BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley fans up in arms over Ewood game.

I dont agree with some of what Chris h has posted. I'm not convinced it's as black and white as that. Ie all burnley fans are backward neanderthal trouble makers and all rovers fans are mummy, daddy and 2 children on a family day out.

Yes burnley have a nasty element. And some of their fans have an unhealthy obsession with hating rovers.

But some normal folk also support burnley too; I can only speak through experience. Undoubtedly families and children go to turf moor. I'd hazard a guess that in terms of demographic of home crowds at ewood and turf moor, the percentages of families will be similar!

As for Rovers, there is a 'risk element' who only really surface these days for the Burnley games.

Secondly a very big percentage of the Rovers home crowd against burnley will be groups of mates aged 16 +. I don't recall seeing lots of families the last times we played Burnley at ewood!

I cannot agree with the notion that our support is largely family based. I presume this means that the majority of home crowd at ewood are families. That is incorrect, particularly in the championship. Brighton at home on a cold tuesday night does not have the same pull for families as say Arsenal at home on a Saturday in the premier league!

Chris h cites some deplorable incidents of cowardly attacks on rovers fans prior to games at the turf. However there is, or certainly was, a video on you tube of a female in a burnley shirt being verbally abused, quite aggressively, on Bolton Rd. I presume at the youth cup game.

Likewise if we are going to cite examples from the Manx Cup in the 80's, I'm sure Carlisle fans can recall an example involving Rovers from the same period that doesn't exactly bask us in glory.

So in conclusion I don't agree with the superiority complex nature of the post that Rovers fans are whiter than white and all Burnley fans are out to inflict serious harm on anything blue and white.

As for the travel restrictions, I don't agree with them, I didn't enjoy the trip to the turf largely as a result of them and didnt enjoy the sightseeing tour of burnley, brierfield and nelson! However I will not lose any sleep over Burnley fans having to endure what we did, and hope the convoy goes via Darwen tower!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont agree with some of what Chris h has posted. I'm not convinced it's as black and white as that. Ie all burnley fans are backward neanderthal trouble makers and all rovers fans are mummy, daddy and 2 children on a family day out.

Yes burnley have a nasty element. And some of their fans have an unhealthy obsession with hating rovers.

But some normal folk also support burnley too; I can only speak through experience. Undoubtedly families and children go to turf moor. I'd hazard a guess that in terms of demographic of home crowds at ewood and turf moor, the percentages of families will be similar!

As for Rovers, there is a 'risk element' who only really surface these days for the Burnley games.

Secondly a very big percentage of the Rovers home crowd against burnley will be groups of mates aged 16 +. I don't recall seeing lots of families the last times we played Burnley at ewood!

I cannot agree with the notion that our support is largely family based. I presume this means that the majority of home crowd at ewood are families. That is incorrect, particularly in the championship. Brighton at home on a cold tuesday night does not have the same pull for families as say Arsenal at home on a Saturday in the premier league!

Chris h cites some deplorable incidents of cowardly attacks on rovers fans prior to games at the turf. However there is, or certainly was, a video on you tube of a female in a burnley shirt being verbally abused, quite aggressively, on Bolton Rd. I presume at the youth cup game.

Likewise if we are going to cite examples from the Manx Cup in the 80's, I'm sure Carlisle fans can recall an example involving Rovers from the same period that doesn't exactly bask us in glory.

So in conclusion I don't agree with the superiority complex nature of the post that Rovers fans are whiter than white and all Burnley fans are out to inflict serious harm on anything blue and white.

As for the travel restrictions, I don't agree with them, I didn't enjoy the trip to the turf largely as a result of them and didnt enjoy the sightseeing tour of burnley, brierfield and nelson! However I will not lose any sleep over Burnley fans having to endure what we did, and hope the convoy goes via Darwen tower!

I pretty sensible summation.

It's also important to remember that, for every occasion like the derby game, a set of no-brain neanderthals will turn up under the guise of football fans, with absolutely no other intention that hitting somebody else with their six-fingered hands.

Doesn't matter where they come from, or who they perturb to support, they will be there solely to cause damage to property and personal injury to others.

If the police action prevents a single one of these idiots, then I'm in full support.

• Moderation Lead

Very good and fair post, sums up my feelings entirely.

Thing is, I've a lot of Burnley supporting mates, and they're all good folk. They actually despise the Rovers-obsessed lot who are the mindless minority.

It's also important to remember that, for every occasion like the derby game, a set of no-brain neanderthals will turn up under the guise of football fans, with absolutely no other intention that hitting somebody else with their six-fingered hands.

Doesn't matter where they come from, or who they perturb to support, they will be there solely to cause damage to property and personal injury to others.

If the police action prevents a single one of these idiots, then I'm in full support.

But these folks aren't the ones being 'punished'. There's no crackdown on people leaving Burnley heading West.

If people want trouble they can (and have) jump on a train or in car and be here in no time to wreak their non-football related havoc on the gentle folk of Blackburn.

The police are only controlling those who wish to watch football.

Ironic, eh?

My brother used to be "News Editor" (sic) for the Sport.

He still has framed front page "news" of:

FORD CORTINA FOUND ON THE MOON

CHEATING MAN EATEN ALIVE BY LEECHES (put in his soup by his angry wife)

ELVIS FOUND ALIVE ON THE MOON

He now covers Blackpool Football Club

I expect a new story:

Burnley fan found shagging donkey on Blackpool Beach after another away defeat

On a side note, didn't famous dingle Tony Livesey used to be the editor of The Daily Sport?

