BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Lowe

Statistics for passes and tackles make no distinction between a good, positive one and a bad, negative one.

Sure it does. Lowe won 86% of all his attempted challenges. It doesn't get much clear-cut than that.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure it does. Lowe won 86% of all his attempted challenges. It doesn't get much clear-cut than that.

Where did the ball end up?

You cannot rely on stats. The only ones which really show anything of value is the scoreline, after that tenuously, possession.

• Backroom

You need to listen more carefully. Boo-boys in any case can be a generic term for people who don't like someone. It's a bit subtle I know but you'll get it in the end.

Carry on being a patronising git if you want but I was simply stating the 'boo boys' have been nowhere near as vociferous as they were with the likes of Andrews

Sure people have moaned online about him but I've never heard him come in for any real abuse at games

You cannot rely on stats. The only ones which really show anything of value is the scoreline, after that tenuously, possession.

You can't rely on them no but you can't dismiss a stat which shows that he won 86% of the challenges he made because of where the ball ended up.

He went in for a challenge and he won it (86% of the time) he broke up the attack or opposition possession it's his team mates who need to get hold of the loose ball.

It obviously depends on how many attempted challenges he made but it at least shows he was doing his job by breaking up play etc.

You can't rely on them no but you can't dismiss a stat which shows that he won 86% of the challenges he made because of where the ball ended up.

He went in for a challenge and he won it (86% of the time) he broke up the attack or opposition possession it's his team mates who need to get hold of the loose ball.

It obviously depends on how many attempted challenges he made but it at least shows he was doing his job by breaking up play etc.

Yeah, I'll go off what I see, thanks.

What is see is Lowe breaking up potential attacks alright. Ours.

Yes, and his stats in the PL backed that up, but I remember you dismissing them anyway.

..............and rightly so.

What was the score ?

• Backroom

Statistics for passes and tackles make no distinction between a good, positive one and a bad, negative one.

A tackle (if successful) is one that gains possession for your team. I assume that's the definition stattos use? :$

I've not posted much lately but I thought I would comment on Jason's contract extension.

I'm delighted we have him for at least another 4 years. That is unless somebody see's what I (and many others) see in him. He is an oldschool midfielder with modern day explosive fitness. The more games I see this player, the more I am impressed with the development of the understanding he has for playing in the centre of midfield.

Let us not forget what he has had to put up with for the past 3 years. Players like Olsson, Nzonzi, Hoilett have gone on to other clubs, yet not developed in the way they we expected. The turbulence and sheer lack of management, influx of nobodies and a constantly changing coaching staff could destroy any players chances of reaching their potential. The shedding of our real quality players would also inhibit the element of development, I am sure Jason would have blossomed quicker under Big Sam and his team.

That said - he has played a lot of games and this must of helped a lot. He has been frustrating at times, like many players. It says a lot that he is still here though, and I look forward to seeing him develop further.

A tackle (if successful) is one that gains possession for your team. I assume that's the definition stattos use? :$

Nope.

A tackle means successfully reliving you opponent of the ball - even if the ball goes out of play. Don't just make stuff up to suit the agenda, Mike.

I forgot you have a pathological hatred of Lowe. Well sorry, but he's going to be with us a long time yet. Perhaps you should leave ?

Look, you think he's garbage and nothing anyone says, factually or no, is going to change that. Let's not waste anymore time.

I thought threads would be boring if everyone was "tub-thumping" about stuff?

It would be very easy for me to dismiss your opinion of Lowe, Am'o, but I at least try to debate the point with you.

Sure people have moaned online about him but I've never heard him come in for any real abuse at games

It's just a matter of time Tom. We've seen this type of poison spread around Ewood by the ranks of know nowts many many times before. Truth is that if the likes of Wilcox, Carsley, Neill, MGP and heaven forbid our Premier League winning captain fantastic Sherwood were all that crap then the managers wouldn't pick them. However good any player is they are 20% better if filled with confidence. Too often though our flock of sheep on the terraces actively destroy the confidence of certain targetted players.

Maybe there is some truth in the current theory re:Rochina and Vukcevic etc that non appearence somehow enhances a players reputation cos most of the above players hardly ever missed a match through injury. Dependability must not figure in the judgement of a players worth hence the hero worship of our local 'Arroder' enjoys everytime he fakes a limp (btw I have seen him do it!) to his seat in the stands.

To criticise Lowe is to criticise Bowyer just as to howl down Sherwood and Wilcox was to howl down Kenny Dalglish, Lucas Neills criticism was by association shared equally by Mark Hughes, Allardyce / MGP. Top, top Premier League managers with many years experience yet some tossers on our terraces have the temerity and the gall to believe that they know best and that they can gob off to their hearts content cos they paid a tenner for the privilidge. Clueless gob shytes the lot of them.

Interesting to see the reduction in quality of manager and player along the way, Gordon. Even our slow death under the trust was filled with quality, experienced managers/players. Our beheading by Venkys has seem some real inept, experience of both foisted our way.

Seems to me that things are being confused here though. There is a difference between pointing out a player's inadequacies on an internet mb and booing a player at the game. I certainly don't boo players. Well, not Rovers players anyway.

It's just a matter of time Tom. We've seen this type of poison spread around Ewood by the ranks of know nowts many many times before. Truth is that if the likes of Wilcox, Carsley, Neill, MGP and heaven forbid our Premier League winning captain fantastic Sherwood were all that crap then the managers wouldn't pick them. However good any player is they are 20% better if filled with confidence. Too often though our flock of sheep on the terraces actively destroy the confidence of certain targetted players.

