• Last Reply

Dreaded new manager honeymoon bounce... :(

Team for me

Robinson

Lowe Samba Givet Olsson

Formica Pedersen

Simon Rochina Hoilett

Yak

A defensive midfield pairing of Pedersen and Formica appears suicidal but I don't really know what other options we have in there. Formica seemed robust in the tackle against Swansea, put himself about, good technique, good passing. If he gets his positioning right it could be a shrewd move to shift him there and give his central attacking role to Rochina. As the only other option is to bring Lowe into midfield (thus exposing us down the flank) or play Dunn (simply a liability when we don't have the ball) or Petrovic (improving maybe but still not very convincing...) it seems like an okay shout.

Not sure if we will end up with that team however:-

1) Kean seems to feel compelled to play Dann when fit even though he has been much poorer than either Samba or Givet at centreback

2) Similarly Kean is a fan of both Salgado and Dunn, both of whom lack the accelration to adequately defend in this league. Salgado against Richardson in particular scares me.

On the positive side Yak is on fire, and a supporting trio of Hoilett, Rochina and Simon is pretty god damn good it has to be said. All four of those attacking players have goals in them. Lets just hope they can be disciplined and keep the shape without the ball!

I dont think you can criticise Kean for his selections and then justify playing Formica as a defensive midfielder. Id rather see Petrovic or play Henley at RB and move Lowe into the centre before playing Formica in a defensive role.

I think it'd be hard to accomodate Simon, Hoilett, Rochina and Formica into the side and I think its either between Rochina or Formica as to who misses out. Formica does work hard but Rochina does seem to create more. Tough call. Anyone know if Olsson is available??

I think we can go and win this game. For me the teams are very similar in their style and systems and MON will have worked on their set plays, both offensive and defensive. Having seen them on Sunday at Wolves they played on the break and whilst they will be driven forward more by their own fans. We should look to capitalise on this as I believe O'Shea and Brown are weak as a centre back pairing. Cattermole is a big loss for them and it doesn't seem that either team will have a ball winner in midfield.

Tactics should be to keep it tight for the opening 30 minutes and hopefully quieten the crowd who will be particularly noisy with a new manager and expectation levels suddenly becoming higher. As the game opens up we can hpefully utilise our more skilled and quicker players to their potential.

I'm going for a 1-0 win subject to the imposter getting his team and tactics right (big ask I know).

Though I am a little more optimistic about this match than most - not conceding any goals is a shot in the dark considering our record so far.

I am hoping it is a can't lose match - i.e. if we win, we probably get out of bottom three - if we lose Kean is sacked - a draw would leave us in limbo unfortunately.

After getting last weeks resuly bob on :blush: I have looked at this one, A Sunderland team who can't score goals, against a Rovers team who can't keep clean sheets?

So not expecting a thriller, however with MON having his first game in charge it will give Sunderland an extra focus to get his management of the club off to a good start.

He will look at Rovers and see it as a game he does not wish to lose and will know we are free-scoring, I expect him to work on clean sheets to keep Sunderland up (An approach our Manager should of been taking months ago)

I will go for 0-0, Rovers to get their first clean sheet, and Sunderland to play to their strengths, as they lack a goalscorer, I think a point will suit both teams at this stage of the season, so Kean can use the word momentum ahead of 2 home games

I dont think you can criticise Kean for his selections and then justify playing Formica as a defensive midfielder. Id rather see Petrovic or play Henley at RB and move Lowe into the centre before playing Formica in a defensive role.

I think it'd be hard to accomodate Simon, Hoilett, Rochina and Formica into the side and I think its either between Rochina or Formica as to who misses out. Formica does work hard but Rochina does seem to create more. Tough call. Anyone know if Olsson is available??

If Henley is good enough then I agree with your assessment, but that is a pretty big question. We know Lowe can play right back, it has been a HUGE problem for us there, so I am lothe to move him.

Formica in midfield is a punt, especially alongside MGP, but if we want to keep Lowe at right back I am not sure Formica will offer much less protection without the ball than Dunn or Petrocivc and he would be a lot better with the ball.

Are they better on paper? I prefer our defence almost to a man

Hmm not sure about that. O'Shea and Brown would walk into our team at full back and centre back, probably with Samba and one of Givet/Olsson.

If Henley is good enough then I agree with your assessment, but that is a pretty big question. We know Lowe can play right back, it has been a HUGE problem for us there, so I am lothe to move him.

Formica in midfield is a punt, especially alongside MGP, but if we want to keep Lowe at right back I am not sure Formica will offer much less protection without the ball than Dunn or Petrocivc and he would be a lot better with the ball.