On a side note, didn't famous dingle Tony Livesey used to be the editor of The Daily Sport?

Correct. I often wondered why that rag used to be so negative towards Rovers and slag the fans at times until i found out that Baboon lookalike sister botherer was in charge !

Simple matter of fact is there is good and bad follow both clubs. As in the past it seems a lot of Rovers bad are content to spend game day in the pub, showing only when there is a high chance of bother.

I walked into the ground at their place right smack bang into a group of the most active lads over the past 25yrs, just returned from bans, but happy to be bussed in and out to see the game, so despite many people thinking its all one way it isn’t.

But I do certainly take your point USA, its just not worth the hassle these days and lets face facts, despite all the posturing and chest pumping, when was the last time Blackburn and burnley lads actually had a real battle? 70's i'd wager which makes a complete mockery of the police operation today.

From my recollection of watching since the late 60s , Rovers v Bolton games have been far worse for trouble than any Rovers v Burnley games that I have attended ...

I have attended a lot of games at Burnden and Turf Moor including the famous win at Bolton in 73 when Roger Jones played the game of his life .. ....

Exactly waggy, that's one of the more baffling aspects to this.

There's been serious trouble in the more recent past at games with Bolton, Wolves, Cardiff, Stockport (?!). But for a generation of fans, and pretty much all the police on duty, never against Blackburn. Not even when fans made there own way in and back. The 70s is before my time and I accept it was real enough then but everything I've seen at these games just says pantomime 'hatred' to me.

It's almost as if they're basing their policy on the schoolyard 'banter' of the brainless ones on the LET comments pages and the more far-fetched internet myths that you hear. If it was based on actual stats, arrests etc at the matches, it'd be policed like any other game.

The towns are 10 miles apart, Dingles and B*****ds mix at work, socially everyday. Someone at police HQ needs to realise the difference between the crap we post on forums and the real world.

Not that it would make any difference. At the end of the day, this is entirely about money and police budgets so it'll take a challenge in the courts to change it.

There's been serious trouble in the more recent past at games with Bolton, Wolves, Cardiff, Stockport (?!). But for a generation of fans, and pretty much all the police on duty, never against Blackburn. Not even when fans made there own way in and back. The 70s is before my time and I accept it was real enough then but everything I've seen at these games just says pantomime 'hatred' to me.

It's almost as if they're basing their policy on the schoolyard 'banter' of the brainless ones on the LET comments pages and the more far-fetched internet myths that you hear. If it was based on actual stats, arrests etc at the matches, it'd be policed like any other game.

The towns are 10 miles apart, Dingles and B*****ds mix at work, socially everyday. Someone at police HQ needs to realise the difference between the crap we post on forums and the real world.

Not that it would make any difference. At the end of the day, this is entirely about money and police budgets so it'll take a challenge in the courts to change it.

I agree with most of your post, but with regards to the bit in bold, there are absolutely a minority of 'special' fans on both sides who take the banter too far and genuinely believe that the game means more than local bragging rights.

As in, to the point of violence.

With regards to the police, their priority is to protect the public and prevent damage to property.

I'm almost certain that they could do without the cost and resource it takes to police one of these games, but as I've said before, if the steps they take prevents one innocent person from being hurt then it's absolutely the right action.

That would be interesting!

What would be the premise?

If it pleases my lord, can you stop the police sending so many bodies to police us as only a few people will get hurt which will be a little cheaper on the budget

:blink:

There's a young Hull fan who is challenging the West Yorkshire police's decision to insist all Hull fans go by coach to Huddersfield for a Friday night game soon. He lives in Manchester so you can understand why he might be annoyed. I would imagine if he wins that could change things for the future.

Hope it's banter-ful, m1st! :tu:

Actually I've got high hopes if Longers is helping out. No mushy stuff you two!! :D

Sorry I've not replied to this before but, trust me Stuart, it's only because I've been sorting out some of my best banter for the preview! :D I feel sure you'll like one or two of the little "digs"!

I've not sorted out any questions for Longers yet; I toyed with asking my claret-supporting mate in NZ; but he's too biassed.

Longsiders,

Rovers Fans Forum are in touch with Burnley fan reps and have taken part in some meetings with both clubs and the police for both games this year. There were some admittedly very minor concessions and a somewhat slicker operation this year which I like to think we had a hand in. I think some moves to make changes for future games are highly likely.

Longsiders,

Rovers Fans Forum are in touch with Burnley fan reps and have taken part in some meetings with both clubs and the police for both games this year. There were some admittedly very minor concessions and a somewhat slicker operation this year which I like to think we had a hand in. I think some moves to make changes for future games are highly likely.

Sounds promising.

As for the slicker operation I'm not sure about that, 20mph down the motorway, people not leaving Ewood until after 11am despite the insistence you're down early and then the 'barracades' outside the away end.....

Seemed to me that if anything the operation was more of a farce than normal.

Sounds promising.

As for the slicker operation I'm not sure about that, 20mph down the motorway, people not leaving Ewood until after 11am despite the insistence you're down early and then the 'barracades' outside the away end.....

Seemed to me that if anything the operation was more of a farce than normal.

You have to understand Gav, us Burnley fans needed protecting from you wild animals from Ewood, we needed those barriers for our safety

You have to understand Gav, us Burnley fans needed protecting from you wild animals from Ewood, we needed those barriers for our safety

I don't like being civil to you, it goes against the grain, but on this occasion... FFS what was that all about? Northern Ireland came to burnley for the day....

I won't be going next season.

Archived