To criticise Lowe is to criticise Bowyer just as to howl down Sherwood and Wilcox was to howl down Kenny Dalglish, Lucas Neills criticism was by association shared equally by Mark Hughes, Allardyce / MGP. Top, top Premier League managers with many years experience yet some tossers on our terraces have the temerity and the gall to believe that they know best and that they can gob off to their hearts content cos they paid a tenner for the privilidge. Clueless gob shytes the lot of them.

But Lowe doesn't have even halve the ability of any player mentioned in your post, and he's 22 so his ability really going to improve that much.

At best Lowe is in the Savage mould(difference being though that Savage actually scored a few, took a decent set piece and had better all round ability), Lowe's game is just totally one dimensional and he's a proven bottler when things aren't going the teams way, there's better players than him in our squad more worthy of a place in his position.

p.s. if say I or somebody like Abbey had written a post as abusive as that, im sure a ban wouldn't be to far away!

As Amarillo says, he isn't good enough plain and simple. I find the news he's been offered an extended deal extremely depressing.

I said before the start of the season that he's not good enough for a team with genuine aspirations of promotion and the fact we currently sit seven points behind the play off places would seem to back up that view.

He's ok with a couple of other players alongside who can play and if we're dominating play anyway.If we're struggling and need to get a foothold in the game and take it by the scruff of the neck he has little or no inflence whatsoever. Never attempts anything particularly ambitious or worthwhile so rarely does anything in isolation that looks particularly bad but barely ever does anything worthwhile either.

Edit: Apologies have misread Amo's post.

But Lowe doesn't have even halve the ability of any player mentioned in your post, and he's 22 so his ability really going to improve that much.

At best Lowe is in the Savage mould(difference being though that Savage actually scored a few, took a decent set piece and had better all round ability), Lowe's game is just totally one dimensional and he's a proven bottler when things are going the teams way, there's better players than him in our squad more worthy of a place in his position.

p.s. if say I or somebody like Abbey had written a post a abusive as that, im sure a ban wouldn't be to far away!

In your opinion.

btw Can you rem how much abuse Sav got before he signed? EHD too? Allardyce for that matter. Yet all came and did a fine job and in Sams case saved our skins from certain relegation yet entrenched opinions (albeit feeble and unjusified ones) from a section of our support stuck to them throughout. Thats what ticks me off about some of our lot. 'Give a dog a bad name' takes on a whole new meaning around these parts.

btw 2 "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". You give a stalwart of the team (and I think an ever present) dogs abuse and then whine and call for a ban when a few home truths are spelled out. You need to grow some.

The subject has been beat to death and despite lengthy debate nobody has changed their opinion, so its pointless discussing anymore. Regardless of how you rate him, when he pulls on the rovers shirt he should always get your full support imo

t

He's ok with a couple of other players alongside who can play and if we're dominating play anyway.If we're struggling and need to get a foothold in the game and take it by the scruff of the neck he has little or no inflence whatsoever. Never attempts anything particularly ambitious or worthwhile so rarely does anything in isolation that looks particularly bad but barely ever does anything worthwhile either.

You've just given the perfect description of Mark Atkins Rev!

Oh and Nicky Butt too. :tu:

Not sure about that 'drog. Atkins did dominate games at this level, none more so than the play off final when he was absolutely outstanding.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Lowe can only dream of becoming the player Atkins was.

'Not sure about that 'drog. Atkins did dominate games at this level' Blue and white tinted specs well and truly on there LD. Atko was just above bog ordinary although he did chip in with a goal or two which to date is a facet to the game that has eluded Lowe.

Both getters and givers. Limited skill but 90 min team players who cover every blade of grass for the cause. Unlike Lowe Atkins got nowhere even close to an England cap at any level and our pet name 'SuperAtko' was heavy in sarcasm. However he was a late developer and KMD saw a role for him in midfield alongside Sherwood, Ripley and Wilcox which worked a treat. If we had written him off at 21 who knows what would have happened?

A team is a funny thing. KMD did try to replace Atko and bought a really top player to do so in David Batty but somehow the mix didn't really improve much as a result did it?

btw not entirely relevent but Pilky's doing well at Norwich, somewhat gallingly as he was one that we didn't think would make it.

Looking at the financial position the club finds itself in it 's surely a prudent move to give Lowe an extended contract. Personally, the best I think the club can hope for over the next few years - and I don't think it is actually sustainable from a financial point of view - is mid-table Championship. With a transfer embargo likely in the summer the options available to the manager will be very limited. Such an embargo will likely see us fighting relegation rather than looking up and in those circumstances the battling qualities of Lowe will be more than useful.

In your opinion.

btw Can you rem how much abuse Sav got before he signed? EHD too? Allardyce for that matter. Yet all came and did a fine job and in Sams case saved our skins from certain relegation yet entrenched opinions (albeit feeble and unjusified ones) from a section of our support stuck to them throughout. Thats what ticks me off about some of our lot. 'Give a dog a bad name' takes on a whole new meaning around these parts.

btw 2 "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". You give a stalwart of the team (and I think an ever present) dogs abuse and then whine and call for a ban when a few home truths are spelled out. You need to grow some.

you really are a nasty, strange old man, the only person throwing out abuse left, right and centre is you(but then that doesn't matter in your world)

And no its not really "in my opinion" I so all the mentioned players play through out their careers many times and they where all clearly in a different league to Lowe

Archived