BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clearout begins at Rovers

• Backroom

That's just the thing would people be happier if he just floated every one to the centre spot each time with no pace? He could do that but its so simple to deal with, it's much better to try and whip it hard and just about head height, they can often hit the front man but if not can be a real danger.

Plus his corner at Wigan was the best corner I've ever seen

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even his own team-mates (i.e. Bellamy) used to give him a rough time for it, and that was the Hughes era.

That shouldn't mean anything though. Bellamy is a very, very good player but he's a horrible, arrogant little **** who thinks everyone is rubbish compared to him. In his autobiography he recounts with pride a case where he texted Shearer some abuse for his performances. The season Bellamy was at the club Pedersen scored 9 in 34 in the league (only 4 less than Bellamy), about 5 of which were absolute stunners. It was his best season for us.

I've noticed sometimes he can deliver a few good corners in a row then as soon as one is cleared some numpties will scream 'FIRST MAN EVERY BLOODY TIME'

I've realised some football fans are just a bit thick

Bang on. How many times did he put it right on Dann's head at the back post last season? A lot from what I can remember. And his corner at Wigan, would that be the one that Samba scored from in the game we got beat 4-3? There was a lad in front of me having a rant just before he took that about Pedersen being **** at corners. I'm sure the selective amnesia came into play a few minutes later though and he managed to remove from his mind any memory of Pedersen playing a part.

It's Nixon and twitter but seems like Mauro is gone already and Murphy is paid to leave. Doubt it's true as it'so quiet here.

Wonder just how many millions did they pull back in for the second rate Argentinian.

I think your expectations are too high now we are out of the Prem. If we had still been in the Prem I might agree with you. MGP might now be at an age where Prem football is beyond him (like every other member of our squad these days) but he is still easily good enough for this level. I'm sure any manager in the Championship would be glad to take him if we were to pay up his contract and give him a free.

You keep trotting out that my expectations are too high, living on past glories etc. drog but you're quite wrong.

I've seen poor players in the top 3 divisions during my life as a rovers fan as I've explained previously. Pedersen, nice bloke and loyal servant that he is, has been pretty much ineffective over the last 3, 4 or maybe 5 seasons. That's nothing to do with high expectations, he just hasn't stood out amongst his peers...and to be saying that after a season in such a poor quality of league is quite damning.

Now, he would quite possibly do okay after a move, fact is he hasn't for us for quite some time now. If he went, I'd wish him well, he had some good games for us and scored some great goals. Like I said, I certainly don't dislike the guy, just don't think he's shown enough to be part of the squad.

Pedersen, a top bloke.

Should not be treated badly by fans. He does care about the club and is not a primadonna like Hoilett and Samba....

Exactly.

If he's not starting then we simply can't afford him. Nevertheless, he always put in 100% and seemed genuinely gutted when we lost.

This coupled with the fact that he's scored winning goals against Burnley and Man United at Old Trafford, was our top assister for years and even described a potential transfer to Spurs as a "sideways move" if memory serves.

Flawed player, certainly, but I'll only have good memories of MGP if he leaves this summer.

Can totally see us paying Murphy off. Why would he stick around for 12 months when we'll give him 60-80% of his contract upfront?

Take the money, move back to London with his family, and pick up the rest of his coaching badges, whilst taking a coaching role at Fulham.

Can totally see us paying Murphy off. Why would he stick around for 12 months when we'll give him 60-80% of his contract upfront?

This is something I've been thinking about in the drive for a clear out. Ok I can understand getting players off our books through selling them. But releasing them the way we have with Gomes and would probably have to with Murphy, what's in it for us? We don't save any money because they've got a contract that we have to pay off anyway, all we do is lose an asset. Obviously the folly was signing them on that length of contract in the first place, but the best option now in my opinion is wait for it to run out and get whatever tiny scraps we can out of these players in the time being. Murphy, cretin though he is, played the odd good game last season like Derby away (cup) and Birmingham at home. Gomes could still have got a few goals as a super sub. The only advantage I can see in what we're doing, which is paying players to leave, is if they're disrupting morale.

This is something I've been thinking about in the drive for a clear out. Ok I can understand getting players off our books through selling them. But releasing them the way we have with Gomes and would probably have to with Murphy, what's in it for us? We don't save any money because they've got a contract that we have to pay off anyway, all we do is lose an asset. Obviously the folly was signing them on that length of contract in the first place, but the best option now in my opinion is wait for it to run out and get whatever tiny scraps we can out of these players in the time being. Murphy, cretin though he is, played the odd good game last season like Derby away (cup) and Birmingham at home. Gomes could still have got a few goals as a super sub. The only advantage I can see in what we're doing, which is paying players to leave, is if they're disrupting morale.

If they accept a reduced amount then i suppose it makes sense. Best way would be out on loan for 12 mnths till contract ends, even if someone only pays half then it;s like paying half the contract up. I suppose offering a lump sum saves the club in paying their insurance, both employment and medical. Plus there may be some tax implications so it must represent a decent saving otherwise it'd never be done.

For Gomes, we might be letting him go somewhere where he can play a lot of games in the final year of his career.

Why should the club or any of us care about that? He signed a contract, as far as I'm concerned if Rovers wanted him to scrub toilets in the final year of his career then he can damn well do that. Otherwise he can buy out his contract and give us half a million instead of the other way around.

You're probably right tomphil. I just find myself questioning all Venkys business decisions after the Berg fiasco, it sometimes seems as if they don't understand how a contract works.

Henrique's move back to portugal confirmed too. Seems a coincidence that they are desperate to shift a few off the books on the day Luke Murphy is due to sign for Leeds because of higher wages....I'm half expecting Rovers to go in with an improved late offer.

Henrique's move back to portugal confirmed too. Seems a coincidence that they are desperate to shift a few off the books on the day Luke Murphy is due to sign for Leeds because of higher wages....I'm half expecting Rovers to go in with an improved late offer.

Isn't that the problem? Offering too much for too little

Archived