BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BRFC Action Group Open Floor Meeting with Shebby Singh

Den, you should know better.

:lol: Thanks Tyrone

The answer to your question is he takes them because he's the best of a bad bunch, that's why we'll be playing Ipswich Town this Saturday

At your age you should know better than that Tyrone. His corner kicks, when he swings them under the bar are very difficult to defend against. And yes, he gets then wrong sometimes because it's not an easy technique. If they're a tad too low they're headed away. If they're a tad too high they sail over the bar, Hit them too hard and they go over everyone, hit them too softly and they're cleared too. We have no-one else who can take set pieces like Pedersen can.

The guy's a waste of a shirt, not to mention £ 40k a week.

Did he not have a relegation clause? If he did, he isn't on £40k a week.

that's why we'll be playing Ipswich Town this Saturday

We could have done with him during some of the 8 out of 9 games we lost at the end of last season, when he was dropped.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If MGP is as useless as many Rovers fans suggest, why have a succession of Rovers managers picked him in our first team, at the same time as International manager's have been selecting him for International duty?

Maybe Souness, Hughes, Allardyce and relevant International Manager's were still learning the dance and did not know quite as much as the knowledgeable posters on here about the abilities of this player.... :unsure:

So you're obviously also a big fan of Keef Andrews. The same argument was used about him in his time with us. Picked by a succession of managers as well as an international manager.

it's a long time since mgp was banging goals in every other week and he's gone downhill since then. he's a middling player for us but he was effective when we had good managers and he made stephen warnock look better than he was for me.

in kean's tactical mess he is neither here nor there. not incisive on the left, a poor partner with dunn (who is the more guilty party). i'd still keep him as i think with etuhu or nzonzi he would do ok in this league but it looks like he'll be off as we have been other midfielders we don't need left right and centre.

So you're obviously also a big fan of Keef Andrews. The same argument was used about him in his time with us. Picked by a succession of managers as well as an international manager.

I respect the abilities of any person able to earn a living playing professional sport. The clue is in the fact they get paid to play.

There are a million and one people with 'nearly', 'could have' and 'should have' stories. The ones that make it have proven they are good enough. It is pretty straight forward really.

Whether they meet the exacting standards of Rovers fans is another matter however and as others have pointed out there has always been a player villified at the club, from Bobby Svarc, to Jimmy Quinn, to Jason Wilcox, to Tim Sherwood, to Jim Branagan, to Jason Roberts, to Mark Atkins, to Ian Miller, to Keith Andrews, to name but a few.

It gets a bit repetitive.

Formica - Dunn - Vukcevic - Rochina - me, we can all take them. Not very well though.

Based on what exactly? Your days of watching the Argentinian League, Portuguese League and Spanish 2nd Division? Vukcevic I have seen take decent set pieces, same with Dunn, I'm gonna presume the other 2 can because they have decent technique...Rochina used to for his previous team and I might have read Formica did as well.....maybe even they've taken a couple for us I can't remember......anyway to be on Pedersen's current level they won't have to be amazing.....but like I said these are all back up to Murphy who takes a very good set piece.

At your age you should know better than that Tyrone. His corner kicks, when he swings them under the bar are very difficult to defend against. And yes, he gets then wrong sometimes because it's not an easy technique. If they're a tad too low they're headed away. If they're a tad too high they sail over the bar, Hit them too hard and they go over everyone, hit them too softly and they're cleared too. We have no-one else who can take set pieces like Pedersen can.

His corner kicks mostly hit the first man.......so out of the rest, like you say he gets them wrong sometimes......when mostly the keeper comfortably claims them......would it not make more sense to, I dunno, aim for one of our players from a corner rather than trying to take the perfect one.

Souness bought him and left for Newcastle the following week...

That's why I don't remember him much under Souness then.

Based on what exactly? Your days of watching the Argentinian League, Portuguese League and Spanish 2nd Division? Vukcevic I have seen take decent set pieces, same with Dunn, I'm gonna presume the other 2 can because they have decent technique...Rochina used to for his previous team and I might have read Formica did as well.....maybe even they've taken a couple for us I can't remember......anyway to be on Pedersen's current level they won't have to be amazing.....but like I said these are all back up to Murphy who takes a very good set piece.

His corner kicks mostly hit the first man.......so out of the rest, like you say he gets them wrong sometimes......when mostly the keeper comfortably claims them......would it not make more sense to, I dunno, aim for one of our players from a corner rather than trying to take the perfect one.

That's why I don't remember him much under Souness then.

We scored nearly half our goals from set pieces last season, thats why MGP takes them, and why none of the others do- proven quality against premier league opposition, not against Spanish reserves etc. You talk like you expect him to score or have at least one assist every game from set pieces. Before MGP we used to go full seasons between goals from free kicks. Theno made a great post, he's just the whipping boy for the fans. I could show you 1/2 dozen goals from last season where Dunny hasn't even made it back into the camera shot, as his man slots a ball home, that's not including the dozens of games missed over the seasons through injury. I'm not saying he's brilliant, just that all the others on your list have contributed significantly less than MGP to Rovers.

