BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Shabby will presumably be making the call on this I would think Robinson or Bowyer were the most likely candidates, depending on how we do over the next few games.

I can't imagine him bringing in any of the other candidates mentioned as they wouldn't put up with him poking his nose in and poncing round the training ground in his monogrammed tracksuit.

Robinson has a very familiar track record to the last couple of tried and failed managers as well, basically none.

no chance of Hughes.

btw Shebby cant become manager cos of no coaching badges which u need!!!

such a negative post.

:lol:

chaddy, please never grow up. You're beautiful just the way you are. :)

what happens if Bowyer doesnt the job.

Rovers wont decide who the permanent manager/head coach till end of the season but whoever the next manager is must be appoint by end of May.

rules have change since then.

to manage in the championship u must have your coaching badges.

please try to keep up with rules changes on manager appointments.

Are you for real?

Serious question, because even for you this evenings posts are bizarre.

What have venkys done in two years that suggest Steve McLaren will be asked to manage rovers, let alone accept the position.

You live in cloud cuckoo land son.

Never been a fan of McClaren, failed at every job he has been at apart from the firsht spell at Twente. He wasted loads of money at Boro, and consistently finished about 16th, and a league cup win cannot paper over that fact. He also failed at England, failed at Forest, and failed when he returned to the Netherlands. Goodness knows how the hell he had got such a high reputation.

He won the league cup at Middlesbrough and kept them in the Premier League and he was a failure ? Does not compute.

Guest Norbert

Peed lots of money up the wall, only just kept them up, and won a cup. The League cup win mask the fact he was a poor manager. His teams scored about 13 goals a season, and they bored their way to saftety with 0-0 draws. Not much value when you lash £8.5m on Maccarone and so on. A poor man's Allardyce basically.

How many league titles have Steve Kean / Henning Berg / Michael Appleton won between them (McClaren won the Dutch league with AZ)? How many cups have they won (SM won the League Cup with Boro)?

At this moment in time Steve McClaren would be a massive step up in quality and credentials

Could also mention UEFA cup final and similar to Berg he has been critical of owners lie the Venkys http://www.givemefootball.com/337244-steve-mcclaren-critical-of-quickfire-culture-amongst-owners

Enough money soon gets rid of any misgivings about the owners. Ask Berg.

The fact he has been assistant to RFW (helping them win the treble, plus 2 more PL titles), managed Boro for a number of seasons, including a cup win, Major European Cup Final (as Hanks says above..) and 2 semi finals. Multiple seasons in the PL, finishing 14th, 12th, 11th, 7th. So 2 seasons in Europe (cup win + 7th) - which most have been lauding Hughes / Souness / Big Sam for when they have done very similar for us. He went on to manage England in a major tournament (although admittedly not particularly successfully).Won the Dutch League with Twente for the first time in their history (not AZ Alkmar as I said above.. d'ho!).

So in doing all this he became the most successful English manager of the early 21st century, the first Englishman to win a major honour since 1996 and first English manager to reach the UEFA Cup final since 1984. Also, the first Englishman to win a top league title since Bobby Robson.

He's done pretty @#/? at Wolfburg, Forrest and then when he went back to Twente (although he did qualify for the Europa League again), so he may see it as a good opportunity to rebuild his reputation if he can get us challenging for / promoted?

I'm by no means a fan boy of his or anything, but just with a cursory glance at his record, he is most definitely head and shoulders above any of the pillocks we've had in charge since Big Sam and if we ignore the red top rhetoric that has now stained his character ( Wally with the Brolly, etc..) , we would be fools to dismiss him given our current situation.

I'd say people like him and McLeish are the best we can realistically hope for.

Which is a sad state of affairs in itself when you think back to who we supposedly had applying for the job when it was available after Ince / Sam :(

But to say you'd rather have the likes of Robinson / Bowyer ahead of them is just crazy talk. At least they have some sort of track record to fall back on. I'd include Owen Coyle in the same bracket as McLeish too, he at least has some experience of this league and above, including a promotion from the very league we're in, with less resources. In fact compare his record to Holloway's at Blackpool and I bet it isn't too dissimilar - and most were salivating over the prospect of him coming to manage us before Berg got the gig. Sad as it is to say, I'd snap your hands off for a Maclaren / McLeish / Coyle now after Kean / Berg / Appleton.

Never been a fan of McClaren, failed at every job he has been at apart from the firsht spell at Twente. He wasted loads of money at Boro, and consistently finished about 16th, and a league cup win cannot paper over that fact. He also failed at England, failed at Forest, and failed when he returned to the Netherlands. Goodness knows how the hell he had got such a high reputation.

Another one made their "fame" on the back of Sir Alex.

He won the league cup at Middlesbrough and kept them in the Premier League and he was a failure ? Does not compute.

About mirrors Souness and you weren't too fond of him now were you.

It seems a pretty consistent pattern here some one mentions some one, get's ridiculed by some one who doesn't actually put forth any name. How about we all just post who we would like, realistically. Who would you like as manager, no Mourinho's or Sir Alex's. Who would you have if there was a reasonable chance we could have them. No smashing people for their suggestion. I think it would be interesting to see who folks might want if they know there are not going to get ridiculed.

I'll kick it off, my thoughts are an old favourite of mine from the time Souness was hired, Glenn Hoddle.

Hmm, given the last few appointments there is no chance that any manager with experience who isn't totally washed up and been out of a job for several years will want to come anywhere near us.

McLaren's the favorite? IMO that means he probably won't get it. Two years ago, heck even 1 year ago I'd have been against McLaren as an appointment - not thinking he's good enough. These days I'd have him like a shot, he's such an improvement on what we've had. However I doubt he'd want to come - in fact I'm pretty sure on it. (Can't see his Forrest tenure encouraging him to work for potty owners).

Not sure which is sadder - that I'd take him or that he wouldn't come. Venkeys haven't half messed us up.

Archived