BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window

Lhrover

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dann is average at best. There are many cb partnerships in the championship that are as just as good (or effective) as ours that were put together for a fraction of Dann's cost. Rather have a couple of old pros at the back in this league.

Remember, players such as Nelsen, Moran, Gayle, Berg (second time) were all free transfers and were superb for us.

Samba for 300k, and Salgado for free :)

If we got £5m+ for Dann then I'd accept it. He's a good player at this level but he is certainly replaceable. Don' think he'll be sold in this window though unless a big bid comes in. Givet will probably leave in January. I'd also expect Olsson to leave towards the end of the window.

I think Dann will go in the summer which will leave us with just Hanley as an experienced centre half. We will need 2 new experienced centre halves for next season with Ryan Edwards and O'Connell being 4th and 5th choice.

I'd accept £5m pending we got a replacement in, I would not sell and try and replace him after - could leave us in a mess (again). I'm guessing Rekik is a potential loan signing, so wouldn't get rid of Olsson unless we got someone permanent in. Established players leaving, young novices being brought in - hope we're not seeing a continuation of that pattern.

Why people slag Dann off, I'm not certain. Since about November he and Hanley have been pretty damn good imo and let down by the midfield in front of them.

That's not true at all. We continue to concede goals from lofted balls into the area. Neither Dann nor Hanley are taking charge back there. Being the experienced defender, Dann should be the one doing this but he just doesn't.

We lost two points at Wolves because we couldn't deal with a high ball. We dropped a point against Charlton for the same reason. Countless similar episodes throughout the season and it's not showing any signs of improvement. Nothing to do with the midfield, teams will always be able to pump long balls into our area, we have to deal with it.

Admittedly Dann has improved slightly in that he's not making obvious mistakes anymore. But the central defence is still very weak in the air and it's costing us points on a regular basis.

• Backroom
That's not true at all. We continue to concede goals from lofted balls into the area. Neither Dann nor Hanley are taking charge back there. Being the experienced defender, Dann should be the one doing this but he just doesn't.

We lost two points at Wolves because we couldn't deal with a high ball. We dropped a point against Charlton for the same reason. Countless similar episodes throughout the season and it's not showing any signs of improvement. Nothing to do with the midfield, teams will always be able to pump long balls into our area, we have to deal with it.

Admittedly Dann has improved slightly in that he's not making obvious mistakes anymore. But the central defence is still very weak in the air and it's costing us points on a regular basis.

This.

The thing is, Dann can play well for 80 minutes of a game, then suddenly lose concentration and make a basic error which results in a goal conceded. It's infuriating and happens time after time - for that reason he cannot be considered a long-term solution to our centre-back problem. He needs to be replaced soon for us to progress.

His positional sense is also atrocious, though admittedly I think he often gets pulled out of position because other players go walkabout under our shapeless system. Appleton seems to be fixing that, so hopefully Dann will improve in this area at least.

Centre halves need to be one of two things. They need to be either big, good in the air, physically strong and be capable of totally dominating an opponent, or they need to read a game well and play the sweeping role. Ideally one of each - and that's something else the squad doesn't have. I would say neither Dann or Hanley are either.

• Backroom

If you had to defend solidly with no midfield to help you, would you not lose concentration once in a while? It's been detrimental to our results, but I don't think you can absolutely blame Dann or Hanley for many of our conceded goals. A solid team needs to defend from the front. Something we haven't done properly since Allardyce was here. Black tried it, but then we brought in Berg. Bowyer seemed to get the effort out of the players and it worked again. Appletong also seems to have managed it (albeit only the one game so far).

Selling Dann isn't the answer to our defensive problems. Hanley is only 21 and is nowhere near 'experienced' yet. Dann will hit his prime in the next few years. If we do sell him, it had better be because we can get better. I often feel that people slag him off because of prejudice from last season's shambles. This season he has actually been pretty good, as has Hanley. They were letting each other down at crucial moments, but in the last 7/8 games they look to have started playing as partners.

There are people who need chucking out the club before we even consider selling Dann.

Think Dann hasn't been bad at all this season. I think he was one of the players who was awful last season but has adapted fairly well to the league this year.

I agree with whoever said we should sell non-first team players first but I dont think anyone would wamt any of our bench or reserves other than Nuno and one or two others.

If we sell both Olsson and Dann for 7.5mil to that tax dodging fifaesque manager then we are going to be in big trouble as we wont replacements easily.

How do people rate Olsson's brother? Do you think he could slot in at left back and it be like we havent even lost a player? I genuinely do, I think he's as good if not better than Martin.

Dann - whilst he is very suspect, with Givet wanting more money or to go (free in summer) - we cant afford to let both of them go, and we shouldnt be giving Givet a payrise

How do people rate Olsson's brother? Do you think he could slot in at left back and it be like we havent even lost a player? I genuinely do, I think he's as good if not better than Martin.

Based on what?

Dann - whilst he is very suspect, with Givet wanting more money or to go (free in summer) - we cant afford to let both of them go, and we shouldnt be giving Givet a payrise

Markus Olsson is woeful, literally all he can do is run, I can't remember any good crosses he has put in, he should be let go as he is nowhere near the standard required. Playing a woeful left winger at full back is not the way forward.

When did Marcus play left back? Spurs away was one. At least another one last season I think, Then Bristol City and Leeds. The Bristol City fans commented that Martin was considerably better than Marcus.

But at Leeds, didn't people say he played alright...or was that just going forward as he scored in that game if I recall.

We'll need a proper full back as replacement if Martin goes.....even if Kane plays RB and Henley LB, we need some more cover in those positions.

Sell Dann for anything over 4 million.....we can buy a decent commanding CB for half that.

Archived