We scored nearly half our goals from set pieces last season, thats why MGP takes them, and why none of the others do- proven quality against premier league opposition, not against Spanish reserves etc. You talk like you expect him to score or have at least one assist every game from set pieces. Before MGP we used to go full seasons between goals from free kicks. Theno made a great post, he's just the whipping boy for the fans. I could show you 1/2 dozen goals from last season where Dunny hasn't even made it back into the camera shot, as his man slots a ball home, that's not including the dozens of games missed over the seasons through injury. I'm not saying he's brilliant, just that all the others on your list have contributed significantly less than MGP to Rovers.

An important reason we scored nearly half of our goals from set pieces was because one of our midfielders offered absolutely nothing in attack and would constantly give the ball away and not bother to try and win it back.......Even simple 5/10 yard passes would go straight to the opposition.....how many times were we in a good position on the edge of the oppositions box and Pedersen would have the ball and just chip it over everyone's head straight to the keeper or out for a goal kick.....so many attacks wasted when the ball came to him.

This season, we have Murphy who has proved for a number of years he can take a very good set piece and Pedersen will not be needed.....Rochina etc can just be back up so aren't really relevant.......all I really want is for the guy who's taking the corner to beat the first man and get it in the box......I don't think it's too much to ask or how anyone can think I'm expecting to get an assist in every game....that's completely unheard of.

I couldn't really care less about this whipping boy for the fans argument.....people can think what they want.....I make my own assessments on players and Pedersen is a passenger, a liability and a weakling.......Dunn has nothing to do with the argument either.....his legs have gone and he can only play off a striker.....we have enough of them but he's doing his coaching badges and we need experience......Pedersen has experience too but he's on high wages and I know he will be playing ahead of superior players like Vukcevic, Formica or Rochina.......obviously he has contributed more in 8 seasons than the others in 1 or 1 and a half, thanks for pointing that out.....but last season, which is a lot more relevant, he contributed almost nothing......less than Formica or Rochina.....more than Vukcevic with his 4 appearances or whatever.

Thanks to this we are now seen as a laughing stock in Norway as well. Of course the norwegian media only report what is said about Gamst. And the fact that the director comes out and rubbish him isnt good. The national coach Egil Drillo Olsen have come out and said Ewood Park is a rotten place and maybe it is time for Gamst to move.

Gamst himself says he will decide when he comes back from national duty. Thursday / Friday.

I agree Kean and Agnew, and perhaps Venkys, needs to go. MGP, on the other hand, is quality especially by Championship standards. All in my opinion.

Out of interest, during any meeting/correspondence with Shebby, has he acknowledged that off the pitch we need proper executives in place?? Agnew for example on the board is a bizarre appointment.

Or does he not see this as an issue?

Also, commercially, since this horrific takeover, we have not done anything of note in relation to increasing income (India, Asia etc) - if anything, there seems an intent to reduce income by being abysmal behind the scenes (no sponsor, corporate hospitality).

........Murphy can take very good set pieces, Formica, Rochina, Vukcevic or even Dunn could take them as well.

I'll bet Championship teams are licking their lips at the thought of playing against that lot without the Prem refs and their 'no physical contact' mantra around to look after them. It'll be a proper test of character for our Carlos Kickaball's.

I'll bet Championship teams are licking their lips at the thought of playing against that lot without the Prem refs and their 'no physical contact' mantra around to look after them. It'll be a proper test of character for our Carlos Kickaball's.

The likes of Taarabt seemed to do ok.....people said David Silva wouldn't be able to handle the rough and tumble of the Prem......if you're quick and skilful and have decent ball control, you can play in any league.....worst comes to worst, we'll just win a bunch of free kicks and get a lot of their players booked or sent off.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Podcast interview with Mark Fish (mark1875), secretary of the BRFCS Action Group, is now available as BRFCS Podcast 39 via the front page here, in which he discusses the background to the open floor meeting in brief. Many thanks to him for coming on - it was a pleasure to talk to him.

The Pedersen debate will trundle on, good servant for the club I'll give him that, but been average at best for years now.

I think the way his form seemed to improve just as contract negotiations started wound people up, then once signed it was back to 1 good game in 10.

To compare him to Sherwood is crackers in my eyes, Sherwood was a quality midfield player who once in the premiership delivered on a regular basis and won the league. He didn't fill himself full of glory during his final season but Pedersen isn't fit to lace his boots.

All this said that nut job Singh shouldn't have made those comments. He got carried away with the sounds of his own voice and applause from the crowd, which says much about the clown in my mind.

We could have done with him during some of the 8 out of 9 games we lost at the end of last season, when he was dropped.

MGP started 9 out of the last 10 games of last season.

Mm, how did we go on in those last 10 games ?

Read the posts :tu:

Archived