (4.5m), Larsson (Free), Gibson (4m), Sessegnon (6m)

ATT - Campbell (3.5m), Gyan (13m), Won (undisclosed), Wickham (8m)

MISC - Youth team players

TOTAL SPEND ON SQUAD - 83.25m

cant beleive people are critisising sunderland for their summer deals. THEY HAVE STRENGTHEND THEIR SQUAD. We have done nothing and the only 'deals' we have lined up is a relegated club's defender and a guy who plays in denmark. I would swap our squad with their's any day. Some people will call me for saying that but its true, they have strength in depth all over, we have a squad of bare bones and even that isnt anything special.

cant beleive people are critisising sunderland for their summer deals. THEY HAVE STRENGTHEND THEIR SQUAD. We have done nothing and the only 'deals' we have lined up is a relegated club's defender and a guy who plays in denmark. I would swap our squad with their's any day. Some people will call me for saying that but its true, they have strength in depth all over, we have a squad of bare bones and even that isnt anything special.

It is a much stronger squad than ours, but then it should be as they've spent an absolute fortune on it!

I just saw that Chelsea has released Michael Woods from his contract, wasn't he supposed to be the next big thing just a few years ago? Still only 21 apparently.

Also, Liverpool seems to have finally completed the Charlie Adam transfer. Off the top of my head, that makes for a whooping EIGHT central midfielders in their squad.

So you'd be happy with spending that sort of money to narrowly avoid a relegation scrap and get tubbed 5-1 by Burnley. The Mackems have a few good players that would really boost our team, but they're a collection of over priced underachievers managed by a dire manager. They have depth, but it is depth in very expensive mediocrity. They'll finish around 14th, give or take a couple of places.

I'd rather spend a bit more time getting the right player. Maybe these leftfield targets are worth looking at.

Sunderland have given FOUR year deals to Brown (32 years old) and O Shea (30 years old), absolute madness, no wonder our owners are seemingly disillusioned with football and transfers.

Sunderland have given FOUR year deals to Brown (32 years old) and O Shea (30 years old), absolute madness, no wonder our owners are seemingly disillusioned with football and transfers.

I see Bruce is up to his old tricks again. Out of the many signings Sunderland have made in this window I cant think of one of them who would have started for us anywhere other than the bench at best barring O'Shea.

I've never rated Brown, I think he will really struggle at a club like Sunderland when he is left wide open and under threat of constant attack.

Don't see why people are criticising Sunderland. They just sold a player for 20 million and have bought a bunch of players with that money. Brown is being reported as a 1m transfer fee on the official Premier League website (not 4m).

Most of the players they have bought are experienced and 'proven' in the Premier League, although I don't really rate any of the players they've bought that much if I'm honest. Given all the players they have in the team now are at a similar level, they will all push each other to do better to secure a place in the first team. So you might see average players become very good players for Sunderland. Craig Gardner who they've bought was rubbish for Aston Villa, but was key for Birmingham, as an example.

Not saying that these signings will have them challenging for Europe as a certainty now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them much stronger next season.

If Rovers had signed any of those players there's plenty of fans who would be lauding them as good purchases.

The point is, Sunderland's squad is significantly stronger than it was at the end of May. Whereas our squad ............

for the amount of money they spend, they should have been much stronger than us over the last 5 or so years. we have been above them, except for last season, and had there not been all the crap, we would have ended above them again. now what was that you said about our squad? the transfer window has not closed yet, but we could still end up with Cisse, Witsel, Vincente, Mongogu, Onouha etc

Does the Vaughan deal take Sunderland's signings to 12?

That is rediculous and unsustainable.

They have not signed anyone who will push them into the upper half of the league.

All the players they have signed are of equal quality to the ones they have.

In theory they let their best player go, so have a weaker, bigger squad now.

Glad Bruce is not at Rovers!

Archived