BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn v QPR

Shabani

Grow up Mercerman! Just because some fans haven't watched us in Division 3 doesn't mean they can't relate to what it was like. Most of us have relatives that have told us about the bad days.

From many young fans points of view this is the most precarious position they have seen the club and they are allowed to express that opinion. Not their fault they have supported their Rovers through arguably the most successful period in the club's history.

You miss the thrust of my argument - what I object to is being told by young Chaddy 'what proper supporters do' when he hasn't a feckin clue about what many on this MB have endured. Agree, it isn't necessarily about age but about supporting your team when the chips are really, really, down. As I said, back in those horrible, horrible Third Divisions days, starting in about 1971, gates were down to about 5/6/7,000, we were almost rock bottom of the Third Division and we were 'excited' then by signings such as 'Dumper' Endean (literally, 'borrowed' a dumper truck), five foot nothing Johnny Price from Stockport and the beanpole John O'Mara from Brentford who would have managed to make Peter Crouch seem like Maradonna, Pele & Cruyff all rolled into one !

I fervently hope that these days never return but, if they do, let's see if the likes of Chaddy are still around.

Omens this morning are poor and, sadly, today I see a 3-1 defeat for us.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, however, those who've come to the show in the 'glory years' since 1992 haven't a feckin clue what it was like when the club was really on its knees. As I said, Mansfield @ home, Halifax @ The Shay, Friday night @ Tranmere and a winter's Saturday @ Chesterfield etc - you don't know you are feckin born.

Very true , my 1st away game was Rochdale away in 72 and we lost !!!!!

Talking of Friday nights at Tranmere , the great Tony Field once ripped them apart , didn't go but remember it well !!!

Tough one to call today; we can't honestly predict which Rovers team will turn up! QPR will consider themselves to have a massive chance, and the confidence of the opposing team has been a problem for us all season at home.

I was boosted (a little) by Kean's promise to start aggressively; we did this against Everton the other week and it is the way we play best.

I am hoping for a huge effort from the start, hopefully the players will feel that they owe us big time after the Arsenal shambles and will want to prove something. 2-1 Rovers.

COYB!!!

Chaddy, don't know how old you are but very much doubt that you were around when Rovers were bottom of the old Third Division when beating Mansfield at home or scraping a result at The Shay (Halifax) was like pulling Cheryl Cole or Keira Knightley or whoever floats your boat. Please don't lecture me and others on this MB about 'what true and proper fans do'. As Harold Macmillan said 'you've never had it so good' - Venky's & Kean or not !!!

Mercerman, I am 26 years old and I went to my first game was Bournemouth at home in the League Cup in September 1993.

I follow Rovers because that is the team My Dad supported and his dad support them before that.

My dad has told about Rovers in 60's, 70's and 80's.

I wasn't digging at you either Mercerman. I respect your comments and find them interesting.

My comment was to all Rovers fans not just to you. I want to see Crowds get back to 30k and made Ewood Park a fortess again!!!

I have said hope against hope that we could stay up well......today is D_Day if we lose, them it will be very hard to stay up... however if we win them the battle is still on.....so a draw it will be them

To be fair Mercerman, people can't help when they were born....

Exactly.

I'm 28 and started getting interested in football when I was about 9/10 - which is when the Premiership started up.

I can't do anything about being born in 1983 and I certainly wouldn't want to be 20 years older, just so I can say things like 'these youngsters...what do they know about playing Leyton Orient away in 1652. Eeee bah gum, good days'.

I'd much rather have grown up watching us battle for the title, win the league cup and be one of the top 20 clubs in the country than travel to Doncaster or play Halifax at home. No contest at all.

If you happen to have been born in the era where Premiership football in the norm, you're not going to stop going to matches just because we might get relegated down to League 1 or League 2.

Mercerman, I am 26 years old and I went to my first game was Bournemouth at home in the League Cup in September 1993.

I follow Rovers because that is the team My Dad supported and his dad support them before that.

My dad has told about Rovers in 60's, 70's and 80's.

I wasn't digging at you either Mercerman. I respect your comments and find them interesting.

My comment was to all Rovers fans not just to you. I want to see Crowds get back to 30k and made Ewood Park a fortess again!!!

Chaddy, no worries - give my regards to Uncle Claudio.

We are all desperate for a return to the 'glory years', would even settle for 'stable mediocrity'.

And as for ronnie hildersley lol

A Donald Scrimgeour Mackay signing if I recall - another five foot nothing player who I seem to remember once scored a cracking goal at Ewood for us only to quickly return to form of his Rochdale, Preston days !

I liked Jonny Price, and for that matter, Barry Endean!! John O'Mara was hopeless!! I remember my dad describing him as less mobile then Nelsons Column, which, as a 9 or 10 year old seemed hilarious. We seemed to have a few umpa lumpa's around that time, Arentoft, few years later, Bobby Bobby Bobby, Hoy Hoy Hoy was no giant, Gordon Taylor, Bobby Svarc. And, more recently, Speedie and Dikov!

Anyway, come on you blues today, QPR have a few injuries. Hope Bothroyd doesn't return to haunt us.

I liked Jonny Price, and for that matter, Barry Endean!! John O'Mara was hopeless!! I remember my dad describing him as less mobile then Nelsons Column, which, as a 9 or 10 year old seemed hilarious. We seemed to have a few umpa lumpa's around that time, Arentoft, few years later, Bobby Bobby Bobby, Hoy Hoy Hoy was no giant, Gordon Taylor, Bobby Svarc. And, more recently, Speedie and Dikov!

Anyway, come on you blues today, QPR have a few injuries. Hope Bothroyd doesn't return to haunt us.

If Johnny Price was still playing he'd catch the team we've got now, at least he knew how to beat somebody and he could cross a ball.

Oh for a player like waggy! Now he was class or later the enigma that was Duncan Mckenzie.

Loved watching Waggy, and was well chuffed we had a player of McKenzies national fame, seemed to give us quite a bit more press coverage at the time, (mainly due to golf balls and mini's!).

I seem to remember Waggy (one of the cleanest players we had) was the first player in this country to get the red card, could be totally wrong with that one. Can anybody confirm if that's correct?

Archived