I appreciate right back will be a problem if Lowe is moved, but right back is far less important than central midfield. Formica and Pedersen just wouldn't work for me, I think there would be stronger midfields in the Championship.

Personally I'd push Dann to right back for this game and see how he does. Dunn or Petrovic has to play if that doesn't happen though, for all their short comings they will offer a bit of protection, Formica just wouldn't offer any. Dunn is capable of doing a solid job there, even against Fulham this season he was having a cracking game until injury hit.

This might be a stupid question...but what about Grella? :unsure:

Olsson and Rochina are both having late fitness tests. Olsson has a hamstring injury, and Rochina had his wisdom teeth removed this week.

Olsson and Rochina are both having late fitness tests. Olsson has a hamstring injury, and Rochina had his wisdom teeth removed this week.

Robbo

Lowe Samba Dann Givet

Petrovic Pedersen

Vukcevic Formica Hoilett

Yakubu

If Olsson is fit then Id shift Givet to right back and play Lowe instead of Petrovic in the middle.

I think we're going to have to score at least twice to get anything. But thats been the story all season I guess.

Optimistically I reckon, if we can keep them quiet for the first 20 minutes or so, then a draw is on the cards. Looking at their team, this isn't the Sunderland with Welbeck, Bent and Gyan up front, and Larsson/Richardson are the only proven prem players attacking wise. If Wigan can take the points then, even with the MoN factor, we could still get something.

I really want to see Hoilett dropped for this game. He's done very little going forward in recent ganmes and never tracks back. Ever since the rumour came out that he'll be leaving in January he's put in no effort on the pitch and it seems like we're playing with ten men lots of the time.

I really want Vukčević to start instead. He had a really good game against Swansea and, even if he doesn't have that same attacking threat as Hoilett on a (rare) good day, he's much better defencively and actually tracks back. Plus the fact that Larsson is on Sunderland's right, if Givet at left-back then he'll need all the help he can get. Vukčević is much more likely to offer that help. If Hoilett plays: we haven't got a chance.

Sunday will be very, very difficult. O'Neil will have them wound-up like a coiled spring.

A side struggling to score goals will suddenly find goals easy to come by and I go for a 3 or 4 goal loss to a solitary reply.

Sunday will be very, very difficult. O'Neil will have them wound-up like a coiled spring.

A side struggling to score goals will suddenly find goals easy to come by and I go for a 3 or 4 goal loss to a solitary reply.

Agree that its going to be difficult as no doubt the new manager may lift them, however I think that there are a number of reasons for optimism so I don't buy your depressing prediction of a hammering.

Might not be easy but maybe that will give the Rovers an edge, its gone from a draw that every pundit has been predicting to a nailed on Sunderland win, the pressure is all on them on Sunday for a change. I think this could be a draw or even a win for the Blue 'n Whites.

I'm quite positive On the back of a good win last week, and playing our strongest back four, lowe, samba, givet and olsson, midfield of Pedersen, Rochina, Formica, Hoilett and a CDM (we will miss nzonzi enormously), with Yak up front. if that back 4 doesn't play, then lady luck may need to smile on us. COYB :xmas:

Robbo

Lowe Samba Dann Givet

Petrovic Pedersen

Vukcevic Formica Hoilett

Yakubu

If Olsson is fit then Id shift Givet to right back and play Lowe instead of Petrovic in the middle.

I think we're going to have to score at least twice to get anything. But thats been the story all season I guess.

Optimistically I reckon, if we can keep them quiet for the first 20 minutes or so, then a draw is on the cards. Looking at their team, this isn't the Sunderland with Welbeck, Bent and Gyan up front, and Larsson/Richardson are the only proven prem players attacking wise. If Wigan can take the points then, even with the MoN factor, we could still get something.

I don't get it. Givet has probably never played right back in his entire career but you reckon Sunday is a good time to give him a whirl ! Why ? Too much Football Manager 200and whenever I think.

My Dad bumped into Ken Beamish today and had a bit of a chat with him...according to Ken Hoilett injured his hamstring/calf in training today and probably won't feature. On the plus side, he also told my Dad that Spurs are looking at him, but are being put off by his poor defensive play! :)

For anyone thinking we are facing a certain defeat tomorrow, who remembers last time we played away at Sunderland in the 1st game for a new, Sunderland supporting, manager? It was opening day in 1986(?). A packed Roker Park hailing Laurie McMenemy as the new messiah and we played them off the park to win 2-0 "laurie Mc, Laurie Mc What a difference you have made!" Classic away trip.

On saying that I can see us losing 3-1.

Archived