BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who's the worst football player you've ever seen.

Nicky Reid for me. Fit as a butchers dog, could run all day, but usually round in circles chasing his own tail.

Norman Bell, as well, can't ever remember him scoring. In those days we played with a lone striker of Garner & Bell!! Yet everytime Kevin Stonehouse came on as sub he scored. :wacko:

You beat me to it. You couldn't fault him for trying but was useless with the ball. Richard Brown was cut from the same cloth.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicky Reid for me. Fit as a butchers dog, could run all day, but usually round in circles chasing his own tail.

Norman Bell, as well, can't ever remember him scoring. In those days we played with a lone striker of Garner & Bell!! Yet everytime Kevin Stonehouse came on as sub he scored. :wacko:

I loved the way Reid would lead the team out by charging full pelt at the riverside. As for Norman Bell he was a "Tryer" but left us for Dawen at the age of 28(possibly due to injury) He did score 10 goals in sixty appearances surprisingly.

Petrovic when we got tonked by 7 at Arsenal last season will take some beating for an individual performance. But God we've had a lot of @#/? down the years. Grabbi must head the lot given the transfer fee.

Villa at home was the worst 45 minutes I've ever seen a professional footballer make at Ewood in all my years, so much so even Kean took Petrovic off at half time.

Certainly not the worst Centre half we have had but not popular at the time, John Coddington. What is certain though is that he took the worst penalty I have seen in my life, against Palace in the late 60's. He had two attempts and missed them both, after taking a twenty yard run up he mishit it and it barely reached the Keeper. For some reason the referee ordered a retake and he repeated the long run up again and again it only just reached the keeper.

Yeah, that was funny. He was probably too tired to hit the ball by the time he actually got to it !

I'm going to go against the grain and disagree with the OP here. Not that for one second I'm saying Palmer was great but he did an ugly job well in some games.

I remember going to Elland Road on New Years Day 1996 for a dire 0-0 draw. Despite the likes of Speed, McAllister, Shearer, Yeboah, Ripley and Bohinen playing in that game, the one memory I have was that every time we got the ball in midfield this big, long, skinny leg came from miles away and bundled us off it.

Technically Palmer was poor for sure but could be effective.

Take a look at this http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/164733-how-good-was-carlton-palmer/ . I presume that, like before we signed Batty or Savage, he's a player you didn't see anything in until he was in your side.

The problem is a lot of the really, really chaff players like Tommy Widdrington, who played 75 times for Southampton in the top flight before leaving aged 25 and going on to Grimsby, Port Vale, Hartlepool and Macc Town, are just forgotten.

Didn't Nathan Blake have a worse scoring record than Ward?

Javier De Pedro only played 45 minutes, he was so out of shape!

Fettis was league 2 level - got player of season a couple of times at York City.

Didn't Nathan Blake have a worse scoring record than Ward?

Javier De Pedro only played 45 minutes, he was so out of shape!

Fettis was league 2 level - got player of season a couple of times at York City.

Blake was OK as a striker when he put the effort in - he just didn't do it often enough. 13 goals in 37 starts compared to Wards 13 in 52 starts. That's a better strike rate than Leon Best has had at Coventry or Newcastle (I can't work his strike rate at Ewood out because I get a 'Division by 0' error.)

Blake's winner at Anfield in the FA Cup that time was a great finish. Had that been Ward he would have tried to trap it and then tamely headed the mis-control straight at their keeper whilst falling over.

• Backroom

De Pedro is a good shout. He was good at Sociedad though.

Yordi?

Nah, Yordi put in a legendary performance in the dressing room after the Worthington Cup win. Just running round in his pants, like ABBEy probably would :P

Nah, Yordi put in a legendary performance in the dressing room after the Worthington Cup win. Just running round in his pants, like ABBEy probably would :P

The final was his debut wasn't it? I remember he won absolutely everything in the air when he came on, thought he was going to be brilliant.

Saw some balding ginger @#/? playing in portugal once, bloody rubbish couldn't even run without tripping over his own two feet. And all he kept moaning about was how there was never any dew on the grass in portugal.

Sounds like management material.

